• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Universe Always Was Existing

shawn001

Nova Fabric of the Cosmos

The Illusion of Time

"Time. We waste it, save it, kill it, make it. The world runs on it. Yet ask physicists what time actually is, and the answer might shock you: They have no idea. Even more surprising, the deep sense we have of time passing from present to past may be nothing more than an illusion. How can our understanding of something so familiar be so wrong? In search of answers, Brian Greene takes us on the ultimate time-traveling adventure, hurtling 50 years into the future before stepping into a wormhole to travel back to the past. Along the way, he will reveal a new way of thinking about time in which moments past, present, and future—from the reign of T. rex to the birth of your great-great-grandchildren—exist all at once. This journey will bring us all the way back to the Big Bang, where physicists think the ultimate secrets of time may be hidden. You'll never look at your wristwatch the same way again."

[youtube]yqzgYRBlslw[/youtube]
2. The Illusion of Time - YouTube

The Fabric of the Cosmos 1 - What is Space

""The Fabric of the Cosmos," a four-hour series based on the book by renowned physicist and author Brian Greene, takes us to the frontiers of physics to see how scientists are piecing together the most complete picture yet of space, time, and the universe. With each step, audiences will discover that just beneath the surface of our everyday experience lies a world we'd hardly recognize—a startling world far stranger and more wondrous than anyone expected.

Brian Greene is going to let you in on a secret: We've all been deceived. Our perceptions of time and space have led us astray. Much of what we thought we knew about our universe—that the past has already happened and the future is yet to be, that space is just an empty void, that our universe is the only universe that exists—just might be wrong.

Interweaving provocative theories, experiments, and stories with crystal-clear explanations and imaginative metaphors like those that defined the groundbreaking and highly acclaimed series "The Elegant Universe," "The Fabric of the Cosmos" aims to be the most compelling, visual, and comprehensive picture of modern physics ever seen on television."

[youtube]I8xJJYjOH3k[/youtube]
The Fabric of the Cosmos 1 - What is Space - YouTube

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
First you don't know my thoughts on time or spacetime.

I will asked again

"So Edward Hubble didn't discover the expansion of the universe in the late 1920'2?"

You CAN"T have a static universe.

And I will answer again, Hubble discovered that the distance between galaxies gets bigger as time passes.

Now, your previous post seems to indicate that time is an illusion. Which translates into: the distance between galaxies gets bigger as an illusion passes.

My point, really ;)

On top of that. You say I cannot have a static universe. You might maybe explain how we know that a universe is (not) static if time is an illusion.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
he will reveal a new way of thinking about time in which moments past, present, and future—from the reign of T. rex to the birth of your great-great-grandchildren—exist all at once.

Shawn,

Isn't that what I was saying in previous posts?

If all things exist all at once, including how the Universe will look to us in 1000 years, how can you talk of change?

Ciao

- viole

shawn001

Shawn,

Isn't that what I was saying in previous posts?

If all things exist all at once, including how the Universe will look to us in 1000 years, how can you talk of change?

Ciao

- viole

The universe doesn't look like it did 13.8 billion years ago. We can see baby galaxies and we can see how from the CMB these Galaxies evolved, we can go back to when there were no galaxies, to the first star formations.

Nor will it look like it does 1000 years from now basically. Some stars we say today have actually gone out, but we can still see the light from them.

However you are always looking back in time.

Galaxies are being dragged with them in space. They are not actually moving through space themselves. We can see them collide.

There is redshift and blueshift.

The amount of helium in the universe is evidence.

The CMB is MAJOR evidence.

I can talk of change because we know for a fact the universe evolved and is still evolving.

What your talking about is QM theory and how that ties into cosmology. They are working hard on it. That is a major goal. I am not going into the complexities of that at the moment. It may have something to do with an event horizon around the entire universe that has all the information of the universe past present and future within it. This is part of the holographic universe theories.

However, back in 2003 now and we have a newer satellite taking better data.

NASA RELEASES STUNNING IMAGES OF OUR INFANT UNIVERSE

NASA today released the best "baby picture" of the Universe ever taken; the image contains such stunning detail that it may be one of the most important scientific results of recent years.

"The light we see today, as the cosmic microwave background, has traveled over 13 billion years to reach us. Within this light are infinitesimal patterns that mark the seeds of what later grew into clusters of galaxies and the vast structure we see all around us.

