• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jesus Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbiguousGuy

The others were produced quite a time after he was already dead. As for both Alexander the Great, and Caligula, there were various mythical elements that creeped into their stories. Alexander the great, for an example, was considered a god by some, as well as the son of a god.

I read a bio of Alexander several years ago. Actually I had it read to me by the author, a British woman historian of some age, as I recall. A Book-on-Tape. (Always unabridged. I despise the abridged stuff.)

And it was so interesting. At the Gordian Knot incident, the author actually raised her voice in outrage at the idea that Alex would have cheated by using a sword. All the stories otherwise were calumny!

Quite curious. You could hear her bias so clearly in the timbre of her voice. I remember thinking, "Now how in the heck does this woman know whether Alexander untied the knot or cut it? How does she even know that Alexander even visited the knot?"

She didn't know, of course. As with many scholars who let their own biases overcome clear thought, she was enraged by something which was a concoction within her own mind.

There were many other examples. I came away from that book believing much less in historical truth than I had before.

jelly

No. One is Hebrew-Aramaic, the other Greek. But the biblical Jesus only existed in the minds of those who wrote about him, and the believers who came after them.
so how many of the members of this forum that have flamed me and other wise been disrespectful calling my self and others trolls and otherwise being on high horses making jokes know biblical jesus' real name?
anyone?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Augustus (supposedly) ruled an empire for at least a decade. Hundreds of thousands of people knew of him. Coinage (I'm guessing). Documents. Contemporary writings.

Jesus? Well... virtually nothing if one discounts the NT.

I think that comparing Jesus to Augustus is way out of line in discussions of historicity, although I understand that you're only using it to explain your point.
Actually, it's not way out line. From a literary and art standpoint, they are portrayed nearly the same. In fact, one of the earliest bas reliefs depicting Jesus is an obvious rip-off of an earlier one depicting Augustus. People just didn't do this stuff with people who didn't exist.

AmbiguousGuy

Actually, it's not way out line. From a literary and art standpoint, they are portrayed nearly the same.

Well, yes, but not from an historical standpoint.

In fact, one of the earliest bas reliefs depicting Jesus is an obvious rip-off of an earlier one depicting Augustus. People just didn't do this stuff with people who didn't exist.

I just disagree. By the time the Jesus bas-relief was made, Jesus was already a God like unto the God Augustus. And any possibly historicity was long lost anyway. I mean, they had no man upon whom to model the relief.

jelly

After watching The God Who Wasn't There by Brian Flemming, I decided to write a book on the Jesus Myth. I've written papers for and against the subject in the past (as I've been on both sides of the issue), but decided to write a more in depth discussion on the subject, taking the position that a historical Jesus did in fact exist, but was not as the Bible portrays him.

As I would like this to be all inclusive, with me not leaving out anything that may be considered important, I would just like to get everyone's arguments for and against.

So basically, is the Jesus Myth true?
only if you believe it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, yes, but not from an historical standpoint.

I just disagree. By the time the Jesus bas-relief was made, Jesus was already a God like unto the God Augustus. And any possibly historicity was long lost anyway. I mean, they had no man upon whom to model the relief.
But the point is made that people didn't make bas-reliefs of non-existent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.