• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Translation Error Page - New Testament

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

If you know of a translation error in the NT, let's compile them here.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You know what they say when you assume? :D

But....I would assume you are talking about all versions of the Bible, correct?

I hope this doesn't make me a donkey...

A

angellous_evangellous

Victor said:
You know what they say when you assume? :D

But....I would assume you are talking about all versions of the Bible, correct?

I hope this doesn't make me a donkey...

It doesn't matter to me.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'd simply like to place "translation errors" in the NT under closer scrutiny here.

Most people who claim errors don't know Greek, and these errors end up just being myths -- they also tend to circulate and repeat themselves...

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Baptism

Grace

These are two of my favorite problematic translations. The first is merely transliterated and has become a "rite" becaus of it.

The second is a departure from the Greek.

Scuba Pete

The Greek for Baptism can be simply translated as "Immersed".

The Greek for Grace can be simply translated into "Charisma".

PetShopBoy88

Scuba Pete said:
The Greek for Baptism can be simply translated as "Immersed".
Ok, thanks. But what do you mean when you say that it's problematic that a transliteration has turned it into a rite?

The Greek for Grace can be simply translated into "Charisma".
Ah. So the Grace of God is more that God is a very charismatic leader? Or something like htat? :cool:

Scuba Pete

It was never really translated, but a new word created out of the Greek. Instead of being the simple act of immersion, it now has a funky name that means a Christian rite.

Charisma comes directly from that Greek word, charis. According to the Bible, Jesus was full of Grace and truth. Go figure: Jesus was charismatic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Scuba Pete said:
It was never really translated, but a new word created out of the Greek. Instead of being the simple act of immersion, it now has a funky name that means a Christian rite.
A funky word that means a Christian rite? Jesus sure did make a big deal about making sure we participate in it. He also made darned good and sure that He received this "Christian rite" Himself. I wonder why.

PetShopBoy88

Scuba Pete said:
So what if anything do you think would have been different if the gospels had read:

Matthew 3:13-17 said:
Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be immersed by him. But John forbade him, saying, I have need to be immersed by thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. And Jesus, when he was immersed, wet up straightway out of the water.

or

Mark 16:16 said:
He that believeth and is immersed shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Charisma comes directly from that Greek word, charis. According to the Bible, Jesus was full of Grace and truth. Go figure: Jesus was charismatic.
Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the clearification.

A

angellous_evangellous

Scuba Pete said:

Pete, a complete review of charis is available. It is part of the economic system of ancient Rome, used to describe the "gifts" that a rich patron "owes" his clients. It is to be given (ideally) out of friendship. Socially, the rich patron is obligated to give charis (in the form of anything - money, food, other small gifts, or even farms) in exchange for any type of service/gift from the client (praise, work, or any other service.

Harrison, James R. Paul’s Language of Grace in its Greco-Roman Context. Wissenschaftliche Utersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 2. Reihe, ed. Jorg Frey, no. 172. Tübingen: Mohr, 2003.

A

angellous_evangellous

Scuba Pete said:

Baptism as a rite pre-dates Christianity, and other cults practiced it in the first century, including the Jews.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Katzpur said:
A funky word that means a Christian rite? Jesus sure did make a big deal about making sure we participate in it. He also made darned good and sure that He received this "Christian rite" Himself. I wonder why.
Hundreds of other people were baptised by John before and after Jesus, each of them made the special trip to the Jordan to receive a baptism too. Many stayed and became John's disciples, receiving countless baptisms.

Jesus was told about John, and then went to visit like so many others, it wasn't anything particularily special for someone to do at that time and in that place.

Jewish baptismal cults weren't that uncommon.

A

angellous_evangellous

Halcyon said:
Jewish baptismal cults weren't that uncommon.

I think that the Mithras cult did it, too. There is some debate about it, but I think that they did... I think that I hold the majority view.

If not, my vote counts as two anyway. :cool:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
angellous_evangellous said:
I think that the Mithras cult did it, too. There is some debate about it, but I think that they did... I think that I hold the majority view.
Wouldn't surprise me. Humans like being dunked in water, the idea of becoming spiritually cleansed in the same way we become physically cleansed isn't a big leap in thinking, more like a baby step.

angellous_evangellous said:
If not, my vote counts as two anyway. :cool:
Well, of course.:bow:

A

angellous_evangellous

Halcyon said:
Wouldn't surprise me. Humans like being dunked in water, the idea of becoming spiritually cleansed in the same way we become physically cleansed isn't a big leap in thinking, more like a baby step.

Ha! Mind if I quote you on this?

Well, of course.:bow:

:hugehug:

A

angellous_evangellous

Halcyon said:
Sure, so long as you respect my intellectual property rights and pay me $15 per use. ;)

I don't recall who said this, but... :D