• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I Learned on RF Today

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It's almost over but it's been ok up to now. Good fun don't ya think?
chop-black.gif

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Which one is you?
There is a quote/story from a book, I would be surprised if you ever read it, but it is from Zen in the martial arts by Joe Hyams.... basically it is about letting other waste your time.....

From the book - Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams

Chapter Title “Do Not Disturb”

"This is from a conversation between Joe Hyams, Sterling Silliphant and Bruce Lee

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.

“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have, “agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, ‘Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project? Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?’ If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don’t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.

When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

Not angry, not even upset, just bored with the little games you like to play every now and then......so.....you shall waste no more of mine today....TTFN

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is a quote/story from a book, I would be surprised if you ever read it, but it is from Zen in the martial arts by Joe Hyams.... basically it is about letting other waste your time.....

From the book - Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams

Chapter Title “Do Not Disturb”

"This is from a conversation between Joe Hyams, Sterling Silliphant and Bruce Lee

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.

“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have, “agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, ‘Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project? Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?’ If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don’t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.

When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

Not angry, not even upset, just bored with the little games you like to play every now and then......so.....you shall waste no more of mine today....TTFN

TLDR

But it's interesting that you start a silliness then cop out when it backfires.

Just saying

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I don't care what it means.

I guess that makes me an apapatheist.

But yes, you are correct.
Is my communication that difficult to be understood? I was trying to say what a great thing that people could live rightly without thought of gods, one way or another. Am I still coming across incorrect to the meaning?

One of my reasons for being here on RF is to exercise against age related cognitive impairment, so tell it to me straight. :grimacing:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Bears don't like it when their prey bites back

Nor do cats. One of ours came home the other day with a lacerated throat, bloody scratch and bite marks. One can only assume her prey fought back and probably won, because she didn't bring it home to present her prize to us..?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Is my communication that difficult to be understood?
I never thought so.

I was trying to say what a great thing that people could live rightly without thought of gods, one way or another. Am I still coming across incorrect to the meaning?
Not if that's what you were meaning. But regarding the meaning behind the term 'apatheism,' how one lives without thought of gods adds layers to what the definition is. Apatheism is simple a theistic position which really has no association with conduct, morals, or ethics. It's merely a lack of interest or concern about whether or not gods exist.

One of my reasons for being here on RF is to exercise against age related cognitive impairment, so tell it to me straight. :grimacing:
If that's the case, you may be soliciting the wrong person's opinion. :p