• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sumerian Flood Story

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
ancient mans imagination, all it is due to there lack of knowledge of the hydrological cycle

NOTHING MORE
“Every river flows into the sea, but the sea is not yet full. The water returns to where the rivers began, and starts all over again.”—Ecclesiastes 1:7 (Todays English Version)

Job 36:26 Behold! God is more exalted than we can know;
In number his years are beyond searching.
27 For he draws up the drops of water;
They filter as rain for his mist,
28 So that the clouds trickle,
They drip upon mankind abundantly

Amos 5:8 The Maker of the Ki′mah constellation and the Ke′sil constellation... the One calling for the waters of the sea, that he may pour them out upon the surface of the earth—Jehovah is his name

as you can see, the bible speaks of earths water cycle quite accurately.

Archer

That is where you are wrong, my friend. When you put them in a debate forum, you put yourself in the position of having to defend your claims, whether you like it or not. :)

Well I actually don't; but I do. I find that by actually debating things and seeing many of the perfectly reasonable and logical alternatives it leads me to study and learn more. It brings me closer to the creator.

outhouse

Atheistically
Ecclesiastes 1:7 (Todays English Version)

mentions nothing nothing about clouds and how rain is formed.

“Every river flows into the sea

not true at all

For he draws up the drops of water;

thanks, that is proof they had no clue of how rain happened.

watch the vid i posted

before i have to post how they thought thunder was god talking

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Well I actually don't; but I do. I find that by actually debating things and seeing many of the perfectly reasonable and logical alternatives it leads me to study and learn more. It brings me closer to the creator.
It is worth it if it just brings you closer to the truth.

Archer

It is worth it if it just brings you closer to the truth.

Seeing the wonders of science only makes me stronger in my faith. It makes me look and ask questions of the Bible and with meditation and study I find answers. I give the credit for this to the Father.

I honestly think evolution is the most wondrous of things and should have been accepted for the most part as it shows actual intelligence. Make something to survive.

I am not saying I believe man came from monkeys but I do believe in evolution.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

the bible doesnt say that the earth is the center of all things

but it does say this:

Gen 11:6"...Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them..."

being made in Gods image is what makes all things possible for us...but we dont have ourselves to thank for that.

outhouse

Atheistically
do you even know the sumarian story in which this thread is about?

we know the river and we know the time of the great flood, we know the person who got on board of a barge with animals and wjhat he owned and floated down the river and survived when many many people dies around him. It was a terrible and loss of life was high.

the jews stole this event never knowing anything about it,,, other then what was going around at that time being told by oral tales and handed down through the generations.

like most of genesis it is fiction and stolen fiction. we know books were compiled and that there are 5 different authors for this peice of fiction.

the fact people believe the literal translation is a sad state of humanity.

surrendered people obey god's word even if it doesnt make sense.

its pitiful

gnostic

The Lost One
archer said:
Seeing the wonders of science only makes me stronger in my faith. It makes me look and ask questions of the Bible and with meditation and study I find answers. I give the credit for this to the Father.

I honestly think evolution is the most wondrous of things and should have been accepted for the most part as it shows actual intelligence. Make something to survive.

The wonders of science makes me have stronger in my faith that man can rise to the occasions, striving for knowledge and unlocking the secrets about nature and life. It is my faith in humanity, not some god that may or may not exist.

God have nothing to do with it, so he definitely don't deserve credits for something God hasn't done.

I don't see divine hand of God in the cycle of life, and the minute changes that occur with each new generation. I don't see God's vision to increase our knowledge and keep improving our technology at a rapid rate.

I admire Jesus for his compassion, but his teaching is a two-edged sword. For his teaching, can also have the opposite effect, due to interpretation of his words. And this effect have done more harm to mankind his teaching: untold and profound misery. Look at the Church's history, and you will see that it had inflicted more bloodshed and violation of human rights than any pagan religion, all in the name of Jesus and the God he represented.

paolops181

God rules!
For those who insist on being literal about the Bible's flood story, we have a text older then the Bible called the epic of Gilgamesh, which gives a flood account different to the Bible's. It's older, so if we have to literally believe in a flood, why not that one? I argue there's no reason we shouldn't reject the Bible's flood story and accept the Sumerian one. After all, the epic of Gilgamesh says so, and because it's old and claims it, it must be true.

