• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'hmm.. Interesting' thread

Renji

The only show where I've actually gone out of my way to watch Simon Cowell is when he was on Top Gear. I don't see the appeal of any of those "vote someone off at the end of the episode" show, whether they're dancing, building fires, or running businesses.

Hmm... interesting.

The thing that makes me interested in AI are the judges comments and the talent, not the voting off:D Hmm, interesting

xkatz

Lots of TV is crap, but Top Gear all by itself outweighs all of that to the point where, on average, TV is improving.

The Stig > Simon Cowell, Jeff Probst and Ryan Seacrest put together.

Hmm... interesting.

I'll admit there is some decent TV (like Pawn Stars IMO). But unfortunately most TV shows are not as good or interesting as TV shows 10-20 years ago. And their is an unhealthy trend toward reality TV and competitive shows, which are the scum of the Earth IMO.

Hmmmm... interesting.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The thing that makes me interested in AI are the judges comments and the talent, not the voting off:D Hmm, interesting
It isn't the voting off that I have a problem with specifically. It's just the mark of a general trend I've noticed: if a show has someone voted off at the end of the episode, it's almost certain that the show is awful.

(Note: this does not include the Amazing Race. Teams on that show aren't voted off; they're eliminated by coming in last)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'll admit there is some decent TV (like Pawn Stars IMO). But unfortunately most TV shows are not as good or interesting as TV shows 10-20 years ago.
You really think so? I remember there being a lot of crap on TV growing up. Over the last 10-20 years, the cheesy sitcom has virtually died out - you couldn't swing a cat on network TV without hitting a dozen shows with laugh tracks covering horribly unfunny jokes... now all that's left is Two and a Half Men.

Renji

Lots of TV is crap, but Top Gear all by itself outweighs all of that to the point where, on average, TV is improving.

The Stig > Simon Cowell, Jeff Probst and Ryan Seacrest put together.

Hmm... interesting.

But I think J. Lo > the Stig... haha, jk... J. Lo is in AI now, so, I'm interested.:D

BTW, I think AI used to have 2 hosts (well if my memory serves me right). Another one is Bryan Duncleman (or I was thinking of another show.hmmm). Hmm, interesting.

xkatz

You really think so? I remember there being a lot of crap on TV growing up. Over the last 10-20 years, the cheesy sitcom has virtually died out - you couldn't swing a cat on network TV without hitting a dozen shows with laugh tracks covering horribly unfunny jokes... now all that's left is Two and a Half Men.

Well I personally think sitcoms are a step up from reality shows.

Renji

It isn't the voting off that I have a problem with specifically. It's just the mark of a general trend I've noticed: if a show has someone voted off at the end of the episode, it's almost certain that the show is awful.

Yep. But who knows, for the next few years, the trend might be changed (voting in the contestants instead of voting them out, as I've watched in a gag show:D)

(Note: this does not include the Amazing Race. Teams on that show aren't voted off; they're eliminated by coming in last)

I wasn't able to watch the Amazing Race after season 4..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yep. But who knows, for the next few years, the trend might be changed (voting in the contestants instead of voting them out, as I've watched in a gag show:D)
Some new show will come along and be successful, and then everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and follow it. Seinfeld and Friends were hits, so everyone did ensemble sitcoms. Survivor was a hit, so everyone else is doing so-called "reality" shows.

There will be some new big thing to come along. I don't know what it will be, but after more than a decade of Survivor ripoffs, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Renji

Some new show will come along and be successful, and then everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and follow it. Seinfeld and Friends were hits, so everyone did ensemble sitcoms. Survivor was a hit, so everyone else is doing so-called "reality" shows.

There will be some new big thing to come along. I don't know what it will be, but after more than a decade of Survivor ripoffs, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Yeah, scripted reality shows.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, scripted reality shows.
Oh, crap.

You know what? I think you're right.

That's the new trend: we've got a decade of shows like The Hills and The Real Housewives of Orange County to look forward to.

Well, at least I've got my DVDs. Hopefully they'll be enough for me to ride out the pop culture apocalypse.

Hmm. Interesting. :(

Renji

I didn't even realize it had gone.

I miss Mastermind. I know it's still being made, but we don't get it on any of the channels I get here any more.

Hmm. Interesting.

Hmm, I am not actually sure if it's already gone or when it is gone. The TV network in my country stopped airing it many years ago while the show is still running. Since then, I haven't found the show on any channels here.

Renji

Oh, crap.

You know what? I think you're right.

That's the new trend: we've got a decade of shows like The Hills and The Real Housewives of Orange County to look forward to.

Well, at least I've got my DVDs. Hopefully they'll be enough for me to ride out the pop culture apocalypse.

Hmm. Interesting. :(

Do you know the show 'Trading Spouses'? I used to watch the show every weekend. Not sure though if it's scripted or something. hmm, interesting.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
:eek:About 30 years ago, I saw Basketball star Kareem Abdul Jabar singing "Short People".:eek: (Most people are short to him).