• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
It is possible for more than one to be right as many religions share common teachings in one way or another.
It is absolutely impossible for mutually exclusive claims to absolute truth to both be correct.

The Bible says Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
The Quran says he did not die at all and for no ones sin.

The Bible says Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and that NOONE proceeds to the father except through him.
Hinduism claims very strange and ambiguous levels of enlightenment are the path.
Islam says submission and ritual are the way.

These can't all be right.

It is far more consist with benevolence to supply one true revelation that to bury conflicting revelations within mountains of man made garbage. Pluralism is the least logical theology.

FranklinMichaelV.3

It is absolutely impossible for mutually exclusive claims to absolute truth to both be correct.

The Bible says Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
The Quran says he did not die at all and for no ones sin.

The Bible says Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and that NOONE proceeds to the father except through him.
Hinduism claims very strange and ambiguous levels of enlightenment are the path.
Islam says submission and ritual are the way.

These can't all be right.

It is far more consist with benevolence to supply one true revelation that to bury conflicting revelations within mountains of man made garbage. Pluralism is the least logical theology.

Judaism says that there is only one God and that Jesus wasn't the Messaih, Bahai's claim that he was a prophet.

The list goes on and on in the difference between all revelations. You say it's more consistent to give on revelation. Well which one is it?

There is a commonality between all religions, buried underneath all the man made garbage. It would stand that that revelation was given to all, it is man who decided to bury it deep within their own garbage. What with Free will and all.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Judaism says that there is only one God and that Jesus wasn't the Messaih, Bahai's claim that he was a prophet.
Exactly. They could al be wrong but not more than one be right in mutually exclusive claims.

The list goes on and on in the difference between all revelations. You say it's more consistent to give on revelation. Well which one is it?
I believe it to be the Bible. However it is not necessary for the Bible to be true to see all pluralism is false.

There is a commonality between all religions, buried underneath all the man made garbage. It would stand that that revelation was given to all, it is man who decided to bury it deep within their own garbage. What with Free will and all.
Since we are apparently asserting truth into existence. I assert the Bible is the one and only revelation but that as all religions deal with the same issue have similarities, that man was provided a God given conscience and so recognizes a common moral core for the most part, and it is also a very understandable for false prophets to look for credibility by associating with the most accepted theology of history (Christianity). That is the case in my opinion with Muhammad and Bahaullah. Since I asserted reality into existence last, then it is true, correct?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Exactly. They could al be wrong but not more than one be right in mutually exclusive claims.

I believe it to be the Bible. However it is not necessary for the Bible to be true to see all pluralism is false.

Since we are apparently asserting truth into existence. I assert the Bible is the one and only revelation but that as all religions deal with the same issue have similarities, that man was provided a God given conscience and so recognizes a common moral core for the most part, and it is also a very understandable for false prophets to look for credibility by associating with the most accepted theology of history (Christianity). That is the case in my opinion with Muhammad and Bahaullah. Since I asserted reality into existence last, then it is true, correct?

And Christianity associated itself with Judaism, through Jesus who the Jews believe was a false messiah and Judaism itself which was probably influeced by Babylonian and Egyptian religions and even other religious groups in the area.

By Occams razor the most simple answer would be that they are all wrong in trying to get people to God, but they try. The diversity of the various religions themselves does not indicate that God did not put truth in all of them, rather it just shows how people will take the truth that God gave and twist it. the basic component of every religion seems to be "treat others as you would like to be treated."

1robin

Christian/Baptist
And Christianity associated itself with Judaism
Hold the phone.

1. There was almost no reason to glam onto Judaism. It was a very local faith and was not popular with the occupying authority. That alone refutes your claim in the context I gave mine within, but let's continue.
2. Christianity does not identify with Judaism. It replaces it. Jesus said fault was found with the old covenant and the new covenant was given to replace it.
3. It was known to the men at the time that the Hebrews did not go along with the new faith specifically because it conflicted (or they thought it did) with Judaism. What possible gain was it to associate with Judaism unless it was?
4. The men who claimed it was consistent with Judaism (for example Paul) were more qualified to know than 99% of the Jews were. Paul studied with the greatest expert on Judaism of the time.
5. The men who claimed to know (and would have) gave up everything (including their lives at times) to defend something that if not true was of no value. Muhammad only gained by his claims in money, power, and glory. That is until the wife of one of his many victims poisoned him.

