• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Muffled

Jesus in me
1) Which translation and edition of the Protestant canon do you believe to be scripture and why?

2) Wouldn't it make more sense to embrace the Greek Orthodox canon? I mean, doesn't it seem too convenient that 'scripture' just happens to be Muffled's favorite, modern-American collection of God's words?[/quote]

1) I believe all of them are except for the New World Translation because of bad editing which reduces scripture to the notions of men. I do not consider the Book of Mormon scripture.

2) I beleive from what I read in Wikipedia that there is no appreciable difference between Eastern Orthodox Canon and Roman Catholic Canon but I am no expert on this.

I am led by the Spirit of God not my own preferences.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Unless you're going to be less vague, repeating it won't do you any good. How is Jesus "in you"? And how is this "evidence of Christianity"?

Well, according to Luke he did just that, i.e.

Really! Do you have to know that there are huge explosions on the sun that make it shine in order to know the sun shines? However for your edification I will provide verses.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world beholdeth me no more; but ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 In that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Because I believe Christianity is having Jesus as Lord and Savior everything I say or do in the Spirit are evidences of Christianity.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are an elect race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, that ye may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Orcamute

Humanistic Agnostic.
Really! Do you have to know that there are huge explosions on the sun that make it shine in order to know the sun shines? However for your edification I will provide verses.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world beholdeth me no more; but ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 In that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Because I believe Christianity is having Jesus as Lord and Savior everything I say or do in the Spirit are evidences of Christianity.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are an elect race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, that ye may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The sun shines because it is a huge sphere of hot gas, has nothing to do with explosions..or are you referring to solar flares and coronal mass ejections? Because those aren't explosions either.

I don't think Christianity is anything but a format to evoke hope, order in ones life and an agenda on how to think and live. Christianity does not equate to kindness and love. If anything it is quite the opposite, segregation in human culture prompts nothing but hatred and labels. I.e, Atheism, Homosexuality, other religions, scientific methods (although many branches of Christianity have accepted evolution and big bang) etc..

You don't have any proof that Jesus is your lord, nor does one have proofs of Mohammed or Buddha. You can feel that, that is the right choice for you..but to say "how can you not believe in Jesus? I feel it in my heart" is not soluble evidence or even a debate worthy response.

There is no "right religion" or "true religion." The closest to a truth within life reflection would be as an agnostic. Now you can refute and come up with a rebuttal from the perspective of a christian but without venturing past your beliefs and pushing the comfort zone of your faith..you can not experience true selflessness of your own being or experience a hands off perspective of the universe.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The sun shines because it is a huge sphere of hot gas, has nothing to do with explosions..or are you referring to solar flares and coronal mass ejections? Because those aren't explosions either.
Many spheres of gas do not shine so that is out. It is not exactly an explosion either it is emission.

I don't think Christianity is anything but a format to evoke hope, order in ones life and an agenda on how to think and live. Christianity does not equate to kindness and love.
Then why are Christian conservatives the most charitable demographic on Earth. Why are there hundreds of Christian hospitals and missionaries who gave up soft lives and cushy jobs to help the bushmen in the Congo. Why are Church's the group that will take anyone in, even when the government has run out of other people's money to buy votes with by helping people become dependent on them? No other text nor person (Christ) is more consistently associated with love, goodness, and mercy. Countless aid organizations like the red cross use Biblical symbology to indicate their benevolent mission.

If anything it is quite the opposite, segregation in human culture prompts nothing but hatred and labels. I.e, Atheism, Homosexuality, other religions, scientific methods (although many branches of Christianity have accepted evolution and big bang) etc..
What you wish to see in something you must find a justification for rejecting is not the grounds for truth. Truth is exclusive therefor a true religion would be as well. Everything else you said is grossly inaccurate opinion.

You don't have any proof that Jesus is your lord, nor does one have proofs of Mohammed or Buddha. You can feel that, that is the right choice for you..but to say "how can you not believe in Jesus? I feel it in my heart" is not soluble evidence or even a debate worthy response.
I do not know about who you were addressing but I and billions of other Christians do have proof of our faith. It is subjective proof that is only given to those who have experienced God but proof none the less. However it is an objective truth that only Christianity among the major religions offers and even demands that every single believer experience God in an unmistakable way as an introduction to the faith. Islam , Judaism, nor Hinduism even offer that to every believer. At best it is only available to some Guru living in a tree or some Imam somewhere you can't cross examine.

There is no "right religion" or "true religion."
You go out of your way to falsely claim it is impossible to know that one religion is right but insist you know none are. That is hypocritical. It is far more consistent with the concept of a benevolent God that he would give one correct body of truth than he would bury bits and pieces of truth in a hundred piles of man made theology. Truth is exclusive. Pluralism is not. Guess which one is wrong.

The closest to a truth within life reflection would be as an agnostic.
So the truest group would be the group hat refuses to adopt any theological truth at all. Ambiguity is never the best reflection of exclusive truth.

Now you can refute and come up with a rebuttal from the perspective of a christian but without venturing past your beliefs and pushing the comfort zone of your faith..you can not experience true selflessness of your own being or experience a hands off perspective of the universe.
I was born as an atheist the same as you were. Christians as a group are the only ones who changed their minds. However the group that has not changed their minds and is still in the same group they were born into is accusing the group that has went a different direction of being close minded. Wow.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
I didn't indicate anything. I translated it.

And I know what it means because it says it again over in Mat. And look at Mark.

