• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Paedophile Hunter

Wherenextcolumbus

I don't think so. There are divergences among countries on what is the age of consent.
So, a man who has sex with a 14 years old girl is a threat on UK, but not on Brazil and Spain? What is up with that?
Are we talking about those countries? We are talking about men from the UK they are aware that soliciting sex with a minor is illegal. So when they know they are speaking to someone under the age of 16 it is their responsibility to stop. Simple as

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Certainly I would have a big problem with someone doing that with a 8 years old.
I just dislike how this method facilitates the turning of an inclination into a crime.

If this were 20 years ago I might work up some sympathy for the entrapment. The risks associated with online chat weren't so well understood.

But it isn't. It's 2015. An adult who doesn't understand the risks of chatting up a stranger on the internet is incompetent to say the least. An adult who will chat about sex with a stranger who says that they are jailbait cannot be trusted with a computer.
It is a new and different moral challenge, but it is a really easy one.

Tom

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Are we talking about those countries? We are talking about men from the UK they are aware that soliciting sex with a minor is illegal. So when they know they are speaking to someone under the age of 16 it is their responsibility to stop. Simple as

How many times do I have to tell you it I agree it is their responsibility? If you tell me ahead of time I am gonna prepare the posts in advance.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If this were 20 years ago I might work up some sympathy for the entrapment. The risks associated with online chat weren't so well understood.

But it isn't. It's 2015. An adult who doesn't understand the risks of chatting up a stranger on the internet is incompetent to say the least. An adult who will chat about sex with a stranger who says that they are jailbait cannot be trusted with a computer.
It is a new and different moral challenge, but it is a really easy one.

Tom

They were certainly running into certain risks and well aware of that. There is no doubt about that.

Wherenextcolumbus

How many times do I have to tell you it I agree it is their responsibility? If you tell me ahead of time I am gonna prepare the posts in advance.
Then stop justifying their actions by talking nonsense about using pictures of underage girls and boys, as if that is in any way meaningful, when it is their responsibility to stop.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't think so. There are divergences among countries on what is the age of consent.
So, a man who has sex with a 14 years old girl is a threat on UK, but not on Brazil and Spain? What is up with that?

Brazil and Spain don't protect their children as well as they might.

Tom

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Then stop justifying their actions by talking nonsense about using pictures of underage girls and boys, as if that is in any way meaningful, when it is their responsibility to stop.

This matter has certain nuances that need to be taken into consideration to properly understand the situation. Whether you want to see and acknowledge them is another matter entirely. You seem unable to comprehend that one doesn't need to discard the personal responsibility of those men to see the nuances. So you present to me a dichotomy that I can't fit in. You will have to deal with that.

Wherenextcolumbus

This matter has certain nuances that need to be taken into consideration to properly understand the situation. Whether you want to see and acknowledge them is another matter entirely. You seem unable to comprehend that one doesn't need to discard the personal responsibility of those men to see the nuances. So you present to me a dichotomy that I can't fit in. You will have to deal with that.

Yes and when those nuances are used to justify the actions of those men it is not meaningful for me to consider them. You said you wouldn't worry about a girl like that because she looks older and didn't resist, therefore you are justifying the actions of those men.

Midnight Rain

So what is it exactly that you disagree with?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Your comment shows you are emotional on the issue and did not really listen to what I said. There would be no need for an excuse if nothing ever happened.

I didn't get that from her comment.

I've seen much more emotional comments to the contrary of her argument, but that doesn't make their arguments less valid.

Let's not use "emotional" criticisms as reasons to dismiss stances, shall we?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes and when those nuances are used to justify the actions of those men it is not meaningful for me to consider them. You said you wouldn't worry about a girl like that because she looks older and didn't resist, therefore you are justifying the actions of those men.

To you the discussion is all about responsibility for a crime. Even if I justify those actions ( although I wouldn't use that term, but so be it ), that doesn't mean I exempt them from the responsibility of their actions. Do you comprehend what I am saying?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
statutory rape/sexual assault in these instances.

Considering statutory rape happens when having sex below the age of consent, certainly they ( the girls ) are at the threat ( as you have defined this term ) of being the victims of such a crime.

Wherenextcolumbus

To you the discussion is all about responsibility for a crime. Even if I justify those actions ( although I wouldn't use that term, but so be it ), that doesn't mean I exempt them from the responsibility of their actions. Do you comprehend what I am saying?

Do you know what you are saying? You may not use the word 'justifying' but that is exactly what you are doing by making out that it's not a big deal when the girl looks older and doesn't resist and so girls like that shouldn't be protected by law?

Midnight Rain

I am sorry but I won't go all over it again. I have already said so in my previous posts.
yes it seemed to bet he methods and at some point it was an issue of their age being teenagers rather than children. So is it the method purely or is their age a factor to you?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I didn't get that from her comment.

I've seen much more emotional comments to the contrary of her argument, but that doesn't make their arguments less valid.

Let's not use "emotional" criticisms as reasons to dismiss stances, shall we?
Did you actually read my original point she commented on? Her comment did not address my point. Her comment addressed a different point she wanted to address.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Do you know what you are saying? You may not use the word 'justifying' but that is exactly what you are doing by making out that it's not a big deal when the girl looks older and doesn't resist and so girls like that shouldn't be protected by law?

Protected from what? From having sex with someone they want to? Because they suddenly know better when they reach 16?