I could go on but that is enough.

through Jesus who the Jews believe was a false messiah and Judaism itself which was probably influenced by Babylonian and Egyptian religions and even other religious groups in the area.
Parallelism is one of the worst arguments against Christianity in a long list of bad ones. You can't just assert borrowing into reality. I actually gave the sources and at times have given many specific claims (that are not similar but virtually word for word) concerning the stories Islam borrowed from pre-Muhammad myth and heretical teaching. Until you give examples assertions won't do it.

By Occams razor the most simple answer would be that they are all wrong in trying to get people to God, but they try.
That is not in anyway derived from Occam's razor.

Occam's razor says to not claim causes beyond necessity. It also is not a statement of what is but only a general guide concerning how many causes to claim when in ignorance of how many there are. Since my statements are that a God (exists) then at least one way should have been provided and that is consistent with Occam's razor but more than one is not. Occam never suggested assuming no cause exists for an effect.

The diversity of the various religions themselves does not indicate that God did not put truth in all of them,
That is why my argument that he would not have has nothing to do with diversity but efficiency and consistency and most of all benevolence.

rather it just shows how people will take the truth that God gave and twist it. the basic component of every religion seems to be "treat others as you would like to be treated."
That most certainly has happened. I claim it does not explain the Bible nor is what you claimed in any way the basis of Biblical morality. It is maybe consistent with it at best but bears no to the Bible's core claims.

Agnostic75

1robin said:
The men who claimed to know (and would have) gave up everything (including their lives at times) to defend something that if not true was of no value.

I just started a new thread on that topic at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/152373-how-did-disciples-die.html#post3450574 at the Religious Debates Forum. I also just started another new thread at http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...what-accounted-early-growth-christianity.html at that forum that I think that you, and some other people would be interested in since it is about the factors that accounted for the growth of early Christianity.

Last edited:

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
I'd say examine the lives of the prophets of those religions, the teachings and see if they do make sense or not. You can't take the religion of an immoral person seriously right? So that way you can eliminate some of the religions and if only certain religions are left then get deeper and try to find the right one.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I just started a new thread on that topic at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/152373-how-did-disciples-die.html#post3450574 at the Religious Debates Forum. I also just started another new thread at http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...what-accounted-early-growth-christianity.html at that forum that I think that you, and some other people would be interested in since it is about the factors that accounted for the growth of early Christianity.
Let me make sure you understand my claim before new threads are discussed. I did not claim that all the apostles were killed for their faith. There is enough evidence to indicate that several did but some of their fates are a mystery. The point I was making is that they all paid for their message without any compensation that merited their lying. You must make a new thread per day.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Hold the phone.

1. There was almost no reason to glam onto Judaism. It was a very local faith and was not popular with the occupying authority. That alone refutes your claim in the context I gave mine within, but let's continue.
2. Christianity does not identify with Judaism. It replaces it. Jesus said fault was found with the old covenant and the new covenant was given to replace it.
3. It was known to the men at the time that the Hebrews did not go along with the new faith specifically because it conflicted (or they thought it did) with Judaism. What possible gain was it to associate with Judaism unless it was?
4. The men who claimed it was consistent with Judaism (for example Paul) were more qualified to know than 99% of the Jews were. Paul studied with the greatest expert on Judaism of the time.
5. The men who claimed to know (and would have) gave up everything (including their lives at times) to defend something that if not true was of no value. Muhammad only gained by his claims in money, power, and glory. That is until the wife of one of his many victims poisoned him.

Given that the disciples were Jewish, Jesus himself would have been Jewish, and the only authorative figure that you will note out of the 12 disciples of Jesus is Paul to whom you give all authority in knowing more than 99% I would say no, you really dont' know what you're talking about. There is plenty of reason to glam on to Judaism given that the bible is made up of the OT and the NT, given that there are direct statements in the OT...but you will believe what you believe.

Parallelism is one of the worst arguments against Christianity in a long list of bad ones. You can't just assert borrowing into reality. I actually gave the sources and at times have given many specific claims (that are not similar but virtually word for word) concerning the stories Islam borrowed from pre-Muhammad myth and heretical teaching. Until you give examples assertions won't do it.

There's Christmas, Easter borrowed into Christianity, both having pagan influences. There's the story of the global flood which predates Judaism borrowed from the Epic of Gilgamesh which itself borrowed from Atra-Hasis. There's the story of the tower of babel, there's the use of Babylonian Mythology used to describe Lucifer in Isaiah. There have definitely been borrowing. I'm not asserting it into reality. It exists there of its own accord.

