• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Heinz Dilemma

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Do universal ethical principles trump legal ethical principles? In a dilemma where you want to save the one you love, are you willing to circumvent the law despite knowing it is morally wrong to steal to save your loved one, why and why not?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Do universal ethical principles trump legal ethical principles? In a dilemma where you want to save the one you love, are you willing to circumvent the law despite knowing it is morally wrong to steal to save your loved one, why and why not?

The post-conventional option might just promote anarchy, hence the realistic option is to steal and accept any punishment. :oops:

joe1776

Our moral intuition (conscience) seems satisfied that, in a moral dilemma, such as you describe, we should settle on the option which does the least harm. So, lying, stealing, killing... all are OK at times.

Nous

Premium Member
Do universal ethical principles trump legal ethical principles?
Define "legal ethical principles." I don't know what that phrase means. Do you mean just laws? If so, then the answer to your question is emphatically "yes". After all, any law can be be enacted.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Define "legal ethical principles." I don't know what that phrase means. Do you mean just laws? If so, then the answer to your question is emphatically "yes". After all, any law can be be enacted.

legal ethical principles ergo the law of the land (the video would've given clear indication). Stopping at traffic lights, obeying traffic speed etc

Nous

Premium Member
legal ethical principles ergo the law of the land (the video would've given clear indication).
So it would be a "legal ethical principle" if some country enacted a law that allowed husbands to burn their wives alive if the husband determine that she disobeyed him.

My answer to your question, then, is an emphatic "yes". Universal ethical principles definitely "trump" laws. I don't see how the question poses any "dilemma" whatsoever.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Sure, but that is only the lesser half of the question, because legal principles have no ethical value. They are just rules backed by some form of political authority.

The interesting question to ask is how and when to implement general ethical principles and how, when, why and with which consequences should we go against them.

For true morality to exist, the answers will be all over the place, as people meet and develop their own moral discernments.

It is not anarchy. It is learning better according to the specific situations.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
So it would be a "legal ethical principle" if some country enacted a law that allowed husbands to burn their wives alive if the husband determine that she disobeyed him.

My answer to your question, then, is an emphatic "yes". Universal ethical principles definitely "trump" laws. I don't see how the question poses any "dilemma" whatsoever.

Because the dilemma comes in the fact that if universal principle trumps the laws of the land this would lead to anarchy. Although we have shared moral values despite geographical locations, we don't have the same value systems. Laws are in place to mitigate personal impulses that may lead to destructive behavior.

Nous

Premium Member
Because the dilemma comes in the fact that if universal principle trumps the laws of the land this would lead to anarchy.
Utter nonsense. Recognizing the objective moral fact (or "universal ethical principle") that slavery is immoral is how slavery became illegal in the US. It did not lead to anarchy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Apparently, I'm in the post-conventional stage of moral development, at least according to the video.

And I thought this was going to be a thread about ketchup. ;)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Sure, but that is only the lesser half of the question, because legal principles have no ethical value. They are just rules backed by some form of political authority.

The interesting question to ask is how and when to implement general ethical principles and how, when, why and with which consequences should we go against them.

The latter would lead to a slippery slope though because laws would be circumstantial based on what you're saying here..

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Utter nonsense. Recognizing the objective moral fact (or "universal ethical principle") that slavery is immoral is how slavery became illegal in the US. It did not lead to anarchy.

But that is not a universal principle because everyone did not share the same sentiments.