• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The soul

I am new here and I thought this was a religious forum. I thought that the bible would have been forefront in discussions such as these. There have been only 1 post so far with scriptures to explain what the soul really is. No one bothered to reference that post or reply to it. Everyone else seems to be trying to explain what they understand the soul to be instead of trying to explain what the bible explains the soul to be. I am disappointed. So I will ask. What does the bible have to say about what the soul is and what makes up a soul.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...Hey Kid!...
Set your disappointment meter to a different reference.

Like you I was expecting a greater level of discussion.
A great deal of rebuttal here....revolves about word meanings...or methods of thinking...or resources quoted.
Any of this would be fine if the digression wasn't so severe.
The status quo rapidly deteriorates into side line efforts...and often fails to recover.

Unlike you, I came to debate theological ideas....and not be dependent on one source of reference. Many participants here do not use the Bible.
Some participants refuse the work altogether.

This topic is one good example.
It is falling away from the 'the soul'...it's nature...purpose...function...

Few people concede their discussion.
And there are lengthy threads to be found here...completely unraveled.

I say we are assembled....a thinking portion...an emotional portion...and a body.
As assemblies we can be taken apart.
The body will fail.
If you survive your death, you will retain your thoughts and your feelings...your soul.

Thief here...Hey Kid!...
Set your disappointment meter to a different reference.

Like you I was expecting a greater level of discussion.
A great deal of rebuttal here....revolves about word meanings...or methods of thinking...or resources quoted.
Any of this would be fine if the digression wasn't so severe.
The status quo rapidly deteriorates into side line efforts...and often fails to recover.

Unlike you, I came to debate theological ideas....and not be dependent on one source of reference. Many participants here do not use the Bible.
Some participants refuse the work altogether.

This topic is one good example.
It is falling away from the 'the soul'...it's nature...purpose...function...

Few people concede their discussion.
And there are lengthy threads to be found here...completely unraveled.

I say we are assembled....a thinking portion...an emotional portion...and a body.
As assemblies we can be taken apart.
The body will fail.
If you survive your death, you will retain your thoughts and your feelings...your soul.

Do animals have a soul?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here....
I've not dwelt on the topic of animals having souls....however.
A lot of people expect to see their pets in the after life.
Every pet is different. Each seems to have a personality.
Higher forms of life, such as dogs and horses, know their masters.

To say that animals have no soul, may be a bit presumptuous.

Thief here....
I've not dwelt on the topic of animals having souls....however.
A lot of people expect to see their pets in the after life.
Every pet is different. Each seems to have a personality.
Higher forms of life, such as dogs and horses, know their masters.

To say that animals have no soul, may be a bit presumptuous.

How would you explain the following?

Rev 16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here....you have digressed sharply...
Perhaps you would elaborate on the relevance of prophecy to this topic?

Thief here....you have digressed sharply...
Perhaps you would elaborate on the relevance of prophecy to this topic?

No I haven't. Let me quote another text.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I hope you see the point I am trying to raise because I disagree with you on what the soul is.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here....perhaps you would then elaborate more to the description of a soul?
Much more to it's character...purpose...function...etc.?

Thief here....perhaps you would then elaborate more to the description of a soul?
Much more to it's character...purpose...function...etc.?

The soul is the individual. We were made living souls. Adam was made a living soul and not given a living soul. So a soul as the hebrew word nephesh describes is a living, breathing creature.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...
So I see you note yourself as Christian but lean upon Jewish definitions.
If the soul is physical in nature it will perish when you do.
There will be no continuance.
No after life.

God is spirit. The Sons of God are spirit.
God is eternal. The Sons are eternal.
This is possible if life can be other than physical.

Thief here...
So I see you note yourself as Christian but lean upon Jewish definitions.
If the soul is physical in nature it will perish when you do.
There will be no continuance.
No after life.