Occam's razor says to not claim causes beyond necessity. It also is not a statement of what is but only a general guide concerning how many causes to claim when in ignorance of how many there are. Since my statements are that a God (exists) then at least one way should have been provided and that is consistent with Occam's razor but more than one is not. Occam never suggested assuming no cause exists for an effect.

Your claim is that there is one true religion.

Every religion claims that they are the one true religion.

Either all these religions are right or they are all wrong. Saying that in the cluster of all these religions exists only 1 with a grain of truth is complicating the entire situation.

That is why my argument that he would not have has nothing to do with diversity but efficiency and consistency and most of all benevolence.

Neither would asserting it into one truth be benevolent. Realizing that not all would have access to that one truth, not all would be raised in a situation where that one truth would be there, nor the resulting death of those who differed in their opinions of what that one truth actually meant.

You believe you are right, so do catholics, so do jehovah witnesses, angelicans, prsesbyterian, so do mormons, actually you're one of the few baptists I know who don't believe in eternal damnation. It's not just diversity between different religions but within religions themselves how is that benevolent?

That most certainly has happened. I claim it does not explain the Bible nor is what you claimed in any way the basis of Biblical morality. It is maybe consistent with it at best but bears no to the Bible's core claims.

Because there is no such thing as absolute morality, at least not in the way that you claim it. The allowance of slavery, killing of babes, children and the elderly. A Omni-benevolent diety with Omnipotence does not need excuses and it has to be bevolence as we ascribe it because there is no other meaning that we know of.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I'd say examine the lives of the prophets of those religions, the teachings and see if they do make sense or not. You can't take the religion of an immoral person seriously right? So that way you can eliminate some of the religions and if only certain religions are left then get deeper and try to find the right one.
Only Christianity has a perfect prophet. Since beyond Christ there is no perfectly moral example your criteria establishes only Christianity as true. However I do not think that is what you were intending to demonstrate.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Hold the phone.

Given that the disciples were Jewish, Jesus himself would have been Jewish, and the only authorative figure that you will note out of the 12 disciples of Jesus is Paul to whom you give all authority in knowing more than 99% I would say no, you really dont' know what you're talking about. There is plenty of reason to glam on to Judaism given that the bible is made up of the OT and the NT, given that there are direct statements in the OT...but you will believe what you believe.
I could not have claimed that as I do not even know what it means. There was no Bible in the time period you are dealing with. No OT and no NT. There was only Christ who was killed by the Jews (and Romans) and the apostles who were persecuted by both. Paul was by far the most educated of them and wrote more than the rest combined but I did not mention 99%.

Are you telling me that the apostles just had their leader killed by the Jews and decided their best course of action was to attach their religion to the same people who already were persecuting them? That is one bizarre argument.

There's Christmas, Easter borrowed into Christianity, both having pagan influences.
I agree but as neither are part of the Bible I have no need to address them. I am defending the Bible and God not Pope's or Catholics.

There's the story of the global flood which predates Judaism borrowed from the Epic of Gilgamesh which itself borrowed from Atra-Hasis. There's the story of the tower of babel, there's the use of Babylonian Mythology used to describe Lucifer in Isaiah. There have definitely been borrowing. I'm not asserting it into reality. It exists there of its own accord.
Pick one and make the case for it and I will contend it. I have already done so and it is not a difficult task for most of the ones you claim.

Your claim is that there is one true religion.

Every religion claims that they are the one true religion.
One is unaffected even if 99% of the second were wrong.

Either all these religions are right or they are all wrong.
That is simply irrational logic.

Saying that in the cluster of all these religions exists only 1 with a grain of truth is complicating the entire situation.
That is probably why I never said that and in fact have said the exact opposite. I claim one faith is from God but most have much truth in them but not revealed by God.

Neither would asserting it into one truth be benevolent. Realizing that not all would have access to that one truth, not all would be raised in a situation where that one truth would be there, nor the resulting death of those who differed in their opinions of what that one truth actually meant.
The Bible claims that a person is only responsible for the revelation they have received. It also says that nature alone is enough so that no man is without excuse. Unless born in a lab and deprived of any access to books, nature, and other people you do not have a point. Any fault (true or not) assigned to a single pure truth is vastly compounded for any God who would give self contradictory and mutually exclusive claims to truth. I claim a God who would only claim circles are round is benevolent and your argument appears to be that no a God who would claims they are square and trapezoidal is better.

You believe you are right, so do catholics, so do jehovah witnesses, angelicans, prsesbyterian, so do mormons, actually you're one of the few baptists I know who don't believe in eternal damnation. It's not just diversity between different religions but within religions themselves how is that benevolent?
There is disagreement with virtually a scientific claims ever made. Does that mean science is false and no one is right. I do believe in eternal damnation but not eternal torture. Every group you mentioned agrees on countless issues BTW.

Because there is no such thing as absolute morality, at least not in the way that you claim it.
If you concede that is what you get without God then that is the extent of my claim. Morality without God is opinion and preference and not moral truth.

The allowance of slavery, killing of babes, children and the elderly. A Omni-benevolent diety with Omnipotence does not need excuses and it has to be bevolence as we ascribe it because there is no other meaning that we know of.
It is only with a God that any off those things could be evil to begin with. You must have God to deny him on those grounds. You must crawl into his lap to slap his face. Let me ask this, for any event where God took life that he created on what basis do know it was wrong? On what basis can the finite condemn the infinite? It is infinitely worse than a spider monkey telling Newton his calculus was wrong.

Enai de a lukal

If you concede that is what you get without God then that is the extent of my claim. Morality without God is opinion and preference and not moral truth.
This is simply not the case. On the one hand, the good/moral can be defined so as to make moral determinations a matter of fact, not of preference- utilitarianism, for instance (where an acts moral status is a function of its tendency to produce happiness and minimize suffering, not of "opinion and preference"). Secondly, one can deny moral realism (i.e. "objective" moral truth) and still hold that morality is more than mere "opinion and preference"; for instance, one could reasonably hold that morality is a bundle of adaptive strategies aimed at kin selection and reinforcing altruism.

It is only with a God that any off those things could be evil to begin with.
Wrong again. Slavery and murder are condemned by virtually every ethical system under the sun- including naturalistic ones like utilitarianism and deontic ethics. One doesn't need a god to inform them that murdering children or the elderly is wrong.

Let me ask this, for any event where God took life that he created on what basis do know it was wrong?
On the basis we use to determine whether any action is wrong... Does it cause unnecessary suffering? Could the action be universalized without being self-defeating? etc. (whatever our preferred ethical principle happens to be)

On what basis can the finite condemn the infinite?
Again, on the same basis that the finite condemns the finite- morality.

It is infinitely worse than a spider monkey telling Newton his calculus was wrong.
Only in the sense that if Newton needs a monkey to help him with his calculus, he isn't as much of an expert after all- similarly with God; if the supposed originator of ALL morality fails to recognize the difference between right or wrong, it turns out that he isn't as "all-good" as he was cracked up to be.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This is simply not the case. On the one hand, the good/moral can be defined so as to make moral determinations a matter of fact, not of preference- utilitarianism, for instance (where an acts moral status is a function of its tendency to produce happiness and minimize suffering, not of "opinion and preference"). Secondly, one can deny moral realism (i.e. "objective" moral truth) and still hold that morality is more than mere "opinion and preference"; for instance, one could reasonably hold that morality is a bundle of adaptive strategies aimed at kin selection and reinforcing altruism.
You are like the debate version of the game whack-a-mole. I am kidding of course but you seem to pop up and disappear without predictability. I have clarified my claims many times that I am only discussing either moral foundations or moral fact. You seem to suggest that I was claiming that morals are non-existent without God. Moral dictates can exist as brute facts but not as reflections of objective truth. The existence of a moral claim is not evidence that is a moral. Your last claim is concerning evolution and requires that morality be redefined as conducive to survival. I am not claiming that survival is immoral just that it is not the definition of morality. There are two distinction in morality and I believe we are not addressing the same one. Morals as human derived realities are not what I am discussing. Morals that are potential reflections of actual objective moral facts are.

Wrong again. Slavery and murder are condemned by virtually every ethical system under the sun- including naturalistic ones like utilitarianism and deontic ethics. One doesn't need a god to inform them that murdering children or the elderly is wrong.
No you are incorrect. I did not mention anything about what humans condemn. I said the claim that slavery is an actual moral evil is not true unless a God exists. Yes we must have a God to state anything is actually wrong. No mere human who ever lived has the power to make anything wrong. We can consider it wrong or claim it so but we can't make it so.

On the basis we use to determine whether any action is wrong... Does it cause unnecessary suffering?
You mean like abortion or homosexuality? I can't wait to see the semantic gymnastics that will go into this one.

