• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was on the alert that night - carrying a pager and what passed for a cellphone. And I still have the small generator I bought, still in the box after all these years.

It also was one of my all time favorite Simpson's episodes. The video link below does not show the wonderful ending to the episode.
I'd taken some precautions with my software. I was as
ready for Jan 1, 2000 as I could be. Alas, my accounting
program was dead in the water. It was a couple frantic
weeks before we got an update to fix the problem.

My operating system lets me specify a floating century.
I'm not sure, but I think I picked 1970.01.01 thru 2069.12.31
as the range for the mo/da.yr date field.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd taken some precautions with my software. I was as
ready for Jan 1, 2000 as I could be. Alas, my accounting
program was dead in the water. It was a couple frantic
weeks before we got an update to fix the problem.

My operating system lets me specify a floating century.
I'm not sure, but I think I picked 1970.01.01 thru 2069.12.31
as the range for the mo/da.yr date field.

Oh my, you didn't select 1970 to 2069...very brave of you, not something i have the courage to do... And its still working without smoke and tears???

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
funny-outdoor-signs-holly-ridge-veterinary-hospital-618cce5a57e6f__700.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I remember before Y2K there was a virus that was supposed to strike on a certain date, can't for the life of me remember the name of it... anyway they advised changing the date on your computer by a day as a remedy, our boss played it safe and changed it by 10 years. All our passwords became invalid and everyone was locked out, he managed to shut down the entire coal rail transport network for about 24 hours lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember before Y2K there was a virus that was supposed to strike on a certain date, can't for the life of me remember the name of it... anyway they advised changing the date on your computer by a day as a remedy, our boss played it safe and changed it by 10 years. All our passwords became invalid and everyone was locked out, he managed to shut down the entire coal rail transport network for about 24 hours lol
Computers are tricky things.
When trying new things, I run my experiments on duplicate
machines. Can't afford to lose access or corrupt data.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Computers are tricky things.
When trying new things, I run my experiments on duplicate
machines. Can't afford to lose access or corrupt data.

He ran the experiment on multiple machines, in fact every computer in 2 depots. Which was only about 6 back then but "every" was the problem.