• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Israel/Palestine Discourse Monopoly

Orbit

I'm a planet
Hi there,

I am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?

And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world? An example is the conflict in DRC which is an insane humanitarian crisis with a long history, yet the plight of these people are relatively neglected:

1. I pay attention to wars that my tax dollars fund.
2. I have friends who live in Israel
3. It's impossible to escape it in the U.S. media
4. It prompts concern about freedom of speech in the U.S. due to current events
5. Potential for escalation in the region and for dragging the U.S. into another senseless war
6. Human rights abuses enabled by my tax dollars are especially egregious

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
In no particular order....
- My tax dollars are given to Israel to oppress, kill, & rob Palestinians.
- Israel is a brutal apartheid state that is committing war crimes &
violent conquest.
- Israel foments much of the trouble in the Mid-East that involves USA.

After many requests, you continue to avoid explaining the historical context you use to make such claims.

Bthoth

@Samael_Khan, Comments like the one above demand correction. They are happening everyday all over the world. I am working on a thread right now trying to correct this sort of outrageous, ignorant mischaracterization of the Israeli's response when comparing the enemy they are facing.
How did they become enemies? Please do not mention a religion. Focus on crimes. Hint: illegal occupation.
This is why the dabate MUST happen.
I agree and remove religion as part of it.

Because ignorant outsiders accuse israel if being equal to Hamas. Hamas gang raped and disemboweled innocent women.
I saw the last couple days of news feeds, putting a focus on those atrocities.

They forcibly seized control of Gaza. Tortured their political rivals. Hung one of them from a communication tower. They burned people alive. These are some of the worst of the worst atrocities that can be done to a human being. Hamas has produced a small army of these sort of human-monsters. I have been very careful with my sourcing for this information. I avoid biased reporting.
The bias is focused on the atrocities of one side. And when you site HAMAS, write out what the term means to begin please.
Here's someone who is equating the Israeli response to Hamas as equally dispicable.
Yes it is...... especially to even mention religion as a part of it. Both are of the abrahamic scope of global religions, direct brethren.
That is incredibly dangerous to jewish people everywhere. The hate crimes against jewish people are spiking in america and around the globe.
I know and that is because the bigots equate israel to mean or represent Jewish people, when in fact the majority of the global jewish population do not and WILL NOT live within israel but for some reason, the rude continue to equate israel to Jews.

That must stop!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi there,

I am interested in hearing peoples motivation behind discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Why is it popular in discourse and what motivates people to support either side, often with such emotional investment, especially if they are not Israeli or Palestinian?

And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world? An example is the conflict in DRC which is an insane humanitarian crisis with a long history, yet the plight of these people are relatively neglected:

My prediction is Israel or Iran will likely have a nuclear war with each other around 2050 or will be the catalyst for the third world war around that time.
That makes me interested.

Bthoth

Israel is stabilzing the region. That is why Egypt partnered with Israel to seal the borders of Gaza and implemented a blockade of their supplies. Your opinions, as usual, are not fact based.
The reality is, israel has destabilized the region. It started with irgun, the original labeled terrorist of the region bombing british locations.

Likewise:

Actual rabbi, stating their own opinion.

How many observe rabbi as an authority?

icehorse

Premium Member
And why do people focus on this often prioritising iy over other conflicts around the world?

Excellent OP, you beat me to the punch. I was going to include the phrase "selective outrage" ;)

Closer to the conflict we have Syria and Yemen, and I think between those two, over 500,000 civilians have been killed. Within a few hundred miles of Israel. Crickets.

For lack of an agreed upon term, I'm going to use "woke" to summarize the post-modern, anti-logic, anti-science, anti-West, divisive ideology that has managed to capture universities, then silicon valley, and now the media.

I think that the woke, anti-Western-civilization ideology is driving much of the attention. This conflict is fairly unique, because if you believe in the woke, oppressed vs. oppressor worldview, then you have Israel as a "Western oppressor" and Hamas as being the not-West, "oppressed".

Most of the other massively destructive conflicts we're talking about don't fit as nicely into the oppressed vs. oppressor, woke ideology.

Bthoth

After many requests, you continue to avoid explaining the historical context you use to make such claims.
How can you say that?

Though the timing of a new security package remains unclear, the U.S. is by far the biggest supplier of military aid to Israel, contributing around $130 billion since its founding.

