• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Reminds me of the earlier days of the internet when there were a lot of cow pictures and fascination with cows. I remember Gateway, as well as early YouTube videos which were about dancing and singing cows.
Early Youtube wasn't usable to me on 10-13k dialup. I tried to watch a music video, let it load for hours and then gave up because it was barely done.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Early Youtube wasn't usable to me on 10-13k dialup. I tried to watch a music video, let it load for hours and then gave up because it was barely done.

That would be a 14k modem. We had them, the browser we used gave the modem status in the status bar. Usually showing between 8 and 12k but when it dropped to 2 bytes per second it was time to give up.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That would be a 14k modem. We had them, the browser we used gave the modem status in the status bar. Usually showing between 8 and 12k but when it dropped to 2 bytes per second it was time to give up.

My first modem ever on a computer with internet access, was 14K. However, knowing me, that computer didn't stay a computer with a modem that was "only" 14K for long. (I eventually went through a process of upgrading that PC, then later getting a new one a year or two later.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Such modernity. I started with KSR 110 baud using a teletype communications, upgraded to 300, 1200 and then 9600. What speed.

ChristineM

Premium Member
My first modem ever on a computer with internet access, was 14K. However, knowing me, that computer didn't stay a computer with a modem that was "only" 14K for long. (I eventually went through a process of upgrading that PC, then later getting a new one a year or two later.)

28k or 56k?

Or 250k (maybe 500k) dsl?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I remember it being something faster than 56K. A friend of mine had a 56K modem, and they would always whine because it took them like 4 hours just to download 50MB (which was about the size of a PC game demo at the time).

I think the fastest dial up modem was 56k. Though they could be doubled up with 2 phone lines to get 112k .

We were shipping graphics all around the world so fast was important. When we upgraded to 500k adsl it was wow...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
pedestrian-sign.jpg