• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pagan, Buddhist, and Hindu Thread

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium

A clarification. As a HIndu, don't you believe Buddhism is part of Hinduism and belongs to the Nasthika group along with Jainism?
Buddhism (along with Jainism) are nastika systems and considered by Hinduism to be heterodox schools of Indian philosophy, whereas most schools of Hindu philosophy are astika and orthodox schools of philosophy.

firedragon

Veteran Member
My POV, although this was addressed to Salix: Although it's true that some Hindus believe that, I most certainly don't. To respect the wishes of adherents of other religions, I concur with the Buddhists and Jains that they are separate religions.
Okay. So your personal view is that. Accepted.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
"In Yoruba Polytheism Shango (also known as Changó or Xangô in Latin America; and also known as Jakuta) is the God/Orisha of thunder and the ancestor of the Yoruba people of Nigeria. He is the son of Yemaja the mother goddess and protector of birth. Shango (Xango) has three wives: Oya, who stole Shango's secrets of magic; Oschun, the river goddess who is Shango's favorite; and Oba. Shango is portrayed with a double axe on his head (the symbol of thunder), with six eyes and sometimes with three heads. His symbolic animal is the ram, and his favorite colors are red and white, which are regarded as being holy. In Brazil, Shango is worshipped as a thunder and weather god by the Umbandists. In Santeria, Shango (Chango) is the equivalent of the Catholic saint St. Barbara. Shango is venerated in Santería and Haitian Vodou as "Chango". Palo recognizes him as "Siete Rayos", while in Candomblé this Orixa is referred to as "Xango". His necklaces are composed in varying patterns of red and white beads; usually in groupings of 4 or 6 which are his "sacred numbers". Ceremonies for Shango devotees in the New World are focused on achieving power and self-control over their lives."

FB_IMG_1718764358333.jpg

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
In Nordic and Germanic Polytheism Thor (Old Norse Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, the protection of mankind, and also hallowing, healing and fertility. The cognate deity in wider Germanic traditions and paganism is known in Old English as Þunor and in Old High German as Donar (runic þonar ᚦᛟᚾᚨᚱ), stemming from a Common Germanic *Þunraz (meaning "thunder"). Thor is a prominently mentioned god throughout the recorded history of the Germanic peoples, from the Roman occupation of regions of Germania, to the tribal expansions of the Migration Period, to his high popularity during the Viking Age, when, in the face of the process of the Christianization of Scandinavia, emblems of his hammer, Mjölnir, were worn in defiance and Norse pagan personal names containing the name of the god bear witness to his popularity. Into the modern period, Thor continues to be worshiped in Asatru, Heathanism and other traditions. Thor is the husband of the golden-haired goddess Sif, is the lover of the jötunn Járnsaxa, and is generally described as fierce-eyed, red-haired and red-bearded. Thor has two servants, Þjálfi and Röskva, rides in a cart or chariot pulled by two goats, Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr and is ascribed three dwellings (Bilskirnir, Þrúðheimr, and Þrúðvangr). Thor wields the mountain-crushing hammer, Mjölnir, wears the belt Megingjörð and the iron gloves Járngreipr, and owns the staff Gríðarvölr. Thor's exploits, including his relentless slaughter of his foes and fierce battles with the monstrous serpent Jörmungandr—and their foretold mutual deaths during the events of Ragnarök—are recorded throughout sources for Norse Polytheism.

FB_IMG_1719432245324.jpg

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
"Dumuzid, later known by the alternative form Tammuz, is a Mesopotamian god associated with shepherds, who is also the primary consort of the goddess Inanna (also known as Ishtar). In Sumerian Polytheism, Dumuzid's sister is Geshtinanna, the goddess of agriculture, fertility, and dream interpretation. In the Sumerian poem Inanna Prefers the Farmer, Dumuzid competes against the farmer Enkimdu for Inanna's hand in marriage. In Inanna's Descent into the Underworld, Dumuzid fails to mourn Inanna's death and, when she returns from the Underworld, she allows the galla demons to drag him down to the Underworld as her replacement. Inanna later regrets this decision and decrees that Dumuzid will spend half the year in the Underworld, but the other half of the year with her, while his sister Geshtinanna stays in the Underworld in his place, thus resulting in the cycle of the seasons."

FB_IMG_1719460130041.jpg

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
Here is something to think about:

From the Bible:
"Love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:31).

For Buddhists, this aligns with Metta (loving-kindness), which encourages compassion and love towards all beings without discrimination.

Pagans often embrace the Wiccan Rede, "An it harm none, do what ye will," which promotes harmlessness towards others, reflecting a respect and love for those around them.

Hindus might refer to the concept of Ahimsa, found in texts like the Mahabharata, which teaches non-violence and love towards all living beings.

These tell us that people have a lot more in common than they do different. At the heart, many spiritual paths teach love and compassion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here is something to think about:

From the Bible:
"Love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:31).

For Buddhists, this aligns with Metta (loving-kindness), which encourages compassion and love towards all beings without discrimination.

Pagans often embrace the Wiccan Rede, "An it harm none, do what ye will," which promotes harmlessness towards others, reflecting a respect and love for those around them.

Hindus might refer to the concept of Ahimsa, found in texts like the Mahabharata, which teaches non-violence and love towards all living beings.

These tell us that people have a lot more in common than they do different. At the heart, many spiritual paths teach love and compassion.
That shows that basic morals do not come from the Bible. People that can reason can understand morals without any specific god.

ChieftheCef

Oh, I forgot all about the colors! I've always wanted to do that.

We're not fasting this year(I am going through some physically challenging situations and need to have full energy), but we're doing small pujas at night.
Yes!

Not fasting, but more extensive pujas, sadhana, and the wearing of each day's colors. :)
What, fellow friends, dare I ask is a puja? I had begone mummering the word during my escapades with my Shakti

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Anyone observing Navaratri?

I was thinking about observing it before it began, but I don’t feel inclined to observe this Navarātri. In addition to that, this particular Saturday is Kajeng-Kliwon on the Pawukon used in Indonesian Hinduism. People present offerings to Durgā and Śiva at the time, but I don’t feel like finding the five kinds of rice that are offered.

Lately, I have been more interested in jñāna (knowing) and Sāṃkhya philosophy than bhakti (devotion). I find that discerning consciousness from nature (which includes mind, intellect, and ego) quickly gives me what it always took a while for chanting and adoration to give me.