The epic of Gilgamesh is not included in the bible & it doesn't matter if it's older than the bible because the bible is fixed/complete.
"Search from the book of the LORD, and read:
Not one of these shall fail;
Not one shall lack her mate.
For My mouth has commanded it, and His Spirit has gathered them." :yes:
-Is.34:16

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The epic of Gilgamesh is not included in the bible & it doesn't matter if it's older than the bible because the bible is fixed/complete.
"Search from the book of the LORD, and read:
Not one of these shall fail;
Not one shall lack her mate.
For My mouth has commanded it, and His Spirit has gathered them." :yes:
-Is.34:16

This is called circular reasoning

Archer

The wonders of science makes me have stronger in my faith that man can rise to the occasions, striving for knowledge and unlocking the secrets about nature and life. It is my faith in humanity, not some god that may or may not exist.

God have nothing to do with it, so he definitely don't deserve credits for something God hasn't done.

I don't see divine hand of God in the cycle of life, and the minute changes that occur with each new generation. I don't see God's vision to increase our knowledge and keep improving our technology at a rapid rate.

I admire Jesus for his compassion, but his teaching is a two-edged sword. For his teaching, can also have the opposite effect, due to interpretation of his words. And this effect have done more harm to mankind his teaching: untold and profound misery. Look at the Church's history, and you will see that it had inflicted more bloodshed and violation of human rights than any pagan religion, all in the name of Jesus and the God he represented.

Well we only have one point of contention on this (not the thread) I give credit to the divine.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
There is no connection at all between "the wonders of science" and any religious doctrine.

Evolution is not "wondrous". It is, more often than not, brutal and unforgiving. It would not work without death.

Nobody who "believes in evolution" would ever make the absurd claim that human beings came from monkeys. There is a difference between apes and monkeys. ;)

Archer

There is no connection at all between "the wonders of science" and any religious doctrine.

Evolution is not "wondrous". It is, more often than not, brutal and unforgiving. It would not work without death.

Nobody who "believes in evolution" would ever make the absurd claim that human beings came from monkeys. There is a difference between apes and monkeys. ;)

Both are furry critters:) I think if I did evolve I came from a Dog:)

Just let me ask one question. How will the earth end? The Bible told us long before science.

Pork is bad for you and the Bible said this long before science.

The Bible warned of homosexuality and immortality and that is what got aids going good.

Void and formless thousands of years before science confirmed it.

Cain went out and bread with a neanderthal and we have proof of that now.

Tristesse

Both are furry critters:) I think if I did evolve I came from a Dog:)

Just let me ask one question. How will the earth end? The Bible told us long before science.

Pork is bad for you and the Bible said this long before science.

The Bible warned of homosexuality and immortality and that is what got aids going good.

Void and formless thousands of years before science confirmed it.

Cain went out and bread with a neanderthal and we have proof of that now.

The earth will most likely end in heat death, but not for a few billion years.

And your ignorance of AID's is quite amazing. AID's when first discovered was thought to be a homosexual desease, but that myth has long been proven false. Genetic studies indicate that it passed into the human population from chimpanzees.

Last edited:

Archer

The earth will most likely end in heat death, but not for a few billion years.

And your ignorance of AID's is quite amazing. AID's when first discovered was thought to be a homosexual desease, but that myth has long been proven false. Genetic studies indicate that it passed into the human population from chimpanzees.

I never said that it came from homosexuals and you should learn to read. I said that was what got it going not what started it. Now if you are so stupid you can't comprehend what I said then don't make a post putting words in my mouth. I never said that.

In your blind ignorance you did not take notice that I also said immorality which covers all peoples.

Also turn spell check on if you can.

Tristesse

I never said that it came from homosexuals and you should learn to read. I said that was what got it going not what started it. Now if you are so stupid you can't comprehend what I said then don't make a post putting words in my mouth. I never said that.

In your blind ignorance you did not take notice that I also said immorality which covers all peoples.

Also turn spell check on if you can.

No, sex got it started. And I spelt one word wrong, disease. What difference does it make if you say immorality, what we're talking about is aid's, how does immorality have anything to do with aids?

Archer

No, sex got it started. And I spelt one word wrong, disease. What difference does it make if you say immorality, what we're talking about is aid's, how does immorality have anything to do with aids?

Sexual immorality. Ya know some people screwing everything and passing the disease to their significant other who has only been screwing them.

Sorry I came across an *** by the way. Long day.

Tristesse

Sexual immorality. Ya know some people screwing everything and passing the disease to their significant other who has only been screwing them.

Sorry I came across an *** by the way. Long day.

Sex with others while your married, can be wrong, unless you have an open relationship, and both parties are clear about this. But thats not what this is about, you can pass aids on to your wife and or husband without ever cheating on them. So, the point is moot. And sex isn't the only way aids is transfered, it could be transfered by an open wound.

And no apologies necessary.