• With the U.S.' help, Israel has formed one of the most formidable and technologically advanced militaries in the Middle East.
  • Both Republican and Democratic administrations and bipartisan leaders in Congress have approved aid to Israel over several decades. In return, the U.S. has cultivated a strategic military ally in the Middle East.
  • As part of an agreement reached under the Obama administration, Israel receives $3.8 billion annually for its military and missile defense systems.
  • Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. foreign military financing, which has represented around 15% of the country's defense budget in recent years.

The UN Special Rapporteur’s report echoes recent findings by Palestinian, Israeli and international human rights organisations who analized Israel’s 55-year occupation of the Palestinian Territory.

“There is today in the Palestinian territory occupied by Israel since 1967 a deeply discriminatory dual legal and political system, that privileges the 700,000 Israeli Jewish settlers living in the 300 illegal Israeli settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank,” said Michael Lynk, the UN Special Rapporteur for the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967.

‘Open-air prison’

Mentioning the lack of rights of people living in the same vicinity, but separated by walls, checkpoints and roads, Mr. Lynk acknowledged that “there are more than three million Palestinians living under an oppressive rule of institutional discrimination and without a path to a genuine Palestinian state that the world has long promised, is their right”.

What's the Israel-Palestinian conflict about and how did it start?​

1701881247955.png
reuters.com
https://www.reuters.com › world › middle-east › whats-is...

Oct 9, 2023 — ... conflict between Israelis and Palestinians which has rumbled on for seven decades and destabilised the Middle East.

All three items directly addressed and all three point out the problem has existed for over half a century.

How could any honest soul, NOT KNOW THAT!

icehorse

Premium Member
How can you say that?
First, I didn't address my post to you.

Second, your evidence paints only a small part of the picture. I'm not saying it's wrong, only that it's incomplete.

So I can understand how you come to the conclusions you come to if that's the only evidence you're considering. But be aware, you're looking at only a small sliver of what's important to consider.

Bthoth

What's your historical context for making such a claim? (Because that doesn't seem accurate.)
I posted them many times over............. and since I am aware of my countries spending, I have observed the divide, destabilization, apartheid and atrocities for decades and decades.

And what bugs me the most, is how the rude equate israel to mean and represent Jews. That state has done more damage to Jews and judaism, than anything since ww2.

And I know why, do you? (edit) Skip that question as you claimed to have no idea that the divide is happening.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Excellent OP, you beat me to the punch. I was going to include the phrase "selective outrage" ;)

Closer to the conflict we have Syria and Yemen, and I think between those two, over 500,000 civilians have been killed. Within a few hundred miles of Israel. Crickets.

For lack of an agreed upon term, I'm going to use "woke" to summarize the post-modern, anti-logic, anti-science, anti-West, divisive ideology that has managed to capture universities, then silicon valley, and now the media.

I think that the woke, anti-Western-civilization ideology is driving much of the attention. This conflict is fairly unique, because if you believe in the woke, oppressed vs. oppressor worldview, then you have Israel as a "Western oppressor" and Hamas as being the not-West, "oppressed".

Most of the other massively destructive conflicts we're talking about don't fit as nicely into the oppressed vs. oppressor, woke ideology.
Not to derail the thread, but your sweeping characterization of universities as "anti-logic, anti-science, anti-West" is wrong and absurd.

Bthoth

First, I didn't address my post to you.

Second, your evidence paints only a small part of the picture. I'm not saying it's wrong, only that it's incomplete.

So I can understand how you come to the conclusions you come to if that's the only evidence you're considering. But be aware, you're looking at only a small sliver of what's important to consider.

What's your historical context for making such a claim? (Because that doesn't seem accurate.)
a..... I read more than just the comments to me.
b.... the evidence covers far more than opinion but decades and decades of reoccurring problems
c... the big picture must include why the divide even exists. I understand the problem and why, DO YOU?

You may enjoy the media and political angle(s) but you care very little about the people actually involved, oppressed and being adversely affected on any side!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I get that. Especially with regards to you having Israeli and Palestinian friends.

We have a strong muslim community in Cape Town, so they make a big uproar about Palestine (even though they dont speak about the plights of muslims in other reasons), and with South Africas struggle against apartheid in the past, the issues in Palestine hit close to home with south africans and the government has no issue calling out the atrocities happening there.

Ironically, we also have many Congolese people in South Africa, yet South a
Africans are notorious for being ignorant of political issues in other countries. So most south africans dont know about what is happening in Congo. Which is rather tragic.

I cared about Israel because of the muslims and my Christian past so it was personal for me then. I care about Africa now because of researching South African history and the history of my people and by extension Africa. And my girlfriend is Congolese. So the whole thing is personal for me now and that is why I know.

