• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I beleive Jesus is in me. I guess I have to keep repeating this until it sinks in.

I believe this is a misinterpretation. He did not say He would return in the lifetime of His disciples.

Well I just translated it and it says -

Luke 9:27 Say I to you truly, there are people here present who won't experience death until they shall have seen the kingdom/reign of God.
That is quite specific.
How exactly do you figure it is a misinterpretation?

AmbiguousGuy

Sounds a lot like morality.

Not so. There is actually a Grammar God who holds all grammatical truth within His Great Noggin. It is mostly inaccessible to common folk but you guys are lucky because I happen to be a prophet of the Grammar God. This means that whatever I tell you about grammar is, by definition, correct.

Go ahead. Ask me something. Ask me anything.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

Luke 9:27 Say I to you truly, there are people here present who won't experience death until they shall have seen the kingdom/reign of God.
That is quite specific.
If you actually are interested in what that verse has been interpreted as for hundreds of years I will supply them. It does not mean what you indicate it does.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Sounds a lot like morality.
Is this some kind of trick? I have been saying exactly this is a hundred posts. If you agree that morality without God is based (the same as grammar in any case) on nothing beyond opinion we can leave it there. BTW I heard some interesting things that might apply to grammar or language at least. Quite a few people who have accidents or the like suddenly gain either accents or entire languages they have no memory of. What explains that? Interesting side note.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Not so. There is actually a Grammar God who holds all grammatical truth within His Great Noggin. It is mostly inaccessible to common folk but you guys are lucky because I happen to be a prophet of the Grammar God. This means that whatever I tell you about grammar is, by definition, correct.

Go ahead. Ask me something. Ask me anything.
If you represent any God it would likely be a God of triviality as you indicate here. Joking of course.

AmbiguousGuy

Quite a few people who have accidents or the like suddenly gain either accents or entire languages they have no memory of. What explains that? Interesting side note.

No, not really. The 'accents' happen because of some nerve damage which won't allow the tongue and mouth to behave as they did before the accident. It's only coincidental that the speech comes out sounding 'French' or whatever.

As for entire languages, the brain is a mysterious place. No one is going to start speaking a language which he's never used before, but a language once used in childhood and long-forgotten might pop back into place.

This is my understanding of things, anyway. What is even more curious to me is the sudden ability to do art after certain brain injuries. A guy will start playing the piano or painting... things he's never done before in his life.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No, not really. The 'accents' happen because of some nerve damage which won't allow the tongue and mouth to behave as they did before the accident. It's only coincidental that the speech comes out sounding 'French' or whatever.
I have no vested interest either way but I would find that to be unlikely. Do you have links with proof either way.

As for entire languages, the brain is a mysterious place. No one is going to start speaking a language which he's never used before, but a language once used in childhood and long-forgotten might pop back into place.
That is not he case in some of the examples of what I mentioned.

This is my understanding of things, anyway. What is even more curious to me is the sudden ability to do art after certain brain injuries. A guy will start playing the piano or painting... things he's never done before in his life.
I agree that it is certainly amazing, but why in the world is sudden musical knowledge believable and language not. I think all the trauma I have suffered took abilities away instead of granting them. I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
My heart is a fragile thing. Please handle it with care.
I don't think your argumentation would permit you to be too thinly skinned. I imagine it has produced much spirited feedback over the years. One thing very few unusually opinionated people are, is fragile.

AmbiguousGuy

I have no vested interest either way but I would find that to be unlikely. Do you have links with proof either way.

I'm an ex-language student. When a story comes in front of me about people 'suddenly acquiring foreign accents,' I study it with special care. No, I have no links for you, but I've been following reports of the phenomenon carefully for some time now.

However unlikely you find it to be, I'm pretty sure it is exactly as I describe. Have you ever studied phonetics and the physiology of speech? I have, and I can report to you that the explanation I've offered is not only the one offered by experts, but makes perfect sense to me. Nerve damage affects the mouth and tongue, causing speech which coincidentally sounds like a 'foreign accent.'

That is not he case in some of the examples of what I mentioned.

I believe you're mistaken. No one spontaneously begins to speak a language which they've never heard before. Old wives' tale. Or false reports. I'm pretty sure.

I agree that it is certainly amazing, but why in the world is sudden musical knowledge believable and language not.

Because (a specific unknown) language is data, but musical ability isn't. Musical knowledge doesn't become available to the trauma victim. The person doesn't suddenly sit down at a piano and play a particular Chopin sonata. Instead, he just gains the ability to learn the piece very quickly and fluently.

