• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm, there is a BIG difference between bashing one's beliefs and bashing people.
Yes, there is. That's my point.

There's also a big difference between criticizing and bashing.

Ever heard of 'love the sinner, hate the sin?' Its the very same concept.
Ugh, don't get me started on that one!

I am friends with wiccans (mostly the really hot ones lol), jews, a muslim, hell, even CATHOLICS!!!
And yet I hate everything about the beliefs, and they hate my lack thereof, but at the end of the day we agree to disagree.
Do you criticize or bash? If you're really friends, I'm betting it's the former.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Really? I thought that your standards were somewhat higher than that.

I enjoy humor at all levels, albeit not equally. Then again, I can't really empathize very well with being insulted or offended by a joke, since I've never had that reaction.

J Bryson

I enjoy humor at all levels, albeit not equally. Then again, I can't really empathize very well with being insulted or offended by a joke, since I've never had that reaction.

Sometimes the more offensive a joke is, the better it is. However, as a friend of mine once said, it is not enough to be offensive: You must be offensively funny. Of course, tastes differ.

OmarKhayyam

We must be especially diligent to guard against offending the tender sensibilities of believers. They are a touchy feely lot and quick to sense - and painfully feel - disrespect and satire touching on their cherished beliefs.

But then given that one wonders why they come to an open forum where it should be expected those of a more - shall we say 'robust' nature - are with holding forth.

Or to offer and more colloquial expression of the same idea:

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
We must be especially diligent to guard against offending the tender sensibilities of believers. They are a touchy feely lot and quick to sense - and painfully feel - disrespect and satire touching on their cherished beliefs.

But then given that one wonders why they come to an open forum where it should be expected those of a more - shall we say 'robust' nature - are with holding forth.

Bashing is against forum rules. Incidentally, this also protects the tender sensibilities of atheists.

J Bryson

Again: Not really a "believer". In fact, my take on the universe is closer to yours than it is to many theists here. However, you add little to the debate beyond juvenile asides and ad hominem attacks. When you have managed to break away from these habits in order to add something insightful, educational, or constructive, I've quite enjoyed your posts.