• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Israel/Palestine Discourse Monopoly

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Hi there,

I am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?

And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world? An example is the conflict in DRC which is an insane humanitarian crisis with a long history, yet the plight of these people are relatively neglected:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi there,

I am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?

People's motivations for discussing or being interested in this conflict will inevitably vary, so I can speak for myself, and I know my reasons are similar to those of many people in my part of the world.
  • My country has a long history with Israel, including four wars in the 25 years between 1948 and 1973, and also borders it geographically. I have older relatives and ancestors who were closely affected by the various effects of those wars (including at least one who was conscripted and stationed near the frontline in one of the wars).
  • I have Palestinian and Israeli friends, including Palestinians with whom I grew up. Some of the former were displaced and forced to relocate to another country, where I met them, due to decades-old Israeli policies. Those who are still in Palestinian territories continue to live in fear for their safety, the safety of their families and friends, and their future given, among other things, Israel's continuing occupation of the West Bank, the IDF's military strikes that tend to kill large numbers of civilians (like the ongoing bombardment of Gaza), and the blockade against Gaza—as well as the threat of Israel's policy of administrative detention whereby it can detain a person for months or even a year or more without any formal charges (more on that here and here).

As for the Israeli ones, a friend had left Israel a mere few days before the October 7 massacre, so he was safe, thankfully, but would have been quite close to where the attack happened if he had stayed. I don't know whether he would have been safe in that case. Another is currently in another country but has family and friends there, many of whom were terrified for their lives in the days following the attack.
The ongoing tension and escalation of violence, which has lasted for decades and the vast majority of whose victims are Palestinian civilians like the people I know, is a source of concern for me and an issue in which I feel I have personal stakes, due to the abovementioned reasons.

And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world? An example is the conflict in DRC which is an insane humanitarian crisis with a long history, yet the plight of these people are relatively neglected:

I have been following the news about the DRC and Sudan, but I will admit that the conflicts in both, especially the former (as I have known many Sudanese people but no Congolese ones), are not as close to home for me as the Israeli-Palestinian one. This is not to say in any way that they are less important or less tragic; it is just that on a strictly personal level, I'm not as invested in either, but I do try to stay informed about them as much as possible and would also try to help in any way I could, even if it were small (e.g., via donations to humanitarian organizations).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi there,

I've often wondered about the same question. I do know that, for as long as I can remember, the US media and government have focused on the geopolitics of Israel more so than with other nations around the world. While we often joke about how Americans know very little about geography, history, or world affairs, a lot of that is attributable to media who generally refrain from covering most other areas of the world.

One could just as easily ask why the media spend so much time and energy covering the Kardashians or the exploits of Taylor Swift when there are much more important stories out there.

I would also mention that religion could also play a major role in directing people's attentions to that area of the world - more so than other areas. After all, it's the Holy Land for multiple religions, so it's natural that people would have an interest in what goes on there for that reason alone.

I agree that there are other areas of the world that should be looked at. Even if the mainstream media aren't inclined to give much coverage to areas like the Congo, one can still pay attention to and get information on that and other regions of the world.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Hi there,

Media coverage.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What do you think the motivations for their selection in what the media covers are?

The Israel-Palestine conflict has always had a lot of media coverage. It is one of the longest conflicts in the recent history. The West tends to be very interested in news concerning it's big allies and it's enemies, but little interest in others.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
People's motivations for discussing or being interested in this conflict will inevitably vary, so I can speak for myself, and I know my reasons are similar to those of many people in my part of the world.
  • My country has a long history with Israel, including four wars in the 25 years between 1948 and 1973, and also borders it geographically. I have older relatives and ancestors who were closely affected by the various effects of those wars (including at least one who was conscripted and stationed near the frontline in one of the wars).
  • I have Palestinian and Israeli friends, including Palestinians with whom I grew up. Some of the former were displaced and forced to relocate to another country, where I met them, due to decades-old Israeli policies. Those who are still in Palestinian territories continue to live in fear for their safety, the safety of their families and friends, and their future given, among other things, Israel's continuing occupation of the West Bank, the IDF's military strikes that tend to kill large numbers of civilians (like the ongoing bombardment of Gaza), and the blockade against Gaza—as well as the threat of Israel's policy of administrative detention whereby it can detain a person for months or even a year or more without any formal charges (more on that here and here).

