• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Paul" that anti-Christians invented

Muffled

Jesus in me
First, I would not call myself anti-Christian. Most Christians I've known are very good, decent, kind individuals.

What you need to understand is that when we point out how the teachings of Paul are quite different than the teachings of Jesus, that it is not our intent to be anti-Christian. We are simply exploring certain facts, and how they shape our understanding of Christianity.
I believe Paul may have had some different things to say but he is true to the message Jesus brought.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe Paul may have had some different things to say but he is true to the message Jesus brought.
Jesus: for eternal life keep the commandments, not even a brushstroke will fall away from the commandments until heaven and earth end, he who keeps even the smallest of the commandments will be the greatest in the kingdom of God.

Paul: Circumcision doesn't matter, it's up to the individual whether they eat meat sacrificed to idols or whether they want to observe the sabbath, our lawful obligations are canceled.

I don't know how you view that, but it certainly appears to me that Jesus is teaching x, and Paul is teaching not x. X and not x cannot be true simultaneously.

Betho_br

As everyone knows, the apostle Paul was Jewish, born in Tarsus, Capital of Cilicia, a Roman Province located in Asia Minor and had Roman citizenship. At that time, having Roman citizenship was very important and guaranteed those who held it special rights and privileges.

In "Acts of the Apostles", Paul claims to have been born in Tarsus (in the province of Mersin, in the southern part of central Turkey) and makes brief mentions of his family. A nephew is mentioned in Acts 23:16 and his mother is mentioned among those living in Rome in Romans 16:13.

Acts 22:25-28
And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned? When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman.
Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea. And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.

Acts 22:3
I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today.

About Paul the Greek, see the attached pdf: Paul of Tarsus: Greek and Roman, Jew and Christian

Acts 9:1-2
Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem.

In the time of (Saul/Paul), Damascus was an important city in the region of Syria, located in what is now modern-day Syria. It was one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and played a significant role in trade routes of the era.

1. Cultural and Economic Influence: Damascus was situated on a crucial trade route between Egypt and Mesopotamia, making it a center of commerce and cultural exchange. The city was known for its wealth and cultural diversity.

2. Roman Rule: During Jesus's time, Damascus was under Roman control. The province of Syria, where Damascus was located, was part of the Roman Empire and governed by a Roman procurator. The empire imposed an administration that managed the region and oversaw local affairs.

3. Religious and Social Significance: Damascus had a diverse population, including Jews, Greeks, and Romans. The presence of Jewish communities meant that Judaism was influential in the city, contributing to its religious and social fabric.

4. Significant Events: After the death and resurrection of Jesus, Damascus became notable in Christian narrative due to the conversion of Saul of Tarsus (who would become the Apostle Paul) on the road to Damascus, as described in the Book of Acts (Acts 9). This event was pivotal for the spread of Christianity.

Important verses for this context (Saul/Paul):

Acts 9:29
And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.

Socrates, who believed in the immortality of the soul and resurrection, was sentenced to death for his philosophical ideas and his critique of the Athenian political and religious systems. His belief in resurrection and life after death was at odds with the prevailing Greek traditions and philosophies of the time, which generally did not accept resurrection as a viable doctrine. Additionally, other groups that espoused similar beliefs, such as the Orphics and certain mystery cults, were often marginalized and did not enjoy widespread acceptance within the dominant Hellenistic society, highlighting the marginal status of resurrection beliefs.

Acts 26:8-9
Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? I (Saul/Paul) verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

2 Corinthians 5:16
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Romans 1:14
I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

1 Corinthians 1:22
For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Many "contemporary Christians" either forget or, out of ignorance or even malice, overlook that Jesus evangelized the Greeks. Inclusive, this is the principal guidance that should be taken into account for the Gentiles. For the teachings of Jesus and His theology transcend the words of Paul.

John 12:20-36
And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus. And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes. Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die. The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man? Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

Now we come to the main questions of this post:

Acts 9:1-2
And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem

1) With what authority (1 from the Jewish Sanhedrin, 2 from the teachings of Gamaliel, 3 from Saul’s Pharisaic background, 4 from Roman citizenship, 5 from Greek culture and wisdom, 6 from Roman laws, 7 from the laws of Damascus influenced by Saul’s political maneuvering, 8 or from some multicultural conflict in Saul’s mind, 9 did he personally decide to go to Damascus, a "foreign" land) to arrest followers who are opposed to Judaism?

2) Paul and his converts, now Christians, were seen as enemies by the Greeks due to the preaching of Jesus's resurrection, and also by the Jews, because Christians mistakenly placed the responsibility for Jesus's death on them (even though Jesus had planned it for Himself, not being abandoned). However, the Romans dominated all, and Paul was a Roman citizen! The Greek gods were in decline in the Roman Empire, and the Jews of Jerusalem did not accept another god co-equal to YHWH and the desecration of the Temple. Throughout history, they were often afflicted and tortured by many pagan governors, but they had the elohim imbued with divine mission and authority among them. Meanwhile, Christians grew among Gentiles and the dispersed and "lost" Jews, who were considered accursed by many for not knowing the law (John 7:49). The literacy rate at that time was between 5% and 15% of the population. Was the solution to elevate Jesus from an elohim not recognized by the Jews of Jerusalem to a god (theos/elohim) recognized by Rome? Were the Gospels created as a form of retaliation after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD? (rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar’s)?

Attachments

• Paul of Tarsus. Greek and Roman, Jew and Christian.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Betho_br

Jesus: for eternal life keep the commandments, not even a brushstroke will fall away from the commandments until heaven and earth end, he who keeps even the smallest of the commandments will be the greatest in the kingdom of God.

Paul: Circumcision doesn't matter, it's up to the individual whether they eat meat sacrificed to idols or whether they want to observe the sabbath, our lawful obligations are canceled.

I don't know how you view that, but it certainly appears to me that Jesus is teaching x, and Paul is teaching not x. X and not x cannot be true simultaneously.
I tried to respond, but there are more questions than answers...