So I think you give good insight into the personal connection behind the coverage of what happens in Israel and Palestine.

Yes, it makes a lot of sense that the struggle against apartheid would engender sympathy for other populations experiencing systematic persecution, and I think the noticeable pro-Palestinian sentiment of Ireland, for example, stems from similar historical reasons that have made it more able to closely relate to the ongoing issues that Palestinians are facing.

I'm also interested in the history of colonialism and exploitation in Africa, since that's where I'm from as well. I can relate to what you said regarding caring about Africa due to researching your own country's history.

I see it as an aspect of human nature that people tend to care the most about the issues that are physically and emotionally closest to them. I only see a problem when there's approval of or complete apathy toward others' suffering even when one becomes aware of it, but prioritizing some issues over others on a personal level seems to me a normal and usually necessary thing to do.

Do you think the media coverage of Ukraine was also personal?

I would say that a lot of it was, and al-Jazeera actually ran an article about this because of the stark discrepancy between how some Western media outlets reported about the Ukraine war and how they reported about other wars:

I suspect that the media in most countries tend to focus on issues that are closest to home, which, again, I find generally reasonable and normal. However, Western powers have frequently gotten themselves involved in overseas conflicts and wars, so many Western media outlets' different coverage of those wars compared to the one in Ukraine was especially jarring and harmfully inconsistent. It was as though they had a different set of moral and political standards for each part of the world.

If Western media (in general) reported about, say, France's involvement in Africa or the US' foreign policy as critically and consistently as they did the Ukraine war, I suspect that many voters would vote differently and have a different view of their respective governments' policies as well as how their tax money was spent.

And how do we get to the point that people become personally connected to the issues that are occurring in Africa?

This is a great question, and I don't really have a definitive answer. I don't know whether personal connection is a realistic goal either, because I wouldn't expect someone in, say, Thailand or Iceland to feel personally connected to Africa's issues, just like I don't feel personally connected to the issues in either country. There can be a feeling of strong empathy (not just sympathy) when struggles are similar or shared, as in the case of South Africa and Ireland in relation to Palestine, and I think that a lot of policy reforms could be achieved through campaigns that raise awareness even if most people still don't feel personally connected to issues in relatively distant countries.

At the end of the day, voting a warmonger out of office could save hundreds of thousands of lives, and doing so only requires that most voters disapprove of the warmonger, whether or not they feel personally connected to the struggle of the country targeted by the war of aggression.

For all of its flaws and deleterious effects, I think that social media have played an immensely useful role in bringing to light facts about many countries' history and issues as well as facets of people's daily lives there in ways that other forms of media have often failed to capture. An article about the IDF's bombardment of civilian areas could be 5,000 words long and still not have the same impact as just one or two pictures of a family under the rubble or a severely injured child crying over losing their parents in an airstrike.

icehorse

Premium Member
Not to derail the thread, but your sweeping characterization of universities as "anti-logic, anti-science, anti-West" is wrong and absurd.
Of course I simplified the growth of woke, and of course it's not that black and white. But I'll defend that it's largely true, and if you want to start a thread on that topic I'll be happy to dive into it with you.

icehorse

Premium Member
b.... the evidence covers far more than opinion but decades and decades of reoccurring problems
c... the big picture must include why the divide even exists. I understand the problem and why, DO YOU?
NO ONE understands this situation fully. No one! It's insanely complex and twisty-turny. That's why I rail against everyone who thinks they can make well informed, simplistic declarations on this topic.

You may enjoy the media and political angle(s) but you care very little about the people actually involved, oppressed and being adversely affected on any side!

I think I care about the people more than you do. That said, I care about them from a utilitarian, long view, not the events of a few months.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Hi there,

I care because Zionism is pushed on Americans, and our corrupt politicians who are bought out by the Zionist lobby rob US taxpayers to the tune of billions each year to prop up a criminal state that commits crimes with our money and military hardware. We don't really have much of a choice but to care in America because of it being shoved down our throats. Even wanting aid to Israel being conditioned on them not using it to wantonly murder civilians is considered scandalous by most in Congress.

I also care because God and religion is often brought into this conflict, as if He gives deeds to physical lands, which I believe is blasphemous. I believe Israel is a spiritual nation, and Zionism is heretical. I find "Christian" Zionism, especially, to be outrageous. I've been a staunch anti-Zionist for about 20 years now, around the time Rachel Corrie was heartlessly murdered by the IDF.