Biblical definitions.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

We if the bible teaches that we are souls then when we die then so does the soul. There is an afterlife but at the second coming of Christ when the dead in Christ shall rise. If after death life continues then it would not be death.

God is spirit. The Sons of God are spirit.
God is eternal. The Sons are eternal.
This is possible if life can be other than physical.

By Sons of God you are referring to all of use i believe. We are not spirits but souls.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

As of now we are living souls as Adam was. However we shall bear the image of the heavenly who is a quickening spirit as the bible says it. However I would like if you elaborate on life other than physical so I understand exactly where you are coming from.

Thief here...
In previous post, you did ask...
so I took the time to look it up in Webster's.

There's not much difference by definition, between soul and spirit.
Some attention is given to the soul as the moral and emotional portion.
The intellect is held as separate.

I wouldn't go that far.
The mind (intellect) without an emotional heart, would be without feeling.
Literally.
The emotional heart without an intellect would be unbridled, and fickle.

I've had some serious mishaps along the way. (several)
I know the feel of cold and unresponsive flesh.
I know what it is to be blind.

My thoughts and my feelings remained intact. I recovered.

Apparently the flesh can shut down...and you will go on.

When one dies physically he dies in every other way as well. Only you spiritual record lives on to determine your destiny in the judgement.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...Hey Kid!...
Your using a tactic I grew up with.

You are taking bits and pieces of Scripture and butting them end to end as if this were some giant puzzle...and the pieces interlock any way you want them to.

Not so.

You might notice...I speak straight forwardly.
I lean toward statements that are difficult to say 'nay' to.
Quoting Scripture is all fine and good...as long as you're not using it under propaganda techniques.

Thief here...Hey Kid!...
Your using a tactic I grew up with.

You are taking bits and pieces of Scripture and butting them end to end as if this were some giant puzzle...and the pieces interlock any way you want them to.

Not so.

You might notice...I speak straight forwardly.
I lean toward statements that are difficult to say 'nay' to.
Quoting Scripture is all fine and good...as long as you're not using it under propaganda techniques.

If i post the entire chapters the message will still be the same. Sometimes it is not good to take one verse out of a chapter and use it to make a point. However in this case my use of these verses are not bad because the context of the chapters do not change the meaning of the verses i selected. They have the point I want to bring across.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...
It is written...do not die the second death.

The flesh fails. This is the first death.
The spirit (soul) that you are then should rise from the dust.
If you fail to renounce the flesh....eternal darkness is your fate.

Confinement in a corpse is not the way to go.
Seek not the flesh...seek the spirit.

hey_amigo

in my understanding

the saying goes... mind, body and soul and spirit.

the mind is your inner voice, thinking is when your mind speaks to itself.
the human body is a vessel for this current life. take good care of it.
your soul is your spark, it is where you feel emotions and feelings.
living in parallel is the spiritual body within your physical body. it will guide you in yyour afterlife journey towards heaven.

hope this helped you.

Heneni

Miss Independent
The soul sits in the pineal gland. Thats the short answer. Its the gateway between the natural and spiritual world. Its your 'third eye'. The spirit is in the centre of your being. The spirit energy at death leaves with the soul energy. That is how I understand it. When people have heavenly visions their third eye is opened completely. As long as the pineal gland is working the person is aware of that which goes on around them to a greater or lesser degree when in a coma.

The soul can think without a brain when it has left the body with the spirit.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
The soul sits in the pineal gland. Thats the short answer. Its the gateway between the natural and spiritual world. Its your 'third eye'. The spirit is in the centre of your being. The spirit energy at death leaves with the soul energy. That is how I understand it. When people have heavenly visions their third eye is opened completely. As long as the pineal gland is working the person is aware of that which goes on around them to a greater or lesser degree when in a coma.

The soul can think without a brain when it has left the body with the spirit.

When we are with the body, does that mean that we have 2 thoughts at the same time? (Soul and brain)
Or will the soul only take the place of brain once seperated?