• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

We Never Know

No Slack
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?

I don't know if this is valid or not but this came up in a search. It seems to be tied to a catholic blog.

Even included a snapshot of the supposed post. Which yes probably could easily be photo shopped. I never have used instagram so I have no idea about their platform.

"Barbara Butch, the crowned woman at the center of the scene, posted an Instagram story comparing the two images, with the caption: “OH YES! OH YES! THE NEW GAY TESTAMENT!”

IMG_20240729_162638.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't know they of this is valid or not but this came up in a search. It seems to be tied to a catholic blog.

Even included a snapshot of the supposed post. Which yes probably could easily be photo shopped. I never have used instagram so I have no idea about their platform.

"Barbara Butch, the crowned woman at the center of the scene, posted an Instagram story comparing the two images, with the caption: “OH YES! OH YES! THE NEW GAY TESTAMENT!”

View attachment 94894

I just cannot recall there being a blue guy at the Last Supper.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Ignoring the issues regarding the homeless is the mockery. And you are defending it. Let them eat cake! That is the liberal spit in the face of the worker.

This looks like moonwalk now, because you also mentioned the mockery of the last supper as an issue.

As for me, I both defend mockery of nearly anything religious and taking care of the homeless.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I really want to understand why the irrational hatred and mockery of religion and religious people is allowed.
Irrational? No one has given me more grief than Christians who are sure of themselves that I'm a sinner who needs god and takes it upon themselves to give me grief about what they erroneously believe is something I'm doing wrong or is not right about me. Atheists and Buddhists don't want to attack the rights of me and my community. It's not Wiccans who are trying to legislate their beliefs into law.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why? Is it because you are just another anti-religious bigot? How edgy.

Because it helps placing religion where it belongs. Whenever the term 'religion' is attached to some belief it gains undeserved special treatment.

Just look at your reaction: I said I agree with you there is a very real issue going on concerning the homeless, but rather than talk about that, you chose to treat my support for the mockery of religions as far more worthy of your attention.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Also, from the videos it looks like the space that resembles a table (but really isn't one) was used for a parade of sorts, which would reinforce the appearance of a pagan festival as contrasted to a supper. There are indeed few itens of food or plates present; I am not sure there are any except around the Dionisyus.

We Never Know

No Slack
Which aspects?
Well if this is true, then its unquestionable they were mocking the last supper IMO.

"Barbara Butch, the crowned woman at the center of the scene, posted an Instagram story comparing the two images, with the caption: “OH YES! OH YES! THE NEW GAY TESTAMENT

IMG_20240729_162638.jpg

IMG_20240730_101502.jpg

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well if this is true, then its unquestionable they were mocking the last supper IMO.

"Barbara Butch, the crowned woman at the center of the scene, posted an Instagram story comparing the two images, with the caption: “OH YES! OH YES! THE NEW GAY TESTAMENT

View attachment 94915

View attachment 94916

"As CBS News correspondent Elaine Cobbe reports, the specific part of the ceremony that caused the offense was, in fact, a scene depicting Dionysus, the Greek god of wine. It was reportedly based on The Feast of the Gods, a 17th century painting by Dutch artist Jan Harmensz van Biljert that hangs in the Magnin Museum, in Dijon, eastern France. The painting depicts an assembly of Greek gods on Mount Olympus for a banquet to celebrate the marriage of Thetis and Peleus. The figure seated at the table in the center has a halo of light behind his head.

Thomas Jolly, the opening ceremony director, insisted in an interview with France's BFMTV that "The Last Supper" was not the inspiration behind the scene, explaining that "Dionysus arrives at the table because he is the Greek God of celebration," adding that the particular sequence was entitled "festivity."

"The idea was to create a big pagan party in link with the God of Mount Olympus — and you will never find in me, or in my work, any desire of mocking anyone," Jolly said.

The "interpretation of the Greek God Dionysus makes us aware of the absurdity of violence between human beings," a post on the official social media account of the Olympic Games said by way of explanation."

Apparently some of the performers, including Barbara Butch in the show have been receiving online death threats.

We Never Know

No Slack
"As CBS News correspondent Elaine Cobbe reports, the specific part of the ceremony that caused the offense was, in fact, a scene depicting Dionysus, the Greek god of wine. It was reportedly based on The Feast of the Gods, a 17th century painting by Dutch artist Jan Harmensz van Biljert that hangs in the Magnin Museum, in Dijon, eastern France. The painting depicts an assembly of Greek gods on Mount Olympus for a banquet to celebrate the marriage of Thetis and Peleus. The figure seated at the table in the center has a halo of light behind his head.

Thomas Jolly, the opening ceremony director, insisted in an interview with France's BFMTV that "The Last Supper" was not the inspiration behind the scene, explaining that "Dionysus arrives at the table because he is the Greek God of celebration," adding that the particular sequence was entitled "festivity."

"The idea was to create a big pagan party in link with the God of Mount Olympus — and you will never find in me, or in my work, any desire of mocking anyone," Jolly said.

The "interpretation of the Greek God Dionysus makes us aware of the absurdity of violence between human beings," a post on the official social media account of the Olympic Games said by way of explanation."

Apparently some of the performers, including Barbara Butch in the show have been receiving online death threats.
Yeah I've read all that. Its sad that she/others are getting threatened.

However if Barbara posted that(even though they changed it later) its obvious she was comparing it to the last supper.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yeah I've read all that. Its sad that she/others are getting threatened.
Yes it is. Sad.
However if Barbara posted that(even though they changed it later) its obvious she was comparing it to the last supper.
Maybe (s)he was. The organizers say it was the Feast of the Gods.

I don't recall a blue guy at the Last Supper. Though someone online tried to tell me he was "the freak." Don't recall "the freak" being at the Last Supper either.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Yes it is. Sad.

Maybe (s)he was. The organizers say it was the Feast of the Gods.

I don't recall a blue guy at the Last Supper. Though someone online tried to tell me he was "the freak." Don't recall "the freak" being at the Last Supper either.
The painting in question was definitely based on the Last Supper regardless. I won't repost the link because I already have once or twice.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So a display based on a Renaissance paining of a greek mythology subject that was inspired by the Last Supper means half the Christian world has to get it's knickers in a knot.
Hey, my knickers nor anyone else's I know are not in a knot. I don't know any MAGA'S though I do know some people who are going to hold their noses and vote for Trump. Not me though.