• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The story of the Bible is a journey, from the garden, back to the garden, with a twist.

teage

Eve believed she would become one with God, as did Adam who was with her.
Their desire was greater than their fear of death, and the intent to eat was expressed as one flesh.
Once they ate, they realized their mistake, and understood fear, of God, was absolute.
God provides justice, as their heart was good, but their actions were disobedient, which they cannot hide from.
The serpent becomes a snake for its involvement, and its existence a reminder of God's mercy.
What ever you think Adam and Eve "believed" is not relevant. Yhwh confirms that they did indeed become like one of them.

So, back in the garden,
Access to the tree of life = immortality,
It is a mistake though to think God had no other purpose but to have a being who
lives everlastingly. God has untolds numbers of angels who never die. So why would
He only need another creature man to live everlastingly?

The tree of life both in Genesis and through to Revelation must stand for something
more profound that just immortality. By just reading Genesis we could not see this.
But eventually we can see the tree of life means the mingling of God and man.

To mingle two or more things together means to combine them in such a way
that the component remain distinguishable in the combination.
The tree of life signfies not just immortality but the "organic" union and blending together
of divinity with humanity. That is that man becomes builded into God and God becomes
builded into man.

If you have read this far with attention I would ask you teage - Was there any reason
for Adam to die other than eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?
How do you read it?

Curse lifted.
No mention of taking away our awareness? Mentions everything else, we retain awareness. Exactly the state the "serpent" put us in the first place.
Do you see Adam as not at all "aware" before taking into him the forbidden fruit?
He was aware enough to give names to all the animals.
He was aware enough to realize his wife was "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."
He was plenty aware while he was:
1.) Innocent
2.) Neutral between two destinies - God's way and "another" way.
3.) He was aware enough to warn his wife of the danger of the forbidden fruit.
4.) And he surely was aware that he had deputy authority assigned to him over the garden to
guard and protect God's interests on earth.

What he became aware of after disobedience was he and his wife suddenly
had a guilty conscience and new strange terror of their Creator.

How about this?

GoodAttention

What ever you think Adam and Eve "believed" is not relevant. Yhwh confirms that they did indeed become like one of them.

Attempting to understand what they believed is more relevant than what they did.

Otherwise your understanding of the story starts with the tree, not Genesis 1:1.

teage

It is a mistake though to think God had no other purpose but to have a being who
lives everlastingly. God has untolds numbers of angels who never die. So why would
He only need another creature man to live everlastingly?

The tree of life both in Genesis and through to Revelation must stand for something
more profound that just immortality. By just reading Genesis we could not see this.
But eventually we can see the tree of life means the mingling of God and man.

To mingle two or more things together means to combine them in such a way
that the component remain distinguishable in the combination.
The tree of life signfies not just immortality but the "organic" union and blending together
of divinity with humanity. That is that man becomes builded into God and God becomes
builded into man.

If you have read this far with attention I would ask you teage - Was there any reason
for Adam to die other than eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?
How do you read it?

Do you see Adam as not at all "aware" before taking into him the forbidden fruit?
He was aware enough to give names to all the animals.
He was aware enough to realize his wife was "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."
He was plenty aware while he was:
1.) Innocent
2.) Neutral between two destinies - God's way and "another" way.
3.) He was aware enough to warn his wife of the danger of the forbidden fruit.
4.) And he surely was aware that he had deputy authority assigned to him over the garden to
guard and protect God's interests on earth.

What he became aware of after disobedience was he and his wife suddenly
had a guilty conscience and new strange terror of their Creator.

How about this?
I read it as the text renders it, I do not understand everything but I understand plenty. For the things I struggle on I keep notes and research.
For me, it reads like this.

One FATHER many Gods. Counsel of Gods. (Genesis) (also confirmed in Deuteronomy with better detail)
YHWH does not get mentioned until Exodus.
YHWH lies in the garden. Adam and Eve did not die from the fruit or even by touching it, they died because YHWH exiled them. (call it punishment I agree)
Serpent did not tempt them for he did not plant the tree in the first place, he just told the truth.
YHWH confirms the serpents claim and got angry thereby kicking them out of the garden.

According to Deuteronomy, as mentioned above, YHWH is given his ppl, by the FATHER.

