• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Me Generation

Reyn

The Hungry Abyss
The point is. You ask people to change because they don't "fit your view" of what is "normal"
I don't ask trans people to stop being trans, nor do I ask eccentric people to stop being eccentric. I might question things but it's their life, so they live it. However, I'm not seeing a live and let live mentality in the world around me. I'm seeing a totalitarian mindset. Abnormal people are expecting the world to change for them. I am seeing laws being made and enforced, forcing validation. I don't care if Jimmy wears a dress around town. I care that Jimmy forces people to acknowledge him as a woman by law. The same goes for the autistic people. I don't care, unless they start making me care and if I start being made to care, I'm going to defend my own interests. Fun fact? Those interests don't include people who can't handle life and how it's not like school.

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
It's a good thing there are laws that protect disabled folks and provide accommodations for them in school or work then.
Imagine if i got sent to the principals office cuz I had a meltdown in the middle of class due to sensory overload. Oh right I did because unfortunately despite there being laws in place I did not have accomadations because my guardians did not wish for me to disclose to my school to get the accomadations I needed to be on equal footing.

Reyn

The Hungry Abyss
Well, I am 36, and I know what you mean: in our generation there was a lot of absent analysis perhaps, on the mainstream level. And we millennials probably represent one of the last generation where that was the case, I guess. As for me, I was merely shunted in spec ed. departments for about 8 years. The elementary school psychologist thought I had autism. I was developing in a way that was socially abnormal. I didn't make a lot of friends in the k-12 years, except abusive ones, and often wandered the playground alone, for example

I was not ever officially diagnosed with that, but in middle school, I think it was adhd that they wanted to label me with. But by the end of high school, they really wanted to phase me out of all this. Largely, I felt like I was simply 'observed' during those years, more than I was the subject of any kind of more active management

I have made a few extensive posts on my experience here, but don't really dwell on it. I have read a few books on it though, because the brain is obviously complicated, and puzzle-like, and one probably to read a few books about it in any case

So you might be able to see from this, why I might want to think about, or read about neurology or psychology stuff at least a little bit.

I hated special-ed so much. I got the ADHD diagnosis because you know, smart kid who has normal kid energy... I fought with everything to get out of special ed. I just wanted to be seen as normal, if you get what I mean. I won that fight, by the way. I won it and went into advanced classes, and stopped letting society define me. I defined myself and now, I do life my own way. Do I have weaknesses? Yes. I work around them. Do I have issues to work through? Yes, I work through them.

Reyn

The Hungry Abyss
Imagine if i got sent to the principals office cuz I had a meltdown in the middle of class due to sensory overload. Oh right I did because unfortunately despite there being laws in place I did not have accomadations because my guardians did not wish for me to disclose to my school to get the accomadations I needed to be on equal footing.

If you had a melt down, you had a melt down. Learn to stop having them, like anyone else. Autism isn't an excuse for total lack of emotional control. If it is, then special placement and deal with the world treating you differently because you are different. Else, do what I did and figure out how to thrive in a world designed for normies.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't ask trans people to stop being trans, nor do I ask eccentric people to stop being eccentric. I might question things but it's their life, so they live it. However, I'm not seeing a live and let live mentality in the world around me. I'm seeing a totalitarian mindset. Abnormal people are expecting the world to change for them. I am seeing laws being made and enforced, forcing validation. I don't care if Jimmy wears a dress around town. I care that Jimmy forces people to acknowledge him as a woman by law. The same goes for the autistic people. I don't care, unless they start making me care and if I start being made to care, I'm going to defend my own interests. Fun fact? Those interests don't include people who can't handle life and how it's not like school.
If you had for one moment tried to belong to a minority who where bullied, harrased, jailed, followed as many minorities around the world are, you would also be seeking validation for just being alive.

I can walk and run, but i am born with Spina bifida and Hydrocephalus, those are two ways to be disabeled that many many people are born with every year, non of then asked for it, most of them are paralized from their hips down. So yes if their parents can make their life more easy to live, they will ask for certain laws to be made.

Instead of fighting differences, maybe ask, what can be done to make other peoples lives better for them?

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
If you had a melt down, you had a melt down. Learn to stop having them, like anyone else. Autism isn't an excuse for total lack of emotional control. If it is, then special placement and deal with the world treating you differently because you are different. Else, do what I did and figure out how to thrive in a world designed for normies.
*laughs* you really are something. Reminds me so strongly of so many people. Imma go before I say something I regret

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I hated special-ed so much. I got the ADHD diagnosis because you know, smart kid who has normal kid energy... I fought with everything to get out of special ed. I just wanted to be seen as normal, if you get what I mean. I won that fight, by the way. I won it and went into advanced classes, and stopped letting society define me. I defined myself and now, I do life my own way. Do I have weaknesses? Yes. I work around them. Do I have issues to work through? Yes, I work through them.
Then you are lucky, not everyone are that lucky, and they do need help and support

Yerda

Veteran Member
If you had a melt down, you had a melt down. Learn to stop having them, like anyone else. Autism isn't an excuse for total lack of emotional control.
You know that emotional control is regulated by lots of things occuring at the level of neurobiology? Telling autistic people to just be better at emotional control is likely to be as useful as telling a clinically depressed person to just cheer up or someone with a hyperactive disorder to just chill.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add a perspective...

