• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is not enough erosion of the continents for them to be many 10s of millions of years old.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Supporting argument that there is not enough erosion of the continents for them to be many 10s of millions of years old...

Here's an additional link that shows this as well.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This has to be the strangest claim ever. Do you realise why continents are there at all? Because they are made of the lightest rocks and literally float over the heavier oceanic rocks like cork over water. Erosion only shifts continental material from one part of the continent to another, but the size of a continent is entirely unaffected by erosion. So rate of erosion has no bearing on how large or small a continental landmass will become.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's funny how glacial outwash is conveniently omitted in their creationist conclusions.

Especially when addressing paleoforms

Remember, A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

SavedByTheLord

This has to be the strangest claim ever. Do you realise why continents are there at all? Because they are made of the lightest rocks and literally float over the heavier oceanic rocks like cork over water. Erosion only shifts continental material from one part of the continent to another, but the size of a continent is entirely unaffected by erosion. So rate of erosion has no bearing on how large or small a continental landmass will become.
But those rocks erode end up in the oceans. They do not float back onto the continents.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But those rocks erode end up in the oceans. They do not float back onto the continents.
Have you seen deltas? Eroded continental material remain with the continental crust only. They accumulate at the edge of the continental shelf and create new land that eventually rise out of the oceans as deltas. Overtime these deltas grow outwards and the older deltas merge seamless into dry land.
Any sediment going into the sea floor and subducting with it eventually again comes back out in the form of marine volcanic eruptions that create islands like Hawai.
Physics is simple. Lighter minerals and rocks must float above heavy ones.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

SavedByTheLord

I suggest you go outside occasionally and have a look around
Erosion happens all over the world all the time.
And Most of it will end up in the oceans.
That would mean there should be lots of salt and sediments in the oceans and eroded continents.
But all 3 of these have not happened enough for many 10s of millions of years to be true let only billions of yeras.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That would mean there should be lots of salt and sediments in the oceans and eroded continents.
But all 3 of these have not happened enough for many 10s of millions of years to be true let only billions of yeras.

While you're outside take a drive to the ocean and taste the water. Better still taste some reality.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It's almost like you have no clue about andy and all geological processes.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This has to be the strangest claim ever.
I hope not. It's been my experience that the number of posts to be expected in any "Evolution vs Creationism" thread tends to be directly proportional to strangeness of the opening post. Prepare for a tediously long interchange. :(

AdamjEdgar

It'd be cool if anything you ever posted were true.
So you believe that the salinity of our oceans ISN'T increasing?

You have heard of climate change right and that one of the factors involved in climate change is an increase in both land and ocean salinity levels at a rate faster than the earths natural processes balance it out?

We find that saltier oceans yield warmer climates in large part due to changes in ocean dynamics. Increasing ocean salinity from 20 to 50 g/kg results in a 71% reduction in sea ice cover in our present‐day Earth scenario.
Sodium (Na+) and chlorine (Cl−) are the primary ions contributing to ocean salinity today. The residence times of Na+ and Cl− ions in the ocean are 80 and 98 Myr, respectively (Emerson & Hedges, 2008), much shorter than the age of the Earth.
Ocean salinity has a few additional effects on climate via atmospheric energy balance that are not quantified here. For example, increasing salinity decreases gas solubility and, all else equal, higher salinity should tend to increase greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere and surface temperatures. The Effect of Ocean Salinity on Climate and Its Implications for Earth's Habitability
So the next time you hear on the news that global sea ice levels are dropping, remember this thread!
(btw, i have turned the focus to salinity in oceans because Subduction added a link about ocean salinity levels apparently supporting his view on this!)
Now it appears from my research that the "residence time" for NaCl is only 68 million years...much younger than the earth according to naturalism. So that in my books tells me that there is most definately a problem...why? Well it just very well might be either...
1. the earth isnt 4.54 billion years old and/or
2. prior to the flood, salinity levels in the oceans were significantly different to they are today
-the thought has crossed my mind at times that perhaps there was no salt in the oceans before the flood and its only became necessary due to the introduction of sin into this world and that after the flood this was one of the big changes in the environment? (not something i have a belief about, but i have wondered)

Last edited:

Pogo

So you believe that the salinity of our oceans ISN'T increasing?

You have heard of climate change right and that one of the factors involved in climate change is an increase in both land and ocean salinity levels at a rate faster than the earths natural processes balance it out?

We find that saltier oceans yield warmer climates in large part due to changes in ocean dynamics. Increasing ocean salinity from 20 to 50 g/kg results in a 71% reduction in sea ice cover in our present‐day Earth scenario.
Sodium (Na+) and chlorine (Cl−) are the primary ions contributing to ocean salinity today. The residence times of Na+ and Cl− ions in the ocean are 80 and 98 Myr, respectively (Emerson & Hedges, 2008), much shorter than the age of the Earth.
Ocean salinity has a few additional effects on climate via atmospheric energy balance that are not quantified here. For example, increasing salinity decreases gas solubility and, all else equal, higher salinity should tend to increase greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere and surface temperatures. The Effect of Ocean Salinity on Climate and Its Implications for Earth's Habitability
So the next time you hear on the news that global sea ice levels are dropping, remember this thread!
(btw, i have turned the focus to salinity in oceans because Subduction added a link about ocean salinity levels apparently supporting his view on this!)
Now it appears from my research that the "residence time" for NaCl is only 68 million years...much younger than the earth according to naturalism. So that in my books tells me that there is most definately a problem...why? Well it just very well might be either...
1. the earth isnt 4.54 billion years old and/or
2. prior to the flood, salinity levels in the oceans were significantly different to they are today
-the thought has crossed my mind at times that perhaps there was no salt in the oceans before the flood and its only became necessary due to the introduction of sin into this world and that after the flood this was one of the big changes in the environment? (not something i have a belief about, but i have wondered)
Ok, so I read your links and the first one is about the oceans billions of years ago and discussion of the climate at the time. It has nothing to do with current ocean salinity.The second one is your argument that if the ocean started with zero salt the residence time would set an upper limit to the age.
This is silly for several reasons, first residence time which is what you are calculating is the average time a salt molecule resides in the ocean, not a calculation of how long it has been accumulating. For example by your logic If we use the residence time of water vapor.

"The time water spends in the atmosphere, or WVRT, is a fundamental diagnostic of the climate system. WVRT varies widely, ranging from less than 2 days over the subtropical oceans to more than 10 days at high latitudes, reflecting regional differences in precipitation-generating mechanisms.Jul 13, 2021"The residence time of water vapour in the atmosphere - Nature Reviews Earth & Environment

The residence time of water vapour in the atmosphere - Nature

So the tropics can't be more than 2 days old and the arctic is older but less than 10 days old.

Also residence time in college is about 4 years for most, does that mean college students are less than 4 years old.

This is an old and long debunked argument that in no way indicates any questions about the age of the earth.

AdamjEdgar

Ok, so I read your links and the first one is about the oceans billions of years ago and discussion of the climate at the time. It has nothing to do with current ocean salinity.The second one is your argument that if the ocean started with zero salt the residence time would set an upper limit to the age.
The research study reference I provided is not a YEC reference...its a secular one!

You need to actually read its conclusions instead of running off on an irrelevant tangent.

Note the URL The Effect of Ocean Salinity on Climate and Its Implications for Earth's Habitability

Second,I did not say we started with zero salinity...I said it could explain the dilemma faced regarding time of only 68million years when earth is claimed to be 4.54 billion years old.

Last edited: