• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To kill or not to kill

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Your in your home, Alone, asleep. You have a gun, loaded, in your dresser. You hear a noise in your house. Someone rummaging through your home. You have a choice. Confront the burgler, possibly having to shoot him. Or climb out your window and flee. What choice would you make?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jgallandt said:
Your in your home, Alone, asleep. You have a gun, loaded, in your dresser. You hear a noise in your house. Someone rummaging through your home. You have a choice. Confront the burgler, possibly having to shoot him. Or climb out your window and flee. What choice would you make?

I'd try to get my wife and children out of the house, but I'd stay to deal the the burglar. If no wife and kids and I'm by myself in a crappy apartment... I'd flee.
It depends.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jgallandt said:
If I had family with me in the house, I would stay and if needed kill the burglar, but as you said, alone, I would leave, no possesion in my eyes is worth getting killed for/killing someone for. I would leave and call the cops from somewhere else.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If it's just me, I'd run. Nothing in my house worth risking death over. If I had family in there, I'd get them out, then run.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I'd confront him with or without wife and kids in my house. Having a felony on my record, I'm not allowed to own a gun. (Because I got behind on my child support, I can not own a gun, not that I would with 3 wild kids, but it's not the point. Go figure.) But I keep a baseball bat near by.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
First off , it is ilegal , and unsafe to have a loaded gun in stored in your house , in this country . But even if I had one , I would leave it where it was , and confront whoever was in my house . Hopefully , I know my house better then they do . :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Alone, or with someone, I would confront the person. And if by some fluke I don't kill with the first shot, under our very odd system, I would have to shoot again to kill so I don't get sued by the guy who tried to take my stuff.

robtex

Veteran Member
I live in a big house with my brother and gf and buddy (the dog) are there so I would go for confrontation first. I don't own guns either but I have a sword and lots of knives cause of martial arts. The house is very dark at night and I move around it all the time in the dark cause I am use to where stuff is.

If the house were empty I would still be apt to confront him because I can't crawl out the window due to a screen and, I realize that I might be in danger trying to sneak out by going downstairs towards the door.

I would, if I thought it was an intruder, (we live out in the middle of nowhere) be more apt to severly injure first and ask questions later. The reality of my living situation though, is that it is very safe out here in a city with a really really low violent crime rate ( 26 homicides so far this year).

QTpi

Mischevious One
I would like to think I would leave and call the police on my cell phone, but I really don't know. Twice before I was in a situation where my safety was threatened, but I didn't get scared, I got very angry. :mad: The first time some guy tried to steal my purse and thought he was going to have an easy time of it. He was very happy to see the police when they got there. The second time was when a guy started to get in my car with me. I could have gone out the other door, but I didn't. I warned him to get out, swung myself around sideways and was about to kick him flying across the parking lot when he decided to change his mind. I think about it afterwards and cannot understand why I didn't just leave. I get scared thinking about what could have happened, :eek: but that isn't how I responded at the time. I guess we really don't know how we will react until we are in that situation.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Actually I'd quietly call the cops first, then bang around on my way downstairs to make sure they knew I was on to them.

Most of the time they will take the chance to run (hopefully into the cops on their way), it takes a specal kind of wacko to want to kill someone. Eaven if I had the gun I'm not sure I'm that sort of wacko.

Statistically speaking the home owner with the gun is much more likely to get killed than the criminal with the gun. The criminal simply has the mind-set to use it first, the homeowner is often a very moral person who doesn't really want to kill... so they hesitate. And thus they die.

I would likely hesitate.

wa:do

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Kill or be killed, they are dead.

Me and another person on a desserted island without food, i'm eating.

In the end survival is no sin in my book, of course if there is another option that is a different story.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
NetDoc said:
9-1-1

I worked hard to memorize this number and I don't want it to go to waste.
Good option for some, but for us, and of course we'd call, it might take 30 minutes for a county cop to show up.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
QTpi said:
I would like to think I would leave and call the police on my cell phone, but I really don't know. Twice before I was in a situation where my safety was threatened, but I didn't get scared, I got very angry. :mad: The first time some guy tried to steal my purse and thought he was going to have an easy time of it. He was very happy to see the police when they got there. The second time was when a guy started to get in my car with me. I could have gone out the other door, but I didn't. I warned him to get out, swung myself around sideways and was about to kick him flying across the parking lot when he decided to change his mind. I think about it afterwards and cannot understand why I didn't just leave. I get scared thinking about what could have happened, :eek: but that isn't how I responded at the time. I guess we really don't know how we will react until we are in that situation.
I agree with your every word, QTpi; firstly, no one knows how they will react to any given situation until they are confronted by it. Somehow shock has a surprise of dealing with our reactions in different ways from the way we might think we would react.

I don't have a gun (it is illegal to own one in England in most circumstances - especially in such circumstances as self-defence)

My plan (in the hopefully inlikely circumstances of us being burgled whilst in the house) is for every one to lock their bedroom dor, and ho shove a chair under the handle; if this happens when it is only my wife and I, we have a fire exit from our bathroom (get out throufgh a window, walk on a part of the roof that juts down below (top of integral garage), and then jump the eight feet onto the lawn, with a mobile, to call the emergency services. I also keep a pair of crutches in my room, which are reasonaly nasty looking weapons, and (coincidentally) my Father's ceremonial Army sword (which looks sharp, and does have a very pointed end). Somehow, I cant see myself wielding that. I also have a hatchet (made of brass with an extremely sharp blade) which my Mum used to 'baptise' a ship. When you think that the blade had to be sharp enough to go through a rope 1.5 inches thick..............(I will add picture of those two for fun when I have photographed them)

I can't honestly see that happening though; lock the door, jamb it, and run, with a cell phone.................:biglaugh:

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Link working now. I agree, you don't know how you will react. I know the 1st time I had a gun pulled on me, the barrel looked as big as a cannon! I was sacred shi*less, but did keep myself between the gun and my future ex-wife, kept her behind me.

Fluffy

A fool
Call the police, climb out the window *quietly* then go to whichever point they entered by and wait for the police to arrive. If I make a noise they could escape before the police get there and if I wait there then they won't be able to escape easily.

If I had family then I would tell one of them to phone the police and confront them immediatly, without the gun.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I guess we really don't know how we will react until we are in that situation.
That is true. If I got close enough, out of instinct from free-style wrestling for years, I would take the guy down, and likly choke him out. But I think I would rather take him down from a distance with a knife being thrown, or a gun shot. Where I live, I would have jgallandt's problem of it taking a half hour for a cop to show up.

Circle_One

Stay; kill.

I refuse to be afraid in or flee from my own home. If someone has the balls to try and rob my home, they'll be leaving without them and possibly a few other appendages as well.