I think all the trauma I have suffered took abilities away instead of granting them. I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

If you're really desperate, you could try diving into the shallow end of the pool, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sudden talent only comes to the trauma victim once in a million headbutts.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I'm an ex-language student. When a story comes in front of me about people 'suddenly acquiring foreign accents,' I study it with special care. No, I have no links for you, but I've been following reports of the phenomenon carefully for some time now.
Actually I had thought you were another poster with a similar name. This is the one issue where I feel you have credibility with me anyway.

However unlikely you find it to be, I'm pretty sure it is exactly as I describe. Have you ever studied phonetics and the physiology of speech? I have, and I can report to you that the explanation I've offered is not only the one offered by experts, but makes perfect sense to me. Nerve damage affects the mouth and tongue, causing speech which coincidentally sounds like a 'foreign accent.'
I will give you the benefit of the doubt now that I know who is claiming what but I am skeptical that as many people as it takes to makes claims like this as well known as they are convinced would have to be better than slurred speech.

I believe you're mistaken. No one spontaneously begins to speak a language which they've never heard before. Old wives' tale. Or false reports. I'm pretty sure.
Boy is life boring when your around. You have lost your muchness. I can't or won't spend any time on the claim as I stated it but I will debate the fact that several thousand years of spiritual warfare has used unknown knowledge (as it exists in unknown language as an example) as a test for demonic influence and possession. I regard at least 95% any miraculous or demonic claims fakes but the Catholic Church (for reasons of liability if nothing else) is far more skeptical yet has countless authenticated cases on record including those where the victim spoke in other languages. I do not care about the other points but this last one I will defend if necessary. There are secular doctors on some of these cases that were less skeptical than the priests sent in to evaluate the events. I do not like Catholicism but spiritual authentication is one area they are good at.

Because (a specific unknown) language is data, but musical ability isn't. Musical knowledge doesn't become available to the trauma victim. The person doesn't suddenly sit down at a piano and play a particular Chopin sonata. Instead, he just gains the ability to learn the piece very quickly and fluently.
Now that you state it in a more concise way I understand what you were originally claiming.

If you're really desperate, you could try diving into the shallow end of the pool, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sudden talent only comes to the trauma victim once in a million headbutts.
I am currently on head-butt number 25,612. I won't live long enough to be talented. I guess I can only effectively debate you guys.

Crazyflight

Antitheist-Open to Ideas!
*doesn't know where the language debate came from*
*disregards*

I believe that the "right religion" is no religion at all, but of course, many people disagree with me, and I understand that. I think. Sometimes.
I believe that out of all of the world religions, those that are least considered a religion per se, like Buddhism, are the ones that I support the most. I wouldn't mind if the only religion in the world didn't believe in God. It's the belief in one single "God", or even many gods, that irks me.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Is this some kind of trick? I have been saying exactly this is a hundred posts. If you agree that morality without God is based (the same as grammar in any case) on nothing beyond opinion we can leave it there.
I never disagreed that morality is based on opinion. However, morality with God is the same thing; it's just God's opinion you're basing it on.If we have the ability to sin, we have the ability to disagree with God, don't we?

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:

That is quite specific.

If you actually are interested in what that verse has been interpreted as for hundreds of years I will supply them. It does not mean what you indicate it does.

I didn't indicate anything. I translated it.

And I know what it means because it says it again over in Mat. And look at Mark.

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels;and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:
Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
Mar 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

AmbiguousGuy

I didn't indicate anything. I translated it.

And I know what it means because it says it again over in Mat. And look at Mark.

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels;and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Jesus probably meant some kind of spiritual death, which none of those witnesses have yet suffered. Or maybe the Son of Man has already returned in his kingdom and those physically-dead but spiritually-alive guys saw him do it.

If we want to interpret the scriptures to fit our existing beliefs, it's an easy thing to do, no matter which translation into modern English we use.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Jesus probably meant some kind of spiritual death, which none of those witnesses have yet suffered. Or maybe the Son of Man has already returned in his kingdom and those physically-dead but spiritually-alive guys saw him do it.

If we want to interpret the scriptures to fit our existing beliefs, it's an easy thing to do, no matter which translation into modern English we use.

What's spiritual death? It implies some type of death will happen after the return. Kinda puts a crimp on the whole no one will die after Jesus comes back thing.

Muffled

Jesus in me

That is quite specific.

I believe you were saying the verse refers to the return of Christ but it does not. The kingdom can be thought of in two ways, spiritual and physical. In a sense both are the case during the lifetime of the disciples but the kingdom to come is more distinct as a unit.

Here Jesus says the Kingdom is come.

Lu 11:20 But if I by the finger of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.

Here Jesus makes a distinction between the Kingdom of His return and the Kingdom that is within.

Luke 1:6 ¶ They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority.
8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Here Jesus speaks of the spiritual Kingdom.

Lu 17:21 neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for lo, the kingdom of God is within you.