Could the action be universalized without being self-defeating? etc. (whatever our preferred ethical principle happens to be)
That is a good basis for ethics but not moral fact. I would be satisfied if liberals would obey this alone.

Again, on the same basis that the finite condemns the finite- morality.
He was not condemning finite morality (which is a weird terminology) but an infinite God. There exists no capacity any human has to condemn any God. I think Allah neither exists nor if he does is compatible with my morality but I have no basis for claiming he was either objectively wrong or evil.

Only in the sense that if Newton needs a monkey to help him with his calculus, he isn't as much of an expert after all- similarly with God; if the supposed originator of ALL morality fails to recognize the difference between right or wrong, it turns out that he isn't as "all-good" as he was cracked up to be.
When you show Newton needed a monkey to discover Calculus or God needs a human to establish moral fact then both the monkey and the human might have the capacity to judge either. You are far too educated to make the statement in bold above IMO. I had to read it three times to believe it said what it did.

A bonus question: If evolution is the source for morals. Why is it wrong or less than very advantageous for me to kill every organism that does not contribute to my clans survival but that competes with me for resources? Even the guesses about reciprocity or cooperative benefit don't work in that scenario?

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Only Christianity has a perfect prophet. Since beyond Christ there is no perfectly moral example your criteria establishes only Christianity as true. However I do not think that is what you were intending to demonstrate.

As far as I have read Jesus ranks pretty high amongst 'prophets' like Muhammad or Krishna, but nowhere near Guru Nanak Sahib.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I could not have claimed that as I do not even know what it means. There was no Bible in the time period you are dealing with. No OT and no NT. There was only Christ who was killed by the Jews (and Romans) and the apostles who were persecuted by both. Paul was by far the most educated of them and wrote more than the rest combined but I did not mention 99%.

Are you telling me that the apostles just had their leader killed by the Jews and decided their best course of action was to attach their religion to the same people who already were persecuting them? That is one bizarre argument.

Killed by the Romans the Jews wouldn't have had the power, nor would Jewish law allow them to turn Christ over to the Romans. They were Jews...what part of that don't you get? They may not have been part of the Pharisees but they were certainly Jewish, Jesus's death wouldn't change that.

I agree but as neither are part of the Bible I have no need to address them. I am defending the Bible and God not Pope's or Catholics.

Pick one and make the case for it and I will contend it. I have already done so and it is not a difficult task for most of the ones you claim.

Then do it, you can't defend God or the Bible without going through an interpretation, end of the day you read out of the bible not into it.

One is unaffected even if 99% of the second were wrong.

That is simply irrational logic.

That is probably why I never said that and in fact have said the exact opposite. I claim one faith is from God but most have much truth in them but not revealed by God.

The only person who claims that Christianity is revealed by God is Paul who never met Jesus and despite being alive at the time of Jesus was never even taken as his disciple.

The Bible claims that a person is only responsible for the revelation they have received. It also says that nature alone is enough so that no man is without excuse. Unless born in a lab and deprived of any access to books, nature, and other people you do not have a point. Any fault (true or not) assigned to a single pure truth is vastly compounded for any God who would give self contradictory and mutually exclusive claims to truth. I claim a God who would only claim circles are round is benevolent and your argument appears to be that no a God who would claims they are square and trapezoidal is better.

You haven't shown that God is benevolent. You make a claim but cannot provide any proof or evidence of it. The Bible itself shows a God who arcs between

There is disagreement with virtually a scientific claims ever made. Does that mean science is false and no one is right. I do believe in eternal damnation but not eternal torture. Every group you mentioned agrees on countless issues BTW.

And disagree on countless more. You'll find the same disagreement in people within the same denomination. Yet you claim absolute revealed truth. This isn't science, science is made by man which you would say is faulty, this is religion a revealed truth. There should be no disagreement at all.

Then that certainly explains the condition of the world doesn't it.

It is only with a God that any off those things could be evil to begin with. You must have God to deny him on those grounds. You must crawl into his lap to slap his face. Let me ask this, for any event where God took life that he created on what basis do know it was wrong? On what basis can the finite condemn the infinite? It is infinitely worse than a spider monkey telling Newton his calculus was wrong.

On what basis? On any basis, the moment the infinite places itself into the realm of the finite it puts itself in contradiction with what the finite knows. It is the responsibility of the infinite to then make things understandable for the finite in a clear and concise manner. Just as it is expected for a teacher to be able to reach a student. The difference is that the infinite is also omnipotent and should logically be able to teach without fault or error.

