• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tongues of the Holy Spirit are real

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was in a pentecostal community before I became atheist. I could always speak in tongues.

Externally, how can you tell the difference between gobblygook and speaking in tongues?

Tongues is speaking in languages that needs interpretation to be "from god." Without that interpretation, it could just be the heightened person acting in freedom; their body unrestrained. Theyve been chained in sin and now theyre born again.

Its not tongues biblically. Its an expression of faith.

sealchan

Why does one go into a trance when one speaks in tongues. Every time I speak in toungues I reach a higher state of consciousness. Just like when you meditate or in hypnosis. Surely gobbeldygook does not have that power?

Why not? Maybe it is not just nonsense to the individual personally even if it makes no sense to anyone else. It is a mishmash of pseudo linguistic mutterings driven by ones deepest psychological needs, desires and other unconscious mental states. Surely that would raise your consciousness to lower that part of your minds ability to restrict your voice to recognizable sentences without restricting your sincerity and passion.

David T

Premium Member
That's not really a sufficient answer. How do you know that neither of those sensations or experiences are simply a result of temporary hysteria?
Hey it's defined as identical to having sex with someone.
hys·te·ri·a
həˈstirēə,həˈsterēə/
noun
  1. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people.
    "the mass hysteria that characterizes the week before Christmas"
    synonyms: frenzy, feverishness, hysterics, fit of madness, derangement, mania, delirium

David T

Premium Member
Why not? Maybe it is not just nonsense to the individual personally even if it makes no sense to anyone else. It is a mishmash of pseudo linguistic mutterings driven by ones deepest psychological needs, desires and other unconscious mental states. Surely that would raise your consciousness to lower that part of your minds ability to restrict your voice to recognizable sentences without restricting your sincerity and passion.
Is linguistic like notes on a guitar are not defined literally like a definition in websters. So it's the unconscious into conscious state.,

David T

Premium Member
Why does one go into a trance when one speaks in tongues. Every time I speak in toungues I reach a higher state of consciousness. Just like when you meditate or in hypnosis. Surely gobbeldygook does not have that power?
The unconscious becoming conscious.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Self justified gobbeldygok con have that power over an individual if that individual desires that power. Individual anecdotal subjective claims are always suspect, particularly claims of attaining a higher consciousness. To many make this claim from many different methodes, with many conflicting claims as to what this high consciousness means. .Claims of meditation and following the advice of gurus make the same claims.

Over the years I have visited churches with believers speaking in tongues, and found nothing substantial other than individual claims.

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Way back when I was a just a lad I met a girl that spoke in tongue into my mouth, but...I couldn't tell what she was saying, cause she had her tongue in my mouth !

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I speak in "tongues", well spoke in tongues. Kind of amazing when it first happens. You kind of sit there without conscious control of what comes out of your mouth. If you're inclined to believe in divinity it can trigger a pleasant emotional response. I think once you begin to learn how the subconscious mind works it gets easier to trigger these feelings of peace, or "bliss" I suppose.

I see the subconscious as a big mystery to the conscious self. It causes us to desire/feel, experience emotions and even see things. For example what I read is the color pink doesn't exist in the color spectrum, but the subconscious mind translates the visual information into a color that we experience seeing.

So IMO the subconscious mind is capable of creating a spiritual experience for us without any, lets call it divine source. That's not to say such a source doesn't exist but how would we know if it is an actual external source?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You can speak "it" but you won't ever get the same interpretation .

God's translator is worse than Google's.

Interpretation is just as interesting as speaking. Subconscious mind puts religious thoughts into your head, IMO, without any conscious thought or control. Since you didn't consciously originate the thought, it must have originated externally right? All very convincing of divine origin to the person experiencing it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You're not answering my question. The question is: How do you KNOW it is real rather than imagined?

For example, where I live there are regularly homeless people around. One of them, a fairly well known regular of the area, wanders around shirtless, talking to himself, laughing and often accosting strangers. Is he experiencing the holy ghost?

They don't. What they do know is that they are not the conscious source of whatever is coming out of their mouth. So if they aren't the source...

lostwanderingsoul

In Jesus days speaking in tongues simply meant speaking other languages. A Roman could speak to a Greek for example. There was no mumbling of uninteligable sounds. This is something people have stared in recent times and has nothing to do with being religious or following Jesus.

David T

Premium Member
Hmmm. Don't see how that's possible. Animate the inanimate? Religious beliefs abound, but I don't believe it.
Hmmm. Don't see how that's possible. Animate the inanimate? Religious beliefs abound, but I don't believe it.
What we call the animate is animated by what we call the inanimate. That's actually aligned with scientific observation.

What ever we are and I leave that as open without recursion, and self referential ism is as we know today 14 billion years old. That has manifested Into life or us which makes us in that capacity 4 billion years old. We have aspects in genetics stretching back that far. We have our daily experience which is but a tiny part of that. Generally that tiny little aspect is about what we understand and that is it.