• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To The Jesus Myth Theorist

Which Gnostics? And didn't that there were any Pharisees alive today to dominate Judaism.

I usually like your posts, but that last line made me blush red.

Next time I see a Pharisee walking down the street wearing a t-shirt to that effect I'll snap a picture for you, beloved Sister.

CynthiaCypher

You're both confusing what I said with what you think I said. I did not claim that Jesus was an Essene. I said many people think Jesus was an Essene. - Essenes, Essene Teachings and Essene Theology As well as many others. Just Google "Jesus Essene" and you'll be overwhelmed with Gnostics, Messianics, and even the odd revisionist just for kicks.

So you are suggesting that we should just "Google" and take whomevers blog or Wikipedia entry as Gospel truth?

So you are suggesting that we should just "Google" and take whomevers blog or Wikipedia entry as Gospel truth?

You asked "Who still believes Jesus is an Essene?" [despite that we now know better]

I'm saying that you should trust that there are many, many people out there who still support the idea that Jesus was an Essene.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well the idea did have some supporters, like a hundred years ago, before we really knew what an Essene was. Maybe he just doesn't have new sources?

haha, yeah I think that might be true.

I can't think of any reason why they would argue that even before the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.

What were the sources for the Essenes before then? We have just a few lines from Josephus (who were not like Jesus), the New Testament (who were not like Jesus), and maybe a line here and there in later Rabbinic material (not like Jesus). And after the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered an a possible Essene community was reconstructed, the argument that Jesus was one is completely out of reach.

A

angellous_evangellous

You asked "Who still believes Jesus is an Essene?" [despite that we now know better]

I'm saying that you should trust that there are many, many people out there who still support the idea that Jesus was an Essene.

If there are so many people who support such an idea, why is it so difficult to find an example?

haha, yeah I think that might be true.

I can't think of any reason why they would argue that even before the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.

What were the sources for the Essenes before then? We have just a few lines from Josephus (who were not like Jesus), the New Testament (who were not like Jesus), and maybe a line here and there in later Rabbinic material (not like Jesus). And after the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered an a possible Essene community was reconstructed, the argument that Jesus was one is completely out of reach.

Some people also argue that Nazareth didn't really exist and that Nazirites and Nazareth have some pseudo-Illuminati connection.

I can't make this stuff up. :no:

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Some people also argue that Nazareth didn't really exist and that Nazirites and Nazareth have some pseudo-Illuminati connection.

I can't make this stuff up. :no:

I can't anticipate what a moron will make up. :shrug:

A

angellous_evangellous

I was asked to provide proof that people continue to believe; quality was not a prerequisite.

Consider, of course, your post above the one I quoted: "I can't anticipate what a moron will make up." :cool:

That's telling. I want to know what convinced YOU that Jesus was an Essene.

I did not expect you to throw a crappy random example that is completely useless.

That's telling. I want to know what convinced YOU that Jesus was an Essene.

I did not expect you to throw a crappy random example that is completely useless.

Beloved brother,

We have had issue in a previous thread, as well, so I am going to draw a picture - and I beg you to understand that I am not trying to speak down or be insulting - but you do demonstrate trouble following me so far. (Two for two = 100%) I want to make sure we're on the same page.

It is often thought that Jesus was an Essene. "Mainstream Judaism" was, and is, Pharisee Judaism.

(My original post) Please demonstrate where I said, there, that I thought Jesus was an Essene or considered him such. (Actually, in my next post, I actually muse on his status as a Qaraite)

You're both confusing what I said with what you think I said. I did not claim that Jesus was an Essene. I said many people think Jesus was an Essene. - Essenes, Essene Teachings and Essene Theology As well as many others. Just Google "Jesus Essene" and you'll be overwhelmed with Gnostics, Messianics, and even the odd revisionist just for kicks.

This follow-up post outlines, again, that I did not say I thought Jesus was an Essene.

I really do hope this helped; but, if it did not, please outline any trouble you're having and I'll try to address that as well.

With an abundance of love and respect,

A

angellous_evangellous

Beloved brother

I appreciate this term of endearment, but I respond better to "Daddy" (my RF title), "O Magnificent One" (my wife's favorite), or "Beautiful Angellous (my favorite)."

With "Beloved Brother" - I honestly don't know who you're talking to.

I appreciate this term of endearment, but I respond better to "Daddy" (my RF title), "O Magnificent One" (my wife's favorite), or "Beautiful Angellous (my favorite)."

With "Beloved Brother" - I honestly don't know who you're talking to.

O Effendi, whose intelligence is like the rising of the Sun upon the frozen wasteland of my ignorance - yeah, I like that one. :p

I don't want us getting off on a bad start here; but it seems to me that you take issue with me in both our interactions together. I lament my last post was so harsh; but I really don't know where you got the idea I was pushing "Jesus as Essene" and then took offense to your demanding I back a claim I never made.

I apologize, I really am not looking to insult or belittle.

Oh, and the beloved brother thing - where Sabka Malik Ek - One God governs all - are we not all siblings under One Father?

With an abundance of love and respect,

A

angellous_evangellous

I really don't know where you got the idea I was pushing "Jesus as Essene"

No, you claimed that many people believe that Jesus was an Essene. And you provided a useless website. I simply wanted to know why you thought this - obviously you know of several people who believe this, although I can't imagine why.

I did some poking around and found a handful of books on amazon and they are all crap. I just want a good resource, that's all, and I figured maybe you had one.