Enai de a lukal

You are like the debate version of the game whack-a-mole. I am kidding of course but you seem to pop up and disappear without predictability. I have clarified my claims many times that I am only discussing either moral foundations or moral fact. You seem to suggest that I was claiming that morals are non-existent without God. Moral dictates can exist as brute facts but not as reflections of objective truth. The existence of a moral claim is not evidence that is a moral. Your last claim is concerning evolution and requires that morality be redefined as conducive to survival. I am not claiming that survival is immoral just that it is not the definition of morality. There are two distinction in morality and I believe we are not addressing the same one. Morals as human derived realities are not what I am discussing. Morals that are potential reflections of actual objective moral facts are.
We'll get to this below.

No you are incorrect. I did not mention anything about what humans condemn. I said the claim that slavery is an actual moral evil is not true unless a God exists. Yes we must have a God to state anything is actually wrong. No mere human who ever lived has the power to make anything wrong. We can consider it wrong or claim it so but we can't make it so.
The problem is that divine command theory is NOT the only variety of moral realism (the position that there are, to use your wording, "actual objective moral facts"), slavery is an ACTUAL MORAL EVIL if utilitarianism is correct, because slavery has objective features which must, according to the definition of "evil" in utilitarianism, be considered immoral or evil. Similarly with deontic ethics- if slavery is evil, then it is an objective, person-invariant fact that morality is evil; not because God or anyone else has decreed it, but due to objective facts about slavery.
You mean like abortion or homosexuality? I can't wait to see the semantic gymnastics that will go into this one.
You're missing the point- that we evaluate the ethics of the situation the same way we evaluate the ethics of ANY situation; according to our ethical framework (which, if one is a utilitarian, is to maximize happiness and minimize suffering).

That is a good basis for ethics but not moral fact. I would be satisfied if liberals would obey this alone.
Again, missing the point- this was simply another example of an ethical principle we could use to evaluate the moral status of an act or situation (i.e. deontism).

He was not condemning finite morality (which is a weird terminology) but an infinite God. There exists no capacity any human has to condemn any God.
Why should us being finite and God being infinite preclude us evaluating him according to ethical principles? And you do realize that if right, this would cut both ways- if the finite cannot evaluate the morality of the infinite, and we cannot condemn God, then we cannot praise him either; our capacity for moral evaluation is as deficient at identifying good as well as evil.

In other words, if you are correct here, then we have no license to describe God as good, because the finite cannot comprehend the infinite and all that jazz. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I'm afraid.

When you show Newton needed a monkey to discover Calculus or God needs a human to establish moral fact then both the monkey and the human might have the capacity to judge either. You are far too educated to make the statement in bold above IMO. I had to read it three times to believe it said what it did.
The problem is that if you assume God cannot have been mistaken, you're simply begging the question at hand here.

A bonus question: If evolution is the source for morals. Why is it wrong or less than very advantageous for me to kill every organism that does not contribute to my clans survival but that competes with me for resources? Even the guesses about reciprocity or cooperative benefit don't work in that scenario?
Why not? If you could do so without risk to your own fitness, then sure, it would seem to be be moral, from an evolutionary point of view. Of course, killing every organism that doesn't contribute to your in-groups fitness but competes with you for resources may well be dangerous business that leads to your own demise- which is VERY bad for one's reproductive success... :D

(however, it isn't generally held that a descriptive account of morality- which is what we're talking about here- can provide prescriptive moral rules; in other words, it may not be moral to do what is moral from an evolutionary point of view)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
As far as I have read Jesus ranks pretty high amongst 'prophets' like Muhammad or Krishna, but nowhere near Guru Nanak Sahib.
On what scale is that? Jesus is the most influential figure of any kind in human history. I have never heard of Sahib other that a generalized title given to even Englishmen. BTW are you from India?

"The character of Jesus has not only been the highest pattern of virtue, but the strongest incentive to its practice, and has exerted so deep an influence, that it may be truly said, that the simple record of three short years of active life has done more to regenerate and to soften mankind, than all the disquisitions of philosophers and than all the exhortations of moralists."

William Lecky One of Britain’s greatest secular historians.

