• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nativity Tales...... reversing into the truth?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm glad Jesus wasn't born in Pennsylvania. We'd never hear the end of it!
Jesus, the all-American wholesome prophet from just down the road. Our local Deity! :)
Uh...that seems like how he's always presented, anyway here in the states...Our Lord for Truth, Justice and the American Way of Capitalism...:p

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Uh...that seems like how he's always presented, anyway here in the states...Our Lord for Truth, Justice and the American Way of Capitalism...:p
I remember talking with a right-wing character at another website several years ago who believed and said that Jesus was a prime example of capitalism at its best. Ya, right! :rolleyes:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Ha ha! :)
It's also the differing creeds, churches and denominations. On a business journey and staying at a distant hotel, I went into a church that evening, can't remember which, and when a pushy lady approached and interrogated me I told of my particular religion.
'Ha!', she exclaimed,'that lot can't tell us here anything about our Jesus!', and the nearby congregation all hallelujahed and congratulated each other!
Love it!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I remember talking with a right-wing character at another website several years ago who believed and said that Jesus was a prime example of capitalism at its best. Ya, right! :rolleyes:
Some folks manage to adjust the whole world to fit into their own personal mindset.
For instance, we mostly all seem to think that we are really nice people, despite some folks who think we're rather less super. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some folks manage to adjust the whole world to fit into their own personal mindset.
For instance, we mostly all seem to think that we are really nice people, despite some folks who think we're rather less super. :)
Well, I long have felt you're a "super" person even though you're an "old badger", but I apparently must be wrong.:(

Go Blue! :p

pearl

I'm not interested in critical method. I just do my best to investigate as best I can, no Christian Agenda because I'm not a Christian, no Atheist Agenda because I'm not an atheist.

No. Josephus, Celcius and a few others wrote about Jesus during the 1st and 2nd centuries.If you would rather dismioss 2nd century accounts then you would need to dismiss G-John as well. :)

Josephus tells us little concerning the life of Jesus. Only a few of his statements are given any authenticity. Pliny wrote about the followers of Christ but no details of the man Jesus. The historical critical method is not specifically Christian or biblical, it is only recently applied to those works. The Gospel of John is different than the synoptic gospels in its descending Christology and higher theology.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Josephus tells us little concerning the life of Jesus. Only a few of his statements are given any authenticity.
Well, he obviously didn't think that Jesus was worth much more mention, and his entry was much edited and rewritten by Christians. However, his entry does show that he most probably knew about Jesus and that he must have known people who knew Jesus in their own lifetimes. Celcius wrote about Christians, Jesus and the disciples in the 2nd century also, a valuable mention, I think.
Pliny wrote about the followers of Christ but no details of the man Jesus. The historical critical method is not specifically Christian or biblical, it is only recently applied to those works.
If the HCM is more successfully accurate then great, if not..... ?
The Gospel of John is different than the synoptic gospels in its descending Christology and higher theology.
Ah, well.... the author never knew Jesus, his timeline was far adrift, his sequence of events incorrect and his miracles were mostly fables, but apart from that the Gospel of John is OK. I'll say this, G-John gives us a formal name for Judas which I found to be most valuable.