As for the Israeli ones, a friend had left Israel a mere few days before the October 7 massacre, so he was safe, thankfully, but would have been quite close to where the attack happened if he had stayed. I don't know whether he would have been safe in that case. Another is currently in another country but has family and friends there, many of of whom were terrified for their lives in the days following the attack.
The ongoing tension and escalation of violence, which has lasted for decades and the vast majority of whose victims are Palestinian civilians like the people I know, is a source of concern for me and an issue in which I feel I have personal stakes, due to the abovementioned reasons.

I have been following the news about the DRC and Sudan, but I will admit that the conflicts in both, especially the former (as I have known many Sudanese people but no Congolese ones), are not as close to home for me as the Israeli-Palestinian one. This is not to say in any way that they are less important or less tragic; it is just that on a strictly personal level, I'm not as invested in either, but I do try to stay informed about them as much as possible and would also try to help in any way I could, even if it were small (e.g., via donations to humanitarian organizations).
I get that. Especially with regards to you having Israeli and Palestinian friends.

We have a strong muslim community in Cape Town, so they make a big uproar about Palestine (even though they dont speak about the plights of muslims in other reasons), and with South Africas struggle against apartheid in the past, the issues in Palestine hit close to home with south africans and the government has no issue calling out the atrocities happening there.

Ironically, we also have many Congolese people in South Africa, yet South a
Africans are notorious for being ignorant of political issues in other countries. So most south africans dont know about what is happening in Congo. Which is rather tragic.

I cared about Israel because of the muslims and my Christian past so it was personal for me then. I care about Africa now because of researching South African history and the history of my people and by extension Africa. And my girlfriend is Congolese. So the whole thing is personal for me now and that is why I know.

So I think you give good insight into the personal connection behind the coverage of what happens in Israel and Palestine.

Do you think the media coverage of Ukraine was also personal?

And how do we get to the point that people become personally connected to the issues that are occurring in Africa?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The Israel-Palestine conflict has always had a lot of media coverage. It is one of the longest conflicts in the recent history. The West tends to be very interested in news concerning it's big allies and it's enemies, but little interest in others.
I fully agree with you

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I've often wondered about the same question. I do know that, for as long as I can remember, the US media and government have focused on the geopolitics of Israel more so than with other nations around the world. While we often joke about how Americans know very little about geography, history, or world affairs, a lot of that is attributable to media who generally refrain from covering most other areas of the world.

One could just as easily ask why the media spend so much time and energy covering the Kardashians or the exploits of Taylor Swift when there are much more important stories out there.

I would also mention that religion could also play a major role in directing people's attentions to that area of the world - more so than other areas. After all, it's the Holy Land for multiple religions, so it's natural that people would have an interest in what goes on there for that reason alone.

I agree that there are other areas of the world that should be looked at. Even if the mainstream media aren't inclined to give much coverage to areas like the Congo, one can still pay attention to and get information on that and other regions of the world.
Certainly the religious connection to the region of many, which makes it personal, makes the issue a hot topic.

What do you think America and Europes motivations are behind covering Israel and pop culture over other issues are? Do you think it is to serve national interests or distract people from something else maybe?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Certainly the religious connection to the region of many, which makes it personal, makes the issue a hot topic.

What do you think America and Europes motivations are behind covering Israel and pop culture over other issues are? Do you think it is to serve national interests or distract people from something else maybe?

David1967

Premium Member
am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?
For one, it is constantly on the news, so we see what is happening there on a daily basis. And the loss of civilian life in Gaza is devastatingly high. When we daily see images of dead and dying children and the anguish of their parents it's unimaginable to many of us that this is still continuing. And outside powers like the USA, and Iran, to name but two players, pouring in money and weapons into the warring factions is sure to keep the conflict going which will only increase the loss of innocent life.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A Jew is very likely to have family, friends, and/or acquaintances directly impacted by what goes on in Israel. Perhaps more so, a Jew is very likely to have family, friends, and/or acquaintances directly impacted by the very real threat of antisemitism.

"Never again" is more than a slogan. It's even more than an aspiration. It's increasingly presenting itself as a visceral concern.