He was the meekest and lowliest of all the sons of men, yet he spoke of coming on the clouds of heaven with the glory of God. He was so austere that evil spirits and demons cried out in terror at his coming, yet he was so genial and winsome and approachable that the children loved to play with him, and the little ones nestled in his arms. His presence at the innocent gaiety of a village wedding was like the presence of sunshine.
No one was half so compassionate to sinners, yet no one ever spoke such red hot scorching words about sin. A bruised reed he would not break, his whole life was love, yet on one occasion he demanded of the Pharisees how they ever expected to escape the damnation of hell. He was a dreamer of dreams and a seer of visions, yet for sheer stark realism He has all of our stark realists soundly beaten. He was a servant of all, washing the disciples feet, yet masterfully He strode into the temple, and the hucksters and moneychangers fell over one another to get away from the mad rush and the fire they saw blazing in His eyes.
He saved others, yet at the last Himself He did not save. There is nothing in history like the union of contrasts which confronts us in the gospels. The mystery of Jesus is the mystery of divine personality.

Scottish Theologian James Stuart

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Well I have not read much negative about Jesus' personal life. Muhammad etc failed on moral grounds, no control over anger and lust - so I reject the possibility of them being prophets.

Jesus preached in his area but Guru Nanak Dev preached in all Asia, Africa and parts of Europe.

You should read about Guru Nanak Dev Ji. And yes I am from Punjab, India but born/living in Europe.

Pearl S. Buck Noble Laureate, ‘Good Earth’

while giving her comments on the English translation of the Guru Granth Sahib (From the foreword to the English translation of Guru Granth Sahib by Gopal Singh Dardi) wrote:

"I have studied the scriptures of the great religions, but I do not find elsewhere the same power of appeal to the heart and mind as I find here in these volumes. They are compact in spite of their length and are a revelation of the concept of God to the recognition and indeed the insistence upon the practical needs of the human body. There is something strangely modern about these scriptures and this puzzled me until I learned that they are in fact comparatively modern, compiled as late as the 16th century when explorers were beginning to discover the globe upon which we all live is a single entity divided only by arbitrary lines of our making. Perhaps this sense of unity is the source of power I find in these volumes. They speak to a person of any religion or of none. They speak for the human heart and the searching mind.

The hymns in Guru Granth are an expression of man’s loneliness, his aspirations, his longings, his cry to God and his hunger for communication with that being. It speaks to me of life and death; of time and eternity; of temporal human body and its needs; of the mystic human soul and its longing to be fulfilled; of God and the indissoluble bond between them."

Bertrand Russell (Philosopher, Mathematician 1872-1970)

If some lucky men survive the onslaught of the third world war of atomic and hydrogen bombs, then the Sikh religion will be the only means of guiding them.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We'll get to this below.
Why not above?

The problem is that divine command theory is NOT the only variety of moral realism (the position that there are, to use your wording, "actual objective moral facts"), slavery is an ACTUAL MORAL EVIL if utilitarianism is correct, because slavery has objective features which must, according to the definition of "evil" in utilitarianism, be considered immoral or evil. Similarly with deontic ethics- if slavery is evil, then it is an objective, person-invariant fact that morality is evil; not because God or anyone else has decreed it, but due to objective facts about slavery.
What? What are dental ethics? I have already claimed ethics can be gained without God. We can define personal evils or good. We can't show they reflect anything objective. By person invariant I think you mean that for every person it would be evil. That is not the standard for objective in this context. Even if Hitler had exterminated everyone that disagreed killing Jews would still not be objectively right. I noticed you said "if" slavery is evil. Do you know of Sam Harris? He is a neuroscientist and the only atheistic debater I have ever seen claim objective morals exist. Craig (your nemesis apparently) finally boxed him in so tight that he admitted the atheist must assume they exist to begin with. Which it seems you have if I have interpreted you semantically gymnastics accurately. Why are almost all Christian arguments basic, easy to understand, lacking need of any terminological embellishment or obfuscation, and straightforward and atheists a literal circus of flowery rhetoric? You just are never getting objective moral truths without the transcendent no matter how much linguistic nuance is employed in the effort. Give me a simple objective standard for evil.

You're missing the point- that we evaluate the ethics of the situation the same way we evaluate the ethics of ANY situation; according to our ethical framework (which, if one is a utilitarian, is to maximize happiness and minimize suffering).
I have no interest or need for claims regarding perception, evaluation, or utility. I am discussing actual nature or quality given God and minus God. You can not redefine morality as being equal to happiness.

Again, missing the point- this was simply another example of an ethical principle we could use to evaluate the moral status of an act or situation (i.e. deontism).
Ethics can't comment on the nature or quality of moral fact. I am not missing but pointing out the irrelevance of your points. Your not discussing what I am.