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels;and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Jesus probably meant some kind of spiritual death, which none of those witnesses have yet suffered. Or maybe the Son of Man has already returned in his kingdom and those physically-dead but spiritually-alive guys saw him do it.

If we want to interpret the scriptures to fit our existing beliefs, it's an easy thing to do, no matter which translation into modern English we use.

The word and form means physical death.

Plus we have these -

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:
Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
Mar 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

AmbiguousGuy

The word and form means physical death.

The writer was probably testing our faith. He knew that if we were truly guided by the Holy Spirit, we would understand that it was just a test and so ignore the physical angle in favor of the spiritual.

All things are possible when we go to interpreting words.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The writer was probably testing our faith. He knew that if we were truly guided by the Holy Spirit, we would understand that it was just a test and so ignore the physical angle in favor of the spiritual.

All things are possible when we go to interpreting words.

LOL! Yeah right!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I believe you were saying the verse refers to the return of Christ but it does not. The kingdom can be thought of in two ways, spiritual and physical. In a sense both are the case during the lifetime of the disciples but the kingdom to come is more distinct as a unit.

Here Jesus says the Kingdom is come.

Lu 11:20 But if I by the finger of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.

Here Jesus makes a distinction between the Kingdom of His return and the Kingdom that is within.

Luke 1:6 ¶ They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority.
8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Here Jesus speaks of the spiritual Kingdom.

Lu 17:21 neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for lo, the kingdom of God is within you.

And how do you explain away the others that I posted, that are specific, Jesus kingdom arrival, plus angels, rewards for the faithful, etc - and containing the same words- before those here shall know death?

smnewman2

Mixing my own words with those of A.C. BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI PRABHUPADA from the beginning of the BHAGAVAD GITA AS IT IS.....Man's faith is ever changing because as man develops on this spiritual journey surely his changing lifestyle and beliefs dictate his changing faith. Religion becomes a problem when man tries to put a label to a specific faith which can not work since man's faith is ever changing. Love, spirituality, and lack of ego is the key to any faith or religion, but then again those are my words. What ever you believe is the right way to get where your going. We all know the story of faith as a mountain. Every person is climbing a mountain of faith in which every person is taking a different path. No matter the difference in path everybody will eventually get to the top. There is no wrong way to get where we are going. The only person who is wrong is the person running around the bottom of the mountain yelling at everyone telling them their religion is wrong.

Saturn

I dont understand the 'god and religion is like a mountain' thing.

If you know that god is on top of the mountain and all religions lead to the same god, then you must have been with god on the top of the mountain (or else, how would you know this? maybe there are more gods? or maybe its the christian god and a lot are going to be judged). If people who are following religions are on the path to God till they die, it is not possible for your to be with God on top of the mountain.

Therefore, it is impossible for you to know that god is on top of the mountain and all religions lead to the same god.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What's spiritual death? It implies some type of death will happen after the return. Kinda puts a crimp on the whole no one will die after Jesus comes back thing.
There is no, no one will die after Christ comes back. The no one will die thing occurs after everything has run it's course and people are in Heaven or Hell. It's a little more complicated but I was refuting what you said not giving a desecration on end time eschatology. Spiritual or second death is separation from God.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I don't think Christianity is anything but a format to evoke hope, order in ones life and an agenda on how to think and live. Christianity does not equate to kindness and love. If anything it is quite the opposite, segregation in human culture prompts nothing but hatred and labels. I.e, Atheism, Homosexuality, other religions, scientific methods (although many branches of Christianity have accepted evolution and big bang) etc..

There is no "right religion" or "true religion." The closest to a truth within life reflection would be as an agnostic. Now you can refute and come up with a rebuttal from the perspective of a christian but without venturing past your beliefs and pushing the comfort zone of your faith..you can not experience true selflessness of your own being or experience a hands off perspective of the universe.

The Sun is the Solar System's star...Its large mass (332,900 Earth masses) produces temperatures and densities in its core high enough to sustain nuclear fusion,which releases enormous amounts of energy, [Reference Wikipedia -The Solar System]
(A huge release of energy is an explosion).

I believe I defined Christianity for you and somehow you believe your own opinion is better than evidence.

Kindness and love are fruit of the spirit. I believe if a person says he is a Christian and does not display this fruit such a person is a Chrsitian in name only.

I beleive this is a worldly view and not a Christian view.

I believe I can't prove it to others but I am sure that it is so.

I believe this is not a way to truth but simply a way of avoiding the truth.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I believe it is the Spirit of God. I believe things based on evidence. What I think has very little value.
You are thinking what you believe... If you weren't thinking it, how could you believe it? :rolleyes:

And the only evidence you have is in your head. Let me guess; God told you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
And how do you explain away the others that I posted, that are specific, Jesus kingdom arrival, plus angels, rewards for the faithful, etc - and containing the same words- before those here shall know death?

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels;and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

I believe that although the verses appear to be linked that they are not. IN a sense Jesus is coming into the physical kingdom when He is resurrected into a glorified body. The disciples did get to see that.

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:
Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
Mar 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

I believe this reamins to be seen by the generation that experiences the signs referred to in the previous verses.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

I believe that although the verses appear to be linked that they are not. IN a sense Jesus is coming into the physical kingdom when He is resurrected into a glorified body. The disciples did get to see that.

I believe this reamins to be seen by the generation that experiences the signs referred to in the previous verses.
...Or the writers of the Bible were wrong.