YHWH is now the "God" of this world.

When the devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness, he offered to Jesus the world, if only Jesus would worship him and Jesus did not call him a liar. Satan is the "God" of this world. (Satan has many names indeed)

Jesus said you will know them by their fruit.
So far YHWH lied in the garden, In Exodus he gets angry because of constant bickering and sends poisonous snakes, poisonous quail, fake manna from heaven (according to Jesus), killed all estimated at a couple million but 2 and then kills Moses too.
YHWH describes himself in Hosea, Revelation describes the beast, complete with reference to "dragon".

God of the OT is NOT God of the NT. Its night and day. Thats the short version, one could write a book on it.

teage

Attempting to understand what they believed is more relevant than what they did.

Otherwise your understanding of the story starts with the tree, not Genesis 1:1.
There was nothing for them to "believe". They were there. You and I "believe" because we have never seen. Knowing is not the same as believing.

GoodAttention

There was nothing for them to "believe". They were there. You and I "believe" because we have never seen. Knowing is not the same as believing.

They knew their God, and they knew God is good.
Wanting to be closer to their father and creator is only human nature.
But it should not come at the cost of their lives.

teage

They knew their God, and they knew God is good.
Wanting to be closer to their father and creator is only human nature.
But it should not come at the cost of their lives.
I agree, but I disagree because we don't have the same idea of their FATHER. Deception indeed did happen, just not like you think.

teage

Who is Adam's father?

To me father is synonymous with creator.

I don't think deception happened at all, so I agree it wouldn't be like I think.
"Let (us) make man in (our) own image" I don't believe in the trinity so thats out, but since the FATHER is the creator of ALL things, including the "counsel of gods", then what ever the counsel creates still belongs to the FATHER. Not YHWH.

GoodAttention

"Let (us) make man in (our) own image" I don't believe in the trinity so thats out, but since the FATHER is the creator of ALL things, including the "counsel of gods", then what ever the counsel creates still belongs to the FATHER. Not YHWH.

That verse describes the creation of mankind (separate to Adam).

Adam was created from dirt, so who was the one who did that?

GoodAttention

Adam was the first man, how is that separate to Adam?

I read Genesis 1 and 2 as a single chapter, 8 verses at a time, 7 "stanzas" in total.

Adam was the first man, yes, created on the 2nd day. This is separate to "mankind", other men and women who were made in God's image on the 6th day. Most people who debate this point with me say these verses are contradictory and from different sources, which I reject completely.

In any case, who created Adam and/or mankind as referred to in the Hebrew scriptures?

teage

I read Genesis 1 and 2 as a single chapter, 8 verses at a time, 7 "stanzas" in total.

Adam was the first man, yes, created on the 2nd day. This is separate to "mankind", other men and women who were made in God's image on the 6th day. Most people who debate this point with me say these verses are contradictory and from different sources, which I reject completely.

In any case, who created Adam and/or mankind as referred to in the Hebrew scriptures?
Wait a minute, go on cause i may be missing something. So you agree Adam was the first man, but separate to mankind? Im not saying you are right or wrong im just interested in how you get to this. I will have to go back and look over those verses.

GoodAttention

Wait a minute, go on cause i may be missing something. So you agree Adam was the first man, but separate to mankind?

Yes.

Created at a time before plants, i.e. day 2 of creation. Mankind created specifically on day 6.

On day 6 no partner could be found for Adam, so God removed his rib and put him in a deep sleep. Adam did not wake on day 7, and since God was resting, Eve was created (at the earliest) on day 8.

teage

Yes.

Created at a time before plants, i.e. day 2 of creation. Mankind created specifically on day 6.

On day 6 no partner could be found for Adam, so God removed his rib and put him in a deep sleep. Adam did not wake on day 7, and since God was resting, Eve was created (at the earliest) on day 8.
First I want to say thank you, You have given me yet another mission lol. Im not turning up with your conclusion on the days but I am noticing some interesting things going on that I have not noticed before. It does seem like mankind before adam, complete with females. I have some digesting to do and will be busy with this for a little while.

To answer your original question, it is YHWH, one of the members of the divine counsel suggesting he was not alone in creation, or otherwise why even mention the counsel in the first place? So, gods, not god.

Last edited: