• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U.S. was not founded as a Christian nation.

a_student

I wouldn't say so. There's a difference between a nation with lots of Christians and a Christian nation.

Okay and what about swearing on the Bible in court? I'm not saying it's officially a Christian nation, just unofficially. It's not documented but it's certainly implemented.

Popeyesays

Okay and what about swearing on the Bible in court? I'm not saying it's officially a Christian nation, just unofficially. It's not documented but it's certainly implemented.

It's a hang-over from English Common Law, but one does NOT have to swear on the Bible these days and for the last century or more. In other words, swearing on a Bible is not a requirement, more a ceremony.

Regards,
Scott

a_student

It's a hang-over from English Common Law, but one does NOT have to swear on the Bible these days and for the last century or more. In other words, swearing on a Bible is not a requirement, more a ceremony.

Regards,
Scott

But the fact is it's still practiced in a court of law, which is sanctioned by the United States government. English is NOT the official language of the United States but laws are still written in it. However, there is nothing ON PAPER that says English is the official language. Just like there is nothing on paper that says America is a Christian nation. One only needs to live here to come to these assumptions, written or not.

Popeyesays

But the fact is it's still practiced in a court of law, which is sanctioned by the United States government. English is NOT the official language of the United States but laws are still written in it. However, there is nothing ON PAPER that says English is the official language. Just like there is nothing on paper that says America is a Christian nation. One only needs to live here to come to these assumptions, written or not.

We have to administer those laws in different languages from time to time. But the U.S. is expressly founded on NO official language OR religion. Those founding fathers were thinkers and they had a real consensus on some things.
Regards,
Scott

McBell

Admiral Obvious
key word highlighted in blue.

Are you now going to assume that your assumptions are correct?

a_student

We have to administer those laws in different languages from time to time. But the U.S. is expressly founded on NO official language OR religion. Those founding fathers were thinkers and they had a real consensus on some things.
Regards,
Scott

It wasn't written, but implied. There is no official language but I can't demand that my drivers license be in Greek.

key word highlighted in blue.

Are you now going to assume that your assumptions are correct?

So are you then assuming that English is not the unofficial official language in the US? Do you live in the United States? If so, what part do you live in that English is not used? Have you ever spent US currency? Doesn't it have English written all over it (with a little bit of Latin)? Does everything have to be written down in order for you to believe it? Furthermore do you believe everything that is written down? If I see a car going 200 mph I would assume that is a fast car. You don't have to write up an official document that says "This car is fast." It's called common sense. So based on the fact that US Governmental agencies shut down for Christmas, there is a practice of swearing on the Bible in US courts, one could make 1 of 2 assumptions: 1) Christianity is the unwritten official religion of the US or 2) Every other religion is grossly discriminated against in the US.

And although there is nothing written that says English is the official language, if there were, I guarantee it would be written in... you guessed it: ENGLISH!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So are you then assuming that English is not the unofficial official language in the US?
The USA does not have an OFFICIAL language.
English may be the most common language, but it is not the official language.

Do you live in the United States?
Yes

If so, what part do you live in that English is not used? Have you ever spent US currency? Doesn't it have English written all over it (with a little bit of Latin)? Does everything have to be written down in order for you to believe it? Furthermore do you believe everything that is written down?
What does this have to do with the FACT that the USA does not have an official language?

If I see a car going 200 mph I would assume that is a fast car. You don't have to write up an official document that says "This car is fast." It's called common sense. So based on the fact that US Governmental agencies shut down for Christmas, there is a practice of swearing on the Bible in US courts, one could make 1 of 2 assumptions: 1) Christianity is the unwritten official religion of the US or 2) Every other religion is grossly discriminated against in the US.

And although there is nothing written that says English is the official language, if there were, I guarantee it would be written in... you guessed it: ENGLISH!
You do not seem to understand what the word 'official' means.

Furthermore, you seem to think that 'most common' means 'official.'
Sorry, but your "common sense" is rather faulty.

Your whole argument is based upon the false premise that most popular/common equates official.

Interesting to note that 'Unwritten" is the EXACT OPPOSITE of "official."
So I do find it rather interesting when your argument can pretty much be summed up as:
English is the unwritten official language of the USA.
Funny that.

a_student

The USA does not have an OFFICIAL language.
English may be the most common language, but it is not the official language.

Yes

What does this have to do with the FACT that the USA does not have an official language?

You do not seem to understand what the word 'official' means.

Furthermore, you seem to think that 'most common' means 'official.'
Sorry, but your "common sense" is rather faulty.

Your whole argument is based upon the false premise that most popular/common equates official.

Interesting to note that 'Unwritten" is the EXACT OPPOSITE of "official."
So I do find it rather interesting when your argument can pretty much be summed up as:
English is the unwritten official language of the USA.
Funny that.

I understand that there is no official language. I'm the one that brought that up. Have you read anything that I've typed? What I'm saying is that even though there is no official language or religion on paper, there is a language and a religion that is implied. It can be seen in everyday life. Officially there is no war going on in Iraq because congress never declared it. But try telling that to someone who has lost a loved one. There is no official document that says my brother is my brother does that mean he's not? Official doesn't mean "written down on paper." If it is recognized by the general population it can also be implied.

From Merrian Webster Dictionary
Official - prescribed or recognized as authorized
Authorize - power to influence or command thought, opinion, or behavior

Now, the laws and government may not be set up to appease all Christian beliefs, but I never saw anyone swear on a Qur'an in court or close down a Government agency on Friday so a Muslim can go to their Friday congregation. You can act blind if you want to and pretend that nothing is real unless it is written down on Government document, but I live in the real world. If it were as simple as writing things down I would write "I am a millionaire" on a napkin everyday. Would that officially make me a millionaire?

Last edited:

Sententia

I can't believe people are still trying to debate this. (check the first link in my sig)

I dont get it either. I blame o'reilly.

America... not founded as a christian nation. Today... A nation of christians does not make a christian nation.

Not christian. In god we do not trust. You think thats true? Seriously? Someone shoots a nuke at us you go ahead and trust in god. Why put bullets in our gun? Why lock up prisoners.. just kill em, let god sort em out. In god we trust... Amusing. Knights... grrr Ok.

I thought this was settled to... but what seems to be happening is some new person sees the thread... they dunno, their indoctrinated and believe their right because thats probably been enough for them up until now... so anyways they see this thread... their like ***? ? ? Of course we were founded as a christian nation. They think their so good at debate that they can change history.

I dunno.

Bothers me... Cant blame public schools for this one....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It wasn't written, but implied. There is no official language but I can't demand that my drivers license be in Greek.
I betcha that you can't demand it in orange, either. What does that tell you about the official nature of the colour of your drivers licence?

What about the fact that you can't demand that your licence be imprinted on a perfect sphere? Does "flat" hold some official status with your government?

So are you then assuming that English is not the unofficial official language in the US? Do you live in the United States? If so, what part do you live in that English is not used? Have you ever spent US currency? Doesn't it have English written all over it (with a little bit of Latin)? Does everything have to be written down in order for you to believe it? Furthermore do you believe everything that is written down? If I see a car going 200 mph I would assume that is a fast car. You don't have to write up an official document that says "This car is fast." It's called common sense. So based on the fact that US Governmental agencies shut down for Christmas, there is a practice of swearing on the Bible in US courts, one could make 1 of 2 assumptions: 1) Christianity is the unwritten official religion of the US or 2) Every other religion is grossly discriminated against in the US.

By that version of "common sense", the capital of Canada is Toronto. ;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I understand that there is no official language. I'm the one that brought that up. Have you read anything that I've typed? What I'm saying is that even though there is no official language or religion on paper, there is a language and a religion that is implied. It can be seen in everyday life. Officially there is no war going on in Iraq because congress never declared it. But try telling that to someone who has lost a loved one. There is no official document that says my brother is my brother does that mean he's not? Official doesn't mean "written down on paper." If it is recognized by the general population it can also be implied.
Rather poor example you present.
The fact is that there is no official war in Iraq.
That does not mean that there is no war.

Interesting that you do not know the difference.
Not surprising, but interesting none the less.

Now, the laws and government may not be set up to appease all Christian beliefs, but I never saw anyone swear on a Qur'an in court or close down a Government agency on Friday so a Muslim can go to their Friday congregation.
Not only did you not address the fact that you seem to have a hard time distinguishing between most common and official, you seem to want to declare that the most common IS official.

You can act blind if you want to and pretend that nothing is real unless it is written down on Government document, but I live in the real world. If it were as simple as writing things down I would write "I am a millionaire" on a napkin everyday. Would that officially make me a millionaire?
And here you further prove my point that you seem to not have a very good understanding of the definition of the word official.

BTW
When did I even imply that I think, believe or even subscribe to the asinine notion that nothing is real unless written down on a Government document?

kai

ragamuffin
people are entitled to come on and have an opinion, perhaps some people believe America has evolved into a Christian nation ,like its evolved to be English speaking unless you are of the opinion that you speak American,(i have heard it said by Americans)
Perhaps its perceived by the entire world as Christian nation,
It doesn't make it one officially, but its a talking point thats why new people post here.and its a long time ago the country was founded. Has it evolved into anything and would the founding fathers recognise it as their nation as they intended it to be?

Last edited:

a_student

I betcha that you can't demand it in orange, either. What does that tell you about the official nature of the colour of your drivers licence?

What about the fact that you can't demand that your licence be imprinted on a perfect sphere? Does "flat" hold some official status with your government?

Good point.

By that version of "common sense", the capital of Canada is Toronto. ;)

Not so sure about this one. Capital doesn't mean "has the most people" or whatever you were trying to imply here. BTW I love Toronto and think it should be the capital of the world. And what are you doing in this thread anyway you're not American! (I'm so sorry but I had to say it)

a_student

Interesting that you do not know the difference.
Not surprising, but interesting none the less.

Now you're insulting me and I don't see the purpose in that.

Not only did you not address the fact that you seem to have a hard time distinguishing between most common and official, you seem to want to declare that the most common IS official.

First look up the definition of official. Secondly, read what I typed. Lastly, get a clue.

And here you further prove my point that you seem to not have a very good understanding of the definition of the word official.

Give your definition. I gave mine from the dictionary. You are arguing but not really saying anything. Make a point. Back it up with facts.

BTW
When did I even imply that I think, believe or even subscribe to the asinine notion that nothing is real unless written down on a Government document?

Apparently things need to be written down to be official. English is taught to foreign children in school when they first arrive to this country. Why? English became the (insert your word here) language when Americans made it mandatory for foreign children to learn it.

By the way, I live in Tallahassee, FL. Today the high was 97 degrees Fahrenheit. I would say it was officially hot today. But I'm sure you would beg to differ.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Now you're insulting me and I don't see the purpose in that.
Insulting you?
How have I insulted you?
Seems to me that you are now grasping at straws.

First look up the definition of official. Secondly, read what I typed. Lastly, get a clue.
Firstly, I did look it up:
of·fi·cial (
schwa.gif
-f
ibreve.gif
sh
prime.gif
schwa.gif
l)adj.
1. Of or relating to an office or a post of authority: official duties.
2. Authorized by a proper authority; authoritative: official permission.
3. Holding office or serving in a public capacity: an official representative.
4. Characteristic of or befitting a person of authority; formal: an official banquet.
5. Authorized by or contained in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia or National Formulary. Used of drugs.

Secondly, i did read what you wrote and nothing you wrote fits into the definition of official.

Third, you whine about insults, then attempt one in the very post you whine about them.
Funny that.

Give your definition. I gave mine from the dictionary. You are arguing but not really saying anything. Make a point. Back it up with facts.
See above.
I am saying that your belief that 'most common' equates 'official' is wrong.
See the above given definition of 'official'

Apparently things need to be written down to be official. English is taught to foreign children in school when they first arrive to this country. Why? English became the (insert your word here) language when Americans made it mandatory for foreign children to learn it.
Why?
Because the most common language spoken is English.
No real mystery there.

Now 'mandatory' equates 'official?'

By the way, I live in Tallahassee, FL. Today the high was 97 degrees Fahrenheit. I would say it was officially hot today. But I'm sure you would beg to differ.
thank you for yet another example that you do not understand the definition of 'official.'

Popeyesays

One can request, however to have the written test be in Spanish, French, Vietnamese, Thai, German, Russian or even . . . . . yes, Greek. And even demand a translator during the driving portion of the test.
Regards,
Scott

a_student

Third, you whine about insults, then attempt one in the very post you whine about them.

Who did I insult? If you're referring to my Canadian remark I'm sorry to inform you that I am from Buffalo, NY. I have walked across the Canadian border so many times that you could practically call me half Canadian. I feel I have a right to make that joke. No harm done.

I wish I could call your argument weak but you really haven't made one. You just disagree with everything I say but have yet to say anything for me to disagree with. You have not made 1 single point. How can you argue with me that English is not the official language in the United States when I was the one who pointed that out in the first place?

Popeyesays

I was born in Buffalo as well. Back in the summer of 1947. I joke that if I'd been born any more of a Yankee I'd be a Canuck.

To analyze your argument you say the U.S. has no offical language, but it has one REALLY by tradition.

The purpose of a written constitution is to keep tradition at arm's length.

Regards,
Scott

a_student

I was born in Buffalo as well. Back in the summer of 1947. I joke that if I'd been born any more of a Yankee I'd be a Canuck.

To analyze your argument you say the U.S. has no offical language, but it has one REALLY by tradition.

The purpose of a written constitution is to keep tradition at arm's length.

Regards,
Scott

Hey Buffalo is representing! I like the point you made. That's what I've been saying all along. In regards to Christianity, I brought up the point that English is not the official language by any written document but it is implied. Mestemia says it must be documented to be official. Guess what, it was documented. The day the Constitution was written in it.