• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This thread is not about evolution.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It's about "creation science." By this I don't mean the general idea that God created all things, which is religion, not science, but about the specifics of how "creationists" believe this happened. This thread is to give you an opportunity to demonstrate your hypothesis. Here's all you need to do--this is basically how science works:

1. State your hypothesis. That is, in your view, how did God go about creating the various species we see today.
2. Make some predictions based on your hypothesis. If this hypothesis is correct, what would we expect to observe? These observations should be such that if we don't observe them, your hypothesis would be disproved. In other words, your hypothesis should be falsifiable.
3. Show that the predictions match reality.

Big_TJ

It's about "creation science." By this I don't mean the general idea that God created all things, which is religion, not science, but about the specifics of how "creationists" believe this happened. This thread is to give you an opportunity to demonstrate your hypothesis. Here's all you need to do--this is basically how science works:

1. State your hypothesis. That is, in your view, how did God go about creating the various species we see today.
2. Make some predictions based on your hypothesis. If this hypothesis is correct, what would we expect to observe? These observations should be such that if we don't observe them, your hypothesis would be disproved. In other words, your hypothesis should be falsifiable.

Are you playing God here? How do you expect to get something out of nothing? There is no way creationist can give you something that they DO NOT have (eg. a hypothesis).

Michael Hawley

Hi Autodidact,

I like your thoughts, but I see a small problem using the scientific process. The scientific process requires causality, and creationism is not bound by this. Can we manipulate the rules slightly to keep this idea going?

Mike

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The scientific process requires causality, and creationism is not bound by this.

How, exactly, does that work? Isn't God described as the "first Cause", and therefore, from the creationist standpoint, doesn't creationism by its very definition require causality?

Besides, where in that outlined process is causality even mentioned, so where did you get the idea that it does?

dallas1125

Covert Operative
By creationists, do you meand those who believe god created the earth? Or those who believe in the literal bible story?

Noaidi

slow walker
Hi Autodidact,

I like your thoughts, but I see a small problem using the scientific process. The scientific process requires causality, and creationism is not bound by this. Can we manipulate the rules slightly to keep this idea going?

Mike

If we manipulate the rules, would it still be a verifiable and reliable science? To be regarded as a science, it would have to follow scientific procedure. What manipulations were you thinking of?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
By creationists, do you meand those who believe god created the earth? Or those who believe in the literal bible story?
Review the OP. I mean those who assert they have a scientific hypothesis for the variety of species on earth, which is different from the Theory of Evolution (ToE), and which they believe conforms to the Biblical story.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

If it didn't happen in the other thread so there's no reason why it will happen here, but let's see how deep the rabbit hole gets....

Last edited:

RedOne77

Are you playing God here? How do you expect to get something out of nothing? There is no way creationist can give you something that they DO NOT have (eg. a hypothesis).

I think that's the point of this thread. To show, once again, that "creation science" is not actually science. I myself think that very few creationists have the gall to put creationism in the scientific box despite they routinely use phrases like "true science" and "creation science" and go on and on on how evolution isn't real science. Of course, if they ever decided to put creationism in the scientific arena, and they actually understood it, they would find out quickly that creationism is not science and is not supported by the scientific evidence. Either that or they'll conclude that science is a gigantic waste of time as it does not deal with reality, AKA the fundamentalist interpretation of ancient texts and their infallibility.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
Hi Autodidact,

Mike

The scientific process requires no such thing. Causality was scientifically disproven by Werner Heisenberg.

Michael Hawley

How, exactly, does that work? Isn't God described as the "first Cause", and therefore, from the creationist standpoint, doesn't creationism by its very definition require causality?

Besides, where in that outlined process is causality even mentioned, so where did you get the idea that it does?

By causality, I mean cause and effect. For every effect there must be a cause. Nature is governed by it, such as fossils are the result of natural explanations. "Super"-nature is not, such as miracles. The miracle just might be supernatural, but it has affected something in nature. If, for example, angels pulled someone out of a burning car and suddenly it exploded. How this person got out of the car cannot be exlpained naturally. There was no natural cause for this natural effect. This is what I was getting at.

Because of this, we cannot look for natural effects to prove the supernatural, thus, the scientific process (collecting natural effects such as fossils in order to discover the cause) cannot be used to credit or discredit creationism.

By the way, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle falls into causality.

Sincerely,

Mike

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
By causality, I mean cause and effect. For every effect there must be a cause.

Not really. Even in everyday situations, most effects are in fact a result of several simultaneous causes, which may be loosely related to each other, if at all.

We human beings are biased towards seeking relationships of cause and effect, and simple ones at that. Nature has no duty to fulfill such expectations.

Nature is governed by it, such as fossils are the result of natural explanations. "Super"-nature is not, such as miracles. The miracle just might be supernatural, but it has affected something in nature. If, for example, angels pulled someone out of a burning car and suddenly it exploded. How this person got out of the car cannot be exlpained naturally. There was no natural cause for this natural effect. This is what I was getting at.

Unfortunately, that amounts to choosing to assume a supernatural (and therefore untestable) effect just because no natural cause has been found.

That is always risky, since one can never know if there aren't causes that he simply isn't aware of. Ultimately miracles and other supernatural explanations are reliant on the desire to believe in them, and may therefore be freely disbelieved.

Because of this, we cannot look for natural effects to prove the supernatural, thus, the scientific process (collecting natural effects such as fossils in order to discover the cause) cannot be used to credit or discredit creationism.

Except that while you are attempting to present that as a limitation of the scientific method, it is actually a shortcoming of supernatural explanations, including creationism. They are inherently placeholders that don't really explain anything and have no power to impose themselves over actual explanations, such as the ToE.

PennyKay

Physicist
Just to add, in regard to quantum physics in particular, Quantum mechanics has abandoned the idea of deterministic causation between events, but it certainly has not abandoned causation. Instead it makes use of a kind of probabilistic causation.

Big_TJ

Except that while you are attempting to present that as a limitation of the scientific method, it is actually a shortcoming of supernatural explanations, including creationism. They are inherently placeholders that don't really explain anything and have no power to impose themselves over actual explanations, such as the ToE.

Yeah, its essentially the "God of the Gap" theory. God of the gaps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
By causality, I mean cause and effect. For every effect there must be a cause. Nature is governed by it, such as fossils are the result of natural explanations. "Super"-nature is not, such as miracles. The miracle just might be supernatural, but it has affected something in nature. If, for example, angels pulled someone out of a burning car and suddenly it exploded. How this person got out of the car cannot be exlpained naturally. There was no natural cause for this natural effect. This is what I was getting at.

But we can look for natural effects to prove that what was originally seen as supernatural turned out to be perfectly natural.

I'm of the opinion that the supernatural doesn't exist: if something exists, be it dualist God, ghosts, angels, whatever, they are natural, and therefore possible to be studied scientifically, even if we currently lack the knowledge and tools to do so.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Oh goodie! I hope somebody uses the word macroevolution™! I just love it when people use big scientific words to describe their understanding of how the world works!!!!!

I'm so excited.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
crickets.jpg