• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You all just missed my neighborhood rattling burp.

What a loss.
What was it on the Calvin scale?

burping-at-the-table-v0-o05okmofwimb1.png

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Is it because an explorer pointed to a mountain and asked his native guide what's that that you have a mountain called "your finger you fool"?
Apparently a true story:

I live near a river and in a county named 'Sangamon.' The story is that when French explorer Pere Marquette was traveling south on what is now the Illinois River for the first time, he asked--as he had at every larger creek or river that entered into the larger river--what it's name was. Unbeknownst to the great explorer, they had passed out of the area that his guide knew; so the guide responded with "I don't know!"...and Marquette promptly wrote down what he said...Sangamon...in the language of his guide...

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently a true story:

I live near a river and in a county named 'Sangamon.' The story is that when French explorer Pere Marquette was traveling south on what is now the Illinois River for the first time, he asked--as he had at every larger creek or river that entered into the larger river--what it's name was. Unbeknownst to the great explorer, they had passed out of the area that his guide knew; so the guide responded with "I don't know!"...and Marquette promptly wrote down what he said...Sangamon...in the language of his guide...
That is a similar story regarding how kangaroos got their name.

Apocryphal or not, I like those stories.