• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
BTW, Tiapan...
You are way off base. You started by lumping all religious beliefs together, then when chastised for it, attack the one who brings your faults to light.

Chastised? I have had more damage from a feral army of attacking Neutrinos.

UU is still only a pimple on the *** of religion why even bother talking about it. There are bigger fish to help. Its pointless trying to debate every nuance of the human imagination no matter how elaborate the the farce is. The adherants of other "faiths" understand my ideas and respectfully debate these concepts with me. But there is always one in the crowd that makes more noise to compensate for lack of stature.

Generalization of all religious beliefs, like generalization of race, nationality or gender, is bigoted. Not the actions of a reasonable and rational person.

I feel fully justified, if you have experience what I endured you would probably agree, so I am a bigot by YOUR definition, (not mine though). Yes! Lump every single one of them together. I feel strongly ALL "Faith" based ideologies {especially monolibristic dogmas) and their adherents be intellectually challenged at every opportunity to the best of my ability. It may save more innocent lives.

But before accusing me of not knowing anything about UU could you give me a clue which particular incantation of your vivid imagination is your preferred version? Im having a little trouble putting my finger on it. I am not telepathic and having read your mythology page am still none the wiser. Could you point me to the instruction manual for UU. Perhaps having defined the basic premise of your delusion we could sit down and therapeutically discuss it. Perhaps a dash of lithium would helpin the mean time.

Cheers

J Bryson

Chastised? I have had more damage from a feral army of attacking Neutrinos.

UU is still only a pimple on the *** of religion why even bother talking about it. There are bigger fish to help. Its pointless trying to debate every nuance of the human imagination no matter how elaborate the the farce is. The adherants of other "faiths" understand my ideas and respectfully debate these concepts with me. But there is always one in the crowd that makes more noise to compensate for lack of stature.

I feel fully justified, if you have experience what I endured you would probably agree, so I am a bigot by YOUR definition, (not mine though). Yes! Lump every single one of them together. I feel strongly ALL "Faith" based ideologies {especially monolibristic dogmas) and their adherents be intellectually challenged at every opportunity to the best of my ability. It may save more innocent lives.

But before accusing me of not knowing anything about UU could you give me a clue which particular incantation of your vivid imagination is your preferred version? Im having a little trouble putting my finger on it. I am not telepathic and having read your mythology page am still none the wiser. Could you point me to the instruction manual for UU. Perhaps having defined the basic premise of your delusion we could sit down and therapeutically discuss it. Perhaps a dash of lithium would helpin the mean time.

Cheers

Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Then perhaps you should try Dr. Victor Stenger's book, GOD THE FAILED HYPOTHESIS, How Science Shows That God Dies not Exist, it's a very good read, all science, all very reasonable and logical, frightening to the religious I'm sure.

Sounds interesting. Is there a main line of argument in the book?

rojse

RF Addict
together3_cr.jpg

I didn't know you were a ten-year-old boy! :eek:

rojse

RF Addict
Then perhaps you should try Dr. Victor Stenger's book, GOD THE FAILED HYPOTHESIS, How Science Shows That God Dies not Exist, it's a very good read, all science, all very reasonable and logical, frightening to the religious I'm sure.

A freudian slip, perhaps? Or is it simply that "O" and "I" are adjacent on a qwerty keyboard?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Life is too short and to spend it on such pointless speculation.

I keep hearing that life is too short and so far no one has ever given me reason to actually believe this. I don't even pause to consider how life could be "too short." If your life is too short, then you aren't living it as well as you could be. At the end of every day I am almost always satisfied with what I did that day and if I am not, then that is incentive to change for tomorrow.

Life is long; think it over.

And pointless speculation? Speculating about the origins of reality and the nature of deeper cosmology will eventually give way to theories based in part or largely on empirical fact. But if we don't speculate at all between now and then we will very likely miss out on some key piece of evidence. It is very tough to notice something that you don't even think can possibly be there.

MTF

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Atheists - or rather people who describe themselves as atheist - are generally opposed to irrationality and believe all religions to be irrational because there is no evidence for anything supernatural. An atheist relies on naturalistic explanations for the world around him/her.

A Buddhist or some pagans may indeed by "atheist" in the sense they do not subscribe to some higher power. However, their "faith" entails spiritual baggage that atheists accept as irrational and thus reject.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Atheists - or rather people who describe themselves as atheist - are generally opposed to irrationality and believe all religions to be irrational because there is no evidence for anything supernatural. An atheist relies on naturalistic explanations for the world around him/her.

A Buddhist or some pagans may indeed by "atheist" in the sense they do not subscribe to some higher power. However, their "faith" entails spiritual baggage that atheists accept as irrational and thus reject.
Surely, you see the difference between criticizing the beliefs and bashing the people?

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Surely, you see the difference between criticizing the beliefs and bashing the people?

Bashing the people is wrong no matter what position you claim to have. However, I am not immune to not bashing people. If their beliefs encompass something I find morally repugnant and they are immune to reason, I will have no qualms directly attacking them. I'm talking about criticism of the ideas themselves, though. We find the whole "spiritual" thing irrational, thus we criticize it.

rojse

RF Addict
Bashing the people is wrong no matter what position you claim to have. However, I am not immune to not bashing people. If their beliefs encompass something I find morally repugnant and they are immune to reason, I will have no qualms directly attacking them. I'm talking about criticism of the ideas themselves, though. We find the whole "spiritual" thing irrational, thus we criticize it.

Why "irrational"? Why not just "something that I don't understand or appreciate"?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
J Bryson Online!
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Senior Member
Thanks for the reference

It confirms my belief held in previous posts. UU seems like a trade union of politically correct polite religious fringe dwellers. Some where between the main stream(unbearable) and reality (scary). Observant of the real physical world but incorporates the mythical second universe of spirituality. When it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck.... Chuck it in the bag with the rest.

UUA: Our Principles

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

* Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
* Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
* Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
* Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
* Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
* Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

Last edited: