• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We are speaking of Macron. We are not speaking of Orban. Imagine if Orban would have allowed such a spectacle.
:)
I don't feel offended as a Christian. I feel offended as an European. That is, that France is about much more than that.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
In a society such as contemporary France everyone is free to ridicule Christianity but not so much other faiths

Christianity is a soft and easy target and it has become very docile in comparison to some other faiths

Also, France has a very secular civic tradition so that's also a factor here

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't watch the opening ceremony or care about it, so I only knew about this through Google suggestions. I think it was an ill-conceived display that shouldn't have happened. I also realize that France has a history of irreverent expression in various media, though, so this didn't surprise me, as tacky and disrespectful to Christianity as I found it.

That said, I also think any given person's reaction to the display may function as a litmus test for consistency if they defended disrespectful cartoons of Muhammad against criticism but are now outraged about this. If no one has the right not to be offended (and I don't believe anyone has such a right), then that applies to everyone regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Carnivalesque shows ridicule the Olympic Games.
In another context that would have been very original. I mean...re-interpreting a work of art by Da Vinci.
But in this context it means to make France more and more fuchsia and less prestigious since Macron Le Bon Bon is in charge.
;)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In another context that would have been very original. I mean...re-interpreting a work of art by Da Vinci.
But in this context it means to make France more and more fuchsia and less prestigious since Macron Le Bon Bon is in charge.
;)

(Coloring mine.)

Homophobic vitriol only reflects on the people propagating it rather than anyone else. It also adds nothing of value to any serious discussion.

They
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?
They being typical Parisians. They were trying to being edgy and sophistication subverting the traditional only to find themselves looking ridiculous. I keep telling people that whole thing was just a bunch of opulent capitalist cringe and bull****. But you know people like shiny objects and that turd was shining like it was lit with a thousand lights, if you know what I mean.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought Macron was straight...
why homophobia?

Because the denigration you posted had these subtexts:

What did you mean by "make France more and more fuchsia" and "Macron Le Bon Bon"? How is that relevant to the OP?

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I didn't watch the opening ceremony or care about it, so I only knew about this through Google suggestions.

Me too

That said, I also think any given person's reaction to the display may function as a litmus test for consistency if they defended disrespectful cartoons of Muhammad against criticism but are now outraged about this. If no one has the right not to be offended (and I don't believe anyone has such a right), then that applies to everyone regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Great point. IMHO, those cartoons were intentionally offensive. Should violence result? No, of course not.

Can't we all agree that we should mot go out of our way to provke and insult?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Much ado about nothing.

It doesn't offend me, especially since I'm a non-Christian, but can we say that it's nothing to, say, a practicing Christian?

I think perceptions of it will vary and that it's not for me to decide whether a Christian should be offended by it or not, as long as they don't try to legally or physically prohibit such displays.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Great point. IMHO, those cartoons were intentionally offensive. Should violence result? No, of course not.

Agreed. Violence and legal prohibition (e.g., via blasphemy laws) are completely unacceptable and should never be on the table.

Can't we all agree that we should mot go out of our way to provke and insult?

I agree in most contexts, the reason I say "most" being that sometimes a subset of people will feel provoked or insulted, whether understandably or not, due to inherent conflict between their beliefs and others'. For instance, many non-Catholics or non-Muslims may be offended by being depicted as corrupt, hellbound, immoral, etc., in some sermons, but of course people who believe such things won't stop expressing their views during religious speeches. On the flip side, many religious minorities have historically and recently been persecuted because others have considered the minorities' beliefs offensive by default because of diverging from mainstream beliefs.

So, I think it's often best not to go out of one's way to engage in expression intended to insult someone else's views, but the topic seems to me more nuanced than a blanket rule could make room for.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
;)

The sooner he is gone the better IMHO!