• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "something can't come from nothing" argument

ArtieE

I am not responsible for what people do with the defense of my faith. I am only required to be ready to supply it.

New International Version
Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him.
John 12:37
Which of course completely contradicts the whole point of faith. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." You can't turn a rationalist into a person of faith by showing him observational evidence. Faith is believing without evidence.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What? What is a supernatural counter claim?
I will rephrase. There are hundreds of millions of natural counter claims.

What? You almost incoherent here.

Supernatural can not even be shown to exist in any coherent manner. That's a major problem, the other being that we just keep finding nothing but naturalistic explanations.

I can't even imagine what it is you think is contradictory to the supernatural.
That supernatural does not exist in the natural realm. Supernatural is like saying you have to break natural laws. If no natural laws are broken then what? Square circles and stuff, that's supernatural. Nature would have to fail to be nature, I just don't see it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Which of course completely contradicts the whole point of faith. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." You can't turn a rationalist into a person of faith by showing him observational evidence. Faith is believing without evidence.
That is not true. Theological faith is defined by that theologies teachings. The bible teaches that Christ did miracles and nature alone contains so much evidence for God that no man is without excuse. In philosophy faith's only burden is that it has no defeaters. I raise that bar to the best conclusion given the evidence but I do not actually have that burden.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I will rephrase. There are hundreds of millions of natural counter claims.
Are you trying to say there is a natural counter claim to every one of the hundreds of millions of supernatural experience claims? If not you have lost me.

Supernatural can not even be shown to exist in any coherent manner. That's a major problem, the other being that we just keep finding nothing but naturalistic explanations.
It is perfectly coherent. In fact it makes nature coherent.

That supernatural does not exist in the natural realm. Supernatural is like saying you have to break natural laws. If no natural laws are broken then what? Square circles and stuff, that's supernatural. Nature would have to fail to be nature, I just don't see it.
No square circles are logical impossibilities, the same as a self caused universe. Once you show me no natural law has ever been broken then you can use that as a premise.

ArtieE

That is not true. Theological faith is defined by that theologies teachings.
"Faith and rationality are two modes of belief that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility. Rationality is belief based on reason or evidence. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority. The word faith generally refers to a belief that is held with lack of, in spite of or against reason and evidence"

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Faith_and_rationality.html

If you claim "nature alone contains so much evidence for God that no man is without excuse" then you are a rationalist going by "evidence" and not faith, which is belief in inspiration, revelation or authority and is applicable regardless of any evidence you might find in nature. Faith would be applicable if you didn't find any evidence in nature but had faith anyway.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are you t
No square circles are logical impossibilities, the same as a self caused universe. Once you show me no natural law has ever been broken then you can use that as a premise.

Law of thermodynamics. Self existence is a necessity for all of existence, whether god or creation. Regardless it is something from something, you cant say anything cant be self caused without destroying the concept of god in the process. That is nothing like a square circle which is contradictory because of the nature of a circle and a square. What about parting the red sea, I have seen natural explanations for even that. There is always going to be a skeptic making a counter claim even way back when. The supernaturalist has to eliminate every natural explanations because there are a heck of a lot more for nature.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Square circles are logical impossibilities, the same as a self caused universe. Once you show me no natural law has ever been broken then you can use that as a premise.

I'm confused - aren't you disproving your own position with that statement? How would a self caused creator god not be a logical impossibility?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
God is a being there for can't be a non-being. Persons are beings not non-beings. I did not mean a non-being. I meant non being, as in absent from reality, with no potential, no causality, no properties of any kind, and inert.

potential, property, and no cause....inert.

That takes the well known pronouncement..."I AM!".....into what?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm confused - aren't you disproving your own position with that statement? How would a self caused creator god not be a logical impossibility?

Who said logic had anything to do with creation?

Ask an artist what he is doing......

But I do see logic....
Kinda hard to say...."I AM!".....with no evidence of it.

Therefore.....'Let there be light!'

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That's ok.....and the question remains.

Well if you are asking me what logic has to do with creation, well the answer would that logic invalidates creation.

If there must be a creator, then the creator must have a creator and so on - positing a first cause is illogical.

johnhanks

What? If I said to you if you keep smoking crack you will die and you stop and live or continue and die, where is the con?
No con there, I agree - but then I wouldn't credit you with supernatural powers of prophecy, either.
Exactly what did the apostles gain from their con beyond a lifetime of persecution.
Sadly, the willingness of people to sacrifice their lives for a cause is no guarantee of the truth or worth of that cause.
Are you asking me to supply a few straight to the point non-conditional prophecies for you to evaluate from the bible?
I would be interested to read straightforward prophecies (verifiably written before the event) which describe in accurate detail what is to happen, where and when, and which require no special pleading or metaphorical interpretation to be seen to be fulfilled.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well if you are asking me what logic has to do with creation, well the answer would that logic invalidates creation.

If there must be a creator, then the creator must have a creator and so on - positing a first cause is illogical.

My logic went the other way.
The universe is the effect and God is the Cause.

technomage

Finding my own way
Yet you still have the same problem.

What caused god?

By the same token ... what caused the Big Bang?

A "first cause," at least in the temporal or causative sense, is not necessarily illogical. While I reject the concept of a primium mobile, in the Aristotelian sense, I can accept the assertion that _something_ had to come first, and that infinite regression of cause is problematic since we do not have an infinite regression of time.

As a side note ... I keep wanting to squash the bug crawling on my screen when I see your posts. ;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
By the same token ... what caused the Big Bang?

A "first cause," at least in the temporal or causative sense, is not necessarily illogical. While I reject the concept of a primium mobile, in the Aristotelian sense, I can accept the assertion that _something_ had to come first, and that infinite regression of cause is problematic since we do not have an infinite regression of time.

As a side note ... I keep wanting to squash the bug crawling on my screen when I see your posts. ;)

Who claims the Big Bang to be the beginning of everything?

Unlike religion, science has no problem saying "I don't know".

McBell

Admiral Obvious
He did.
God did it.

Now you are left with nothing more than special pleading.

I mean, you made an exception to your cause and effect for your favorite deity, why can't the universe be an exception?

Why does your favorite deity get a free pass?

I suspect the free pass is because you are actually trying to use your favorite deities free pass as evidence for your favorite deity.