• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Paedophile Hunter

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Many of these predators are repeat offenders that never get caught. Only a few rapes are actually reported and even fewer cases of other sexual abuse. Then children and minors even less so. The vast majority of these abuses are not caught. This is an effective way of finding the predators that are active. Its like setting a bait care in an area that has been suffering serial car thrift.

I don't disagree with the initiative in itself. What I disagree with is the method employed. I think the method can, however, be improved.
For instance, he could create the profile of a child ( rather than a teenager ) in a social network using actual photos and age from a child. The target group would then be people who are looking for children specifically. There wouldn't even need to be a mention of her age at the start of the conversation since it would be apparent by her looks ( and profile ).

Wherenextcolumbus

I don't disagree with the initiative in itself. What I disagree with is the method employed. I think the method can, however, be improved.
For instance, he could create the profile of a child ( rather than a teenager ) in a social network using actual photos and age from a child. The target group would then be people who are looking for children specifically. There wouldn't even need to be a mention of her age at the start of the conversation since it would be apparent by her looks ( and profile ).

I'm not sure if this is a fact, but it may be illegal for him to use pictures of a person who is under the age of 18, especially without consent, so he consensually uses photos of over 18's who look as young as possible. The fact is though, these men are still a threat to children/young people. Girls and boys who appear a bit older still need to be protected.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
It seems that you may have an issue with the age of consent rather than the way that these individuals are caught. Surely you would have a huge problem with them doing something with 8 year olds yes? In the eyes of the law a 14 year old is just as illegal as an 8 year old. If there is an argument to be had that it shouldn't be this way then I could understand your argument. But from the position that it is 17 or less are all illegal I don't fully understand your problem with it.

Certainly I would have a big problem with someone doing that with a 8 years old.
I just dislike how this method facilitates the turning of an inclination into a crime.

Wherenextcolumbus

Certainly I would have a big problem with someone doing that with a 8 years old.
I just dislike how this method facilitates the turning of an inclination into a crime.
IT IS A CRIME! Under UK law they have literally committed a crime and they only have themselves to blame!

Midnight Rain

Someone wouldn't simply be turned into a rapist by these inclinations. It would already be there. If someone is not socially responsible to avoid minors then it is their fault. Also from the article he didn't seek out individuals. He was bait fishing not spear fishing.

Wherenextcolumbus

Someone wouldn't simply be turned into a rapist by these inclinations. It would already be there. If someone is not socially responsible to avoid minors then it is their fault. Also from the article he didn't seek out individuals. He was bait fishing not spear fishing.
That is correct. He never makes first contact, they contact him first, he then informs them that he is under 16 years of age in his first message and it's up to them how they lead the conversation from there.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In the UK if you send 2 or more messages to someone under the age of 16 that are sexual it is classified as grooming. They were breaking the law, therefore they are a threat to children/young people under the age of 16. It doesn't matter that they are a young teen, it's illegal in the UK. Legally they are a threat. The fact that a lot of them were willing to meet up with someone they believed to be under the age of 16, shows intent for assault.

Once again it doesn't matter if SOME of them were not actively seeking out children. When presented with the opportunity to interact with what they believed to be a person under the age of 16, they attempted to groom and most of the time meet up with them. That means they are a threat to people who are under the age of 16 and are online using social media.

I am not talking about whether they did something illegal. I think that should be apparent by the content of my posts so far. I am not using the law as a framework on this topic.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm not sure if this is a fact, but it may be illegal for him to use pictures of a person who is under the age of 18, especially without consent, so he consensually uses photos of over 18's who look as young as possible. The fact is though, these men are still a threat to children/young people. Girls and boys who appear a bit older still need to be protected.

He could just ask someone ( and her parents ) to use the pictures.

Wherenextcolumbus

I am not talking about whether they did something illegal. I think that should be apparent by the content of my posts so far. I am not using the law as a framework on this topic.
What are you using then? Because all your responses so far seem to be justifying grooming, that in some cases it OK to groom because the person looks older and is willing to meet up and therefore you wouldn't personally worry about them.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I am not discussing personal responsibility.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What are you using then? Because all your responses so far seem to be justifying grooming, that in some cases it OK to groom because the person looks older and is willing to meet up and therefore you wouldn't personally worry about them.

I think the age of consent should be, as I have already said before, somewhat after the puberty. So a person who looks MUCH older would have hit the puberty quite a long time ago. On practice, I think such a person should already be able to give consent, which is why I would NOT be particularly worried about them.

EDIT: Had to fix the last sentence.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This really is such a typical victim blaming excuse. "It's not my fault officer. A 12 year old girl/boy responded to my message, what was I suppose to do?" Ridiculous

Your comment shows you are emotional on the issue and did not really listen to what I said. There would be no need for an excuse if nothing ever happened.

Wherenextcolumbus

He could just ask someone ( and her parents ) to use the pictures.
Let's put it this way. I am going to be 26 years old soon, I get mistaken for being aged between 16-21. I have seen 14 year old girls who look about the same age range as me. So that is enough to show personal perception about looking a certain age, is besides the point.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Let's put it this way. I am going to be 26 years old soon, I get mistaken for being aged between 16-21. I have seen 14 year old girls who look about the same age range as me. So that is enough to show personal perception about looking a certain age, is besides the point.

It is not besides the point. The appearance he uses will lure different kinds of folks.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
And saying he is under 16 years of age, should stop the ones that are not a threat.

I don't think so. There are divergences among countries on what is the age of consent.
So, a man who has sex with a 14 years old girl is a threat on UK, but not on Brazil and Spain? What is up with that?