At the same time, we are all too often ignorant of (or dismissive of) other developments in the world.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
A Jew is very likely to have family, friends, and/or acquaintances directly impacted by what goes on in Israel. Perhaps more so, a Jew is very likely to have family, friends, and/or acquaintances directly impacted by the very real threat of antisemitism.

"Never again" is more than a slogan. It's even more than an aspiration. It's increasingly presenting itself as a visceral concern.

At the same time, we are all too often ignorant of (or dismissive of) other developments in the world.
It totally makes sense why Jews are invested. You guys seem to be a close knit community, you teach the history of your struggles to the next generation and you should protect your own and your family.

And your guys connection to the issue made me wonder about another topic: why there are people who support other foreign issues when they don't pay as much attention to their own communities? For instance a criticism I have of South Africans is that they care so much about Palestine, showing flags and protesting, yet they dont show the same zeal for their own struggling crime ridden communities. In fact there is often apathy and ignorance to local issues, especially fron the upper class.

Bthoth

Hi there,

I am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
Every channel on TV has that conflict. It's everywhere.
Now the FBI is publishing to watch out for crime based on the conflict.
Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?
Because my government puts billions of dollars into the mess. Today was the first time that I saw an allocation 21m going to palestinian humanitarian aid.
And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world?
I was sick of the ukrainian mess and when the US started publishing reducing the money that divide, within days... 10/7 terrorist attack broke out.
An example is the conflict in DRC which is an insane humanitarian crisis with a long history, yet the plight of these people are relatively neglected:

Far less media.

The middle east conflict has been a US issue, since the UN opened it's doors over half a century ago.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

It has exposed a great deal of anti-israel and anti-jewish bias and bigotry. It is similar to the George Floyd protests and the BLM movement which exposed institutional racism in the criminal justice system in America against black and brown people.

This sort of bigotry has been in hiding, and potentially effects everyone. When one group is stereotyped, it makes it easier to stereotype others. Bigotry and bias is a mindset. It's a cognitive malfunction, but, it's also like a contagious disease.

It's important to push back against it, and hopefully, enlighten those who are unaware of their own inherent unwarranted negative judgements based on class.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hi there,

That may be a perception bias. People, like me, who find the actions of both sides equally despicable may utter their opinion once, if even that, so that only the partisans remain in the debate. You only hear the loud voices.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hi there,

In no particular order....
- My tax dollars are given to Israel to oppress, kill, & rob Palestinians.
- Israel is a brutal apartheid state that is committing war crimes &
violent conquest.
- Israel foments much of the trouble in the Mid-East that involves USA.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

When it comes to US media, I might look at what they cover and how they cover it, but I also pay attention to what they don't cover (or certain pieces of information which might be missing in a news story).

When I was a kid first learning about the topic, it was often mentioned within the context of Cold War geopolitics which was the main issue of the day. Israel was considered to be on our side, while their enemies were presumed to be on the Soviet side.

After the Cold War ended, the focus of coverage on world events seemed to shift a bit, although Israel and the Middle East in general were always prominent. It's in a strategic part of the world - a crossroads of many ancient trading routes.

Of course, it's an old political tactic to distract the public with overseas wars. It has helped to fire up the masses and unify them, although in this case, the public seems quite divided over the conflict.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
both sides equally despicable

@Samael_Khan, Comments like the one above demand correction. They are happening everyday all over the world. I am working on a thread right now trying to correct this sort of outrageous, ignorant mischaracterization of the Israeli's response when comparing the enemy they are facing.

This is why the dabate MUST happen. Because ignorant outsiders accuse israel if being equal to Hamas. Hamas gang raped and disemboweled innocent women. They forcibly seized control of Gaza. Tortured their political rivals. Hung one of them from a communication tower. They burned people alive. These are some of the worst of the worst atrocities that can be done to a human being. Hamas has produced a small army of these sort of human-monsters. I have been very careful with my sourcing for this information. I avoid biased reporting.

Here's someone who is equating the Israeli response to Hamas as equally dispicable. That is incredibly dangerous to jewish people everywhere. The hate crimes against jewish people are spiking in america and around the globe.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Israel foments much of the trouble in the Mid-East that involves USA.

Israel is stabilzing the region. That is why Egypt partnered with Israel to seal the borders of Gaza and implemented a blockade of their supplies. Your opinions, as usual, are not fact based.

Here is the video I posted recently. She is a credible source.