Why should us being finite and God being infinite preclude us evaluating him according to ethical principles?
That is so easy and so simply it cannot even be obscured by rhetoric. We do not possess even a small percentage of the info he has to determine moral justification for an act. We may only see a baby die in the cradle but God saw a new Hitler lying there. We may kill a life in the womb but God saw the cure for cancer he would invent.

And you do realize that if right, this would cut both ways- if the finite cannot evaluate the morality of the infinite, and we cannot condemn God, then we cannot praise him either; our capacity for moral evaluation is as deficient at identifying good as well as evil.
Condemnation requires absolute knowledge. Praise requires personal desire. Even if he is right by default that does not mean my appreciation of him is invalid.

In other words, if you are correct here, then we have no license to describe God as good, because the finite cannot comprehend the infinite and all that jazz. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I'm afraid.
That is why I almost never use good. I use correct or right. I can consider him good personally and praise him but little grounds exists for labeling him as good or evil in a secular divine command theory context.

The problem is that if you assume God cannot have been mistaken, you're simply begging the question at hand here.
I spent years rejecting that conclusion based on preference. I still do not like "having" to determine he is right but it is so obviously true I have relented. However what is true using argumentation and what I feel is due or prefer to believe are two different issues.

1. I argue that God is consistent with what we general believe is good.
2. I argue that only with him is there grounds for claiming objective moral truth exists.

Your discussing whether personal preference (praise) is warranted in a argumentative sense and that is a personal matter.

Why not? If you could do so without risk to your own fitness, then sure, it would seem to be be moral, from an evolutionary point of view. Of course, killing every organism that doesn't contribute to your in-groups fitness but competes with you for resources may well be dangerous business that leads to your own demise- which is VERY bad for one's reproductive success... :D
I knew what the only argument that could be made was but did not think you would think of it so I did not head it off. Let me do so now. What you said about risk is invalid for two reasons. The weapons of today make actual morality the prohibitive not personal risk. Just last night I saw a show claiming humans had not only killed the mega beasts (Mastodon, Moa, Marsupial lion) but had over predated them and killed them of all together. What was the risk 50,000 years ago verses the gain of wiping out an entire food source? Risk is not prohibitive. It seemed to Hitler killing Jews was moral. It seems to modern secularists killing millions of human lives at some politically determined and ever changing point in time before birth is just fine but one second later is murder. We are nuts and for morality I want a second and higher opinion and fortunately I believe we have one.

(however, it isn't generally held that a descriptive account of morality- which is what we're talking about here- can provide prescriptive moral rules; in other words, it may not be moral to do what is moral from an evolutionary point of view)
Evolution is your moral source not mine. I think is almost comical to picture lawmakers and SC justices look at bone beds, guessing at behavior gain and loss, and carbon dating data to create law.

I have one primary claim.

1. Only with God do objective moral truths exist. That is not to say the ethics we invent are not objectively existent.

How simple is that. Look at what you have posted to get out of this simply claim. It looks like a pint shop exploded and interns were sent around looking for the most ambiguous and technical words to use in an attempt to show 1 + 1 = fruit loops.

You have two choices.

1. People are your source and that is not objective.
2. Evolution is your source and that is not moral. Unless you redefine morality as whatever someone (just like Hitler did in Eugenics and race superiority) claims evolution suggests.

I will applaud what you said about evolution and killing the competition. You did not exactly concede (you took the Buddhist middle path I guess) but you did not knee jerk react with a denial because it was inconvenient either.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well I have not read much negative about Jesus' personal life. Muhammad etc failed on moral grounds, no control over anger and lust - so I reject the possibility of them being prophets.

Jesus preached in his area but Guru Nanak Dev preached in all Asia, Africa and parts of Europe.

You should read about Guru Nanak Dev Ji. And yes I am from Punjab, India but born/living in Europe.
The reasons I asked was to find out if you have ever heard of an Englishman that hunted man eating tigers in Indian around the turn of the century. They called him by the term Sahib and he killed tigers that had already killed several thousand people there. There are even national parks named after him. His name was Colonel James Corbett.

I will look into the person you mention.

What is his status within Hinduism?

Do you have links to any evidence for miracles or prophecies given by him. Unless a person who is claiming divine inspiration has them as Christ and the Biblical prophets had (the one unmistakable mark of divine power) it is hard to grant that human wisdom is enough.