• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with Holi.....
bhaktapur-nepal-holi-HOLI0219-b713df59f115452baa1374efb3e59ff2.jpg

Its a lot of fun.

A Hindu festival that celebrates diversity, yet how we're all made of the same stuff.

Good food, and good times. A bonfire is had, and its circumambulated(as a group, which is fun) to receive blessings, and remember a devotee named Prahlada.

I love it, the kids love it...

However the temple's two hours away. My husband has to take off work for this. So when they move the date at the last minute, it means we don't get to go. Not everyone has weekends off.

This is really quite the kick in the ***. I really needed something positive...

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
View attachment 89721

Its a lot of fun.

A Hindu festival that celebrates diversity, yet how we're all made of the same stuff.

Good food, and good times. A bonfire is had, and its circumambulated(as a group, which is fun) to receive blessings, and remember a devotee named Prahlada.

I love it, the kids love it...

However the temple's two hours away. My husband has to take off work for this. So when they move the date at the last minute, it means we don't get to go. Not everyone has weekends off.

This is really quite the kick in the ***. I really needed something positive...
I just looked that up, it looks like fun

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
How can they do that? I was curious and found that it's apparently fixed Holi marks the arrival of spring and the end of winter, coinciding with the full moon or Purnima on the evening of the Hindu month of Phalguna. Is Holi on March 24 or March 25? Know correct date, timing, history, significance and all about the Festival of Colours
I assume the impossibilities of lighting a bonfire in the rain, and preferring to wait for the ground to be without snow.

I think they've become a little more sissy about it in later years at the temple we go to... I get the rain problem. The snow... toughen up. They used to do it with bits of snow on the ground. They did it in the rain once, and skipped the bonfire. I see why they didn't do that again. This temple is built per Vedic standards, and that's not real easy to find in the Midwest, and some from the western states drive in for it. Its not a giant temple, so the year they did it indoors, it was PACKED.