• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The average ticket price for the Kentucky Derby this weekend is $1000. The best seats are as high as $16,000.

I wonder if @We Never Know or @icehorse is in this year's race.

giphy.gif
Nah, we icelandic horses prefer it much cooler..

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We don’t know. The phrase might have its roots in Norse mythology, medieval superstitions, the obsolete word catadupe (waterfall), or dead animals in the streets of Britain being picked up by storm waters.
In 1738, Jonathan Swift published his “Complete Collection of Genteel and Ingenious Conversation,” a satire on the conversations of the upper classes. One of his characters fears that it will “rain cats and dogs.” Whether Swift coined the phrase or was using a cliché, his satire was likely the beginning of the phrase’s popularity. Other British writers have employed less popular phrases, such as “it’s raining pitchforks” or “it’s raining stair-rods,” to describe the shaft-like appearance of heavy rains. But Swift’s phrase may have been memorable enough to stick in the mind of the public.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A Scottish tourist is thankful to be alive after a close encounter with a wild bear sent her to the emergency room.

Moira Gallacher, 72, had been vacationing in Romania with her friend Charmian Widdowson when the women decided to go for a drive through the Carpathian Mountains.

“What happened was the bear came up to the window at my friend’s side, and no problem. It let us take a picture and went away,” Gallacher said in a video shared by Scottish outlet STV News on X (formerly Twitter) Tuesday, April 23. “But I didn’t get a proper picture, so we went back and it was at my side.”

In the clip, the injured Gallacher was seen being rolled away in a stretcher.

“I’m not going to be on STV News,” she said with a laugh.

“We saw these bears – a mummy bear, and a baby – they were gorgeous,” Widdowson said.

“But they weren’t gorgeous. The mummy bear was hungry, and thought my friend was going to be lunch,” she added.

A mama bear with baby bear in Romania attack Scottish tourists.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

A mama bear with baby bear in Romania attack Scottish tourists.
What an idiot....but there are a lot of those.... some parks in North America have actually had to alert people to not take selfies with bears

No-Bear-Selfies.-Top-10-Questions-Answered-1-1024x550.png

And from NYS

b8afd37c-cbd4-4c74-a662-48bdfb90f991-tKb8SfRV.JPG

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That's how I do it.

Is there another way?
Well, I used to keep a list of tasks to do...as the dementia set in, I had multiple lists, no two identical, some with things not checked off that I had already done, or things checked off that I had not done...today, the only things I write on lists is items to pick up at the grocery store. My wife reviews and updates them as necessary...but when I go into the store, I know at least that those items listed are indeed things to be picked up...and crossed off AFTER they have been placed in the cart...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I used to keep a list of tasks to do...as the dementia set in, I had multiple lists, no two identical, some with things not checked off that I had already done, or things checked off that I had not done...today, the only things I write on lists is items to pick up at the grocery store. My wife reviews and updates them as necessary...but when I go into the store, I know at least that those items listed are indeed things to be picked up...and crossed off AFTER they have been placed in the cart...
***** Man sends me my grocery list.

Some kids have Santa, some have the Tooth Fairy. In this house, we have ***** Man, the mystical man with an attitude problem that sneaks in to reward and punish behaviors, and borrow things that have become problematic around the house.

I have his phone number in my phone(my number), and I send the list to him. He sends it back immediately.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's how I do it.

Is there another way?
My way is to keep a list. Get very busy and the list gets buried under a pile of papers and is forgotten. Later I start another list from memory which is as good as my memory isn't. Finally I find the first list and realize many of the things on it don't really need doing. Occasionally I wind up with several lists with a bonus - illegible handwriting - so I don't know what it was that I thought needing doing in the first place.