... I work at a university. The whole pronoun thing has really started taking off in the university culture over the past couple of years.

It's awkward.

But why does it feel awkward to me? Is it simply because it is new and unfamiliar? Because it's not how things were done before? Is it because you're uncomfortable with the outing of aspects of human diversity you might have not acknowledged the existence of before? Is it because you have some of your own unresolved identity issues that things brings to the surface? Something else entirely?

That's a good way to approach this - monitor your reaction then ask yourself where that reaction is coming from. You might learn something about yourself and others in the process.

amorphous_constellation

Well for me, there were a lot of dead-ends. I didn't play to my strengths a lot of times, where I should have. I flunked out of college twice, because I did not pick the right subjects, where there were other subjects that I think I could have instead mastered. Today I drive the forklift, I did manage to learn how to do that

Part of what I think might be going one with autism, might be brain asymmetry - don't quote me on that, that's just a conclusion I seem to have reached. But it kind of seems like I can be really good, abnormally good, at one thing, and then pretty bad at another. In a way that seems asymmetrical. But anyway, whatever, I am starting to ramble here

I know that our generation had more of a 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps' kind of mindset, in the sense that the sorts of things I'm talking about here, weren't talked about really: you were supposed to march through them. But really, I think we could have used more general awareness about these things back then.

Because I think that actually, 'understanding' can and does lead to more productive lives, better selection of goals perhaps, and more general productivity

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Excuse me for being rude, but do you even know what Autism is? Listen to those who were born with it, they are amazing people

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To add a perspective...

... I work at a university. The whole pronoun thing has really started taking off in the university culture over the past couple of years.

It's awkward.

But why does it feel awkward to me? Is it simply because it is new and unfamiliar? Because it's not how things were done before? Is it because you're uncomfortable with the outing of aspects of human diversity you might have not acknowledged the existence of before? Is it because you have some of your own unresolved identity issues that things brings to the surface? Something else entirely?

That's a good way to approach this - monitor your reaction then ask yourself where that reaction is coming from. You might learn something about yourself and others in the process.
Unrelated to the post but holy moly a wild Quint has been spotted!
It's really good to see you. :) Hope you're doing well. <3

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing irritates me more than people who are so self absorbed and oblivious to the outside world, they expect others to use special words to other people about them. I'm talking about pronoun fixation, by the way. The second thing which irritates me is how people have their various disorders listed, as if to showcase them. First, I don't know why they think people care if they are autistic, ADHD, or whatever else, including their status as indigenous or black.

Someone please explain all this to me? Am I missing something here because when I was growing up, this wasn't a thing. What was a thing was people introducing themselves as a gay man or a lesbian. I found that irritating as well, since I didn't see reason to know the sexual preferences of strangers and co-workers.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the "me generation," which has a connotation of a selfish, spoiled, narcissistic group which is always about "me first," "me, me, me." I guess I've gotten used to it and even somewhat numb to attitudes like that. I don't know if that's comparable to any kind of pronoun fixation, although my view is that, out of common courtesy, I'll call someone or refer to them in the way they wish to be referred to. It doesn't take away from anyone else, which is a key component implied in the phrase "me generation."

It is true that there is a certain narcissistic, self-centered bent within the overall culture, though I see it as across the board, not just isolated to one particular group. It's the idea that "I'm special, I'm worth it, I deserve to be at the front of the line because...well, it's me, and I'm the most important person in the universe." I can agree that people like that can come off as rather irritating. I don't really hang out with those types very much.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, I know some autistic people I wouldn't call amazing...
Just like with people in general, I can't be friends with everyone.
And they may feel the same way about me.
The people i know are good people, and by the way i don't care about what disability, sexual preference or any other traits people have, they can be my friends no matter who they are. :)

Reyn

The Hungry Abyss
If you had for one moment tried to belong to a minority who where bullied, harrased, jailed, followed as many minorities around the world are, you would also be seeking validation for just being alive.

I can walk and run, but i am born with Spina bifida and Hydrocephalus, those are two ways to be disabeled that many many people are born with every year, non of then asked for it, most of them are paralized from their hips down. So yes if their parents can make their life more easy to live, they will ask for certain laws to be made.

Instead of fighting differences, maybe ask, what can be done to make other peoples lives better for them?
I was trans, I was branded adhd as a kid, I was treated like garbage by teachers, by parents, excluded, ect. I learned it was a me problem, so I fixed it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was trans, I was branded adhd as a kid, I was treated like garbage by teachers, by parents, excluded, ect. I learned it was a me problem, so I fixed it.
So instead of telling others to get their **** together. Become a motivator for other to be stronger, show them the way to a better life.