"One of the biggest surprises revealed in the data is the first generation of stars to shine in the universe first ignited only 200 million years after the big bang, much earlier than many scientists had expected."

Patterns in the big bang afterglow were frozen in place only 380,000 years after the big bang, a number nailed down by this latest observation. These patterns are tiny temperature differences within this extraordinarily evenly dispersed microwave light bathing the universe, which now averages a frigid 2.73 degrees above absolute zero temperature. WMAP resolves slight temperature fluctuations, which vary by only millionths of a degree."

WMAP 1 Year Mission Results Press Release

shawn001

You mentioned my avatar, it clearly shows the universe changing and evolving. You also have to remember that is a two dimensional image.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You mentioned my avatar, it clearly shows the universe changing and evolving. You also have to remember that is a two dimensional image.

So, time is external to it? Time just flows outside and the universe evolves as time goes by?

Is that your view?

And again, if our past, present and future are all existing as we speak, what change are you talking about? What does change, exactly?

Ciao

- viole

shawn001

So, time is external to it? Time just flows outside and the universe evolves as time goes by?

Is that your view?

And again, if our past, present and future are all existing as we speak, what change are you talking about? What does change, exactly?

Ciao

- viole

Your missing so much its a BIG problem.

Has our solar system always existed?

How long does it take the light from Andromeda to reach us? Or the sun for that matter.

The Arrow of Time: Frequently Asked Questions

This is a collection of questions about time, entropy, the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and cosmology. It is based on this blog post, and associated with the upcoming book From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time, by Sean Carroll.

Arrow of Time FAQ

"What does change, exactly"

For one Entropy.

We can clearly observe this from the CMB to now.

In fact its now believed with all of the current observation the universe will end in the Big freeze. Reaching maximum entropy.

Another point here is every heavy element in your body, carbon, oxygen, calcium, gold, ect.. was created billions of years ago in super nova explosions that created the material that later became the solar system and ALL life on the planet.

"Time is absolutely required to describe events in our world, you cannot accurately describe an event with space alone, events occur in space AND time. The 2 are actually inseparable, Space-time we call it, Because they are inherently related"

You have heard of the fabric of space?

New Discovery about the Fabric of Space-Time

[youtube]nByekIx7XXw[/youtube]
New Discovery about the Fabric of Space-Time - YouTube

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Your missing so much its a BIG problem.

Has our solar system always existed?

How long does it take the light from Andromeda to reach us? Or the sun for that matter.

The Arrow of Time: Frequently Asked Questions

This is a collection of questions about time, entropy, the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and cosmology. It is based on this blog post, and associated with the upcoming book From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time, by Sean Carroll.

"What does change, exactly"

For one Entropy.

We can clearly observe this from the CMB to now.

In fact its now believed with all of the current observation the universe will end in the Big freeze. Reaching maximum entropy.

Another point here is every heavy element in your body, carbon, oxygen, calcium, gold, ect.. was created billions of years ago in super nova explosions that created the material that later became the solar system and ALL life on the planet.

"Time is absolutely required to describe events in our world, you cannot accurately describe an event with space alone, events occur in space AND time. The 2 are actually inseparable, Space-time we call it, Because they are inherently related"

You have heard of the fabric of space?

New Discovery about the Fabric of Space-Time

Yes, everything i am saying is there. In the work of S. Carroll and in the video you posted about the illusion of time.

I think it is self evident that if time is an illusion and what lies in our past and future is laid down in its entirety and exists at once, then it is meaningless to talk of changes. What is changing exactly if the results of the alleged change are already in place?

The loaf of bread analogy in the "illusion of time" video you posted is the one to keep in mind. That loaf of bread is spacetime. It can give different sets of events, depending how you slice it, but itself is eternal. It does not move, it does not change its form, it simply is.

If you slice it in regions that lie in our future, its slices might have bigger spacial extension or bigger entropy. But this is valid only for the slices, not for the whole thing.

Things can change within spacetime, that is what time is for. But how can spacetime itself change if there are no external clocks measuring its alleged evolution?

I think you need to shrug off the outdated absolute view of time as an external stage in which things happen. It was OK for Newton, it is not for Einstein, I am afraid.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Things can change within spacetime, that is what time is for. But how can spacetime itself change if there are no external clocks measuring its alleged evolution?
That is a very good question. The way I figure is that being outside of time would make spacetime happen instantaneously or in super fastforward however I don't think this would mean we can go backwards. If time were an illusion we would be able to go back to the past. Still I get the feeling it can be undone since we can see a star that has long since passed on. The past could be like that viewable from other perspectives, but that view ability is an illusion.

shawn001

Yes, everything i am saying is there. In the work of S. Carroll and in the video you posted about the illusion of time.

I think it is self evident that if time is an illusion and what lies in our past and future is laid down in its entirety and exists at once, then it is meaningless to talk of changes. What is changing exactly if the results of the alleged change are already in place?

The loaf of bread analogy in the "illusion of time" video you posted is the one to keep in mind. That loaf of bread is spacetime. It can give different sets of events, depending how you slice it, but itself is eternal. It does not move, it does not change its form, it simply is.

If you slice it in regions that lie in our future, its slices might have bigger spacial extension or bigger entropy. But this is valid only for the slices, not for the whole thing.

I think you need to shrug off the outdated absolute view of time as an external stage in which things happen. It was OK for Newton, it is not for Einstein, I am afraid.

Ciao

- viole

I know exactly where you want to go with your posts. I do understand more then you may think I know, actually quite a bit more, but there is a difference between , time and and our observable universe, or parallel or DIMENSION universes going on at the same time.

We you ever a baby? Will you get old and die?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I know exactly where you want to go with your posts. I do understand more then you may think I know, actually quite a bit more, but there is a difference between , time and and our observable universe, or parallel or DIMENSION universes going on at the same time.

We you ever a baby? Will you get old and die?

Nope. i am a baby, and I am young, old and dead. Things like my birth and death are very well defined events located in a certain region of spacetime, and they both exist as we speak.

The video you posted shows how my death can belong to the present of another observer who moves towards me. In the same way, my birth belongs to the present of another observer (moving much slower away from me, lol). So, for both of them, my birth and death are respectively "now".

There is no "was" or "will be" in the 4-dimensional surface that describes our Universe. It cannot really be otherwise if we see things from the geometric perspective of Einstein. A perspective that includes the whole of spacetime as a physical entity.

This is the meaning of "past, present anf future" exist at once in spacetime, as the video you posted showed.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is a very good question. The way I figure is that being outside of time would make spacetime happen instantaneously or in super fastforward however I don't think this would mean we can go backwards. If time were an illusion we would be able to go back to the past. Still I get the feeling it can be undone since we can see a star that has long since passed on. The past could be like that viewable from other perspectives, but that view ability is an illusion.

There is no fast forward or instantaneosly. Both concepts require a time dimension which is not available outside spacetime.

It is not proven yet whether travelling in the past is impossible. But even if it was, that does not mean that the past does not exist, anymore. It simply means that we are not in a possible causal relationship with those spacetime regions.

I cannot possibly influence events on Andromeda galaxy NOW. That does not mean that Andromeda does not exist NOW.

Ciao

- viole

idav

Being
Premium Member
There is no fast forward or instantaneosly. Both concepts require a time dimension which is not available outside spacetime.
As space-time is bent due to a black hole or speed of light, they say that as we approach, the universe around would appear to speed up as you approach a sort of timelessness. Although they say it is impossible to actually reach the speed of light but the point still holds. Outside space-time there is still a relation to space-time, outside vs inside. Now we don't really know what would happen if we could actually reach that point but the thought experiment should hold, we don't know if being timeless allows us to go backward but as an observer from the outside the universe unfold very quickly while in space-time it would appear to be a stand still on the outside, as the thought experiments go if we were to observe something approaching an event horizon. The perspective is completely different outside space-time as if eternal.

shawn001

This is live now but almost over, but they will probably archive it.

World Science U: Live Discussion with Bria...
Science Event · Less event details
Date
Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:00pm EDT — Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:00pm EDT
About
Have a question about space, time, and energy? Submit your questions in the comment section by scrolling down the Livestream window. World Science U believes that digital education should be more than a new delivery vehicle for traditional instruction. Our initial offerings, taught by Brian Greene, Professor of Physics and Mathematics at Columbia University, are a step in that direction. In the coming months, we will announce additional instructors and courses."

World Science U's first live discussion with Brian Greene. Check it out on 4/1 at 1:00 pm (EDT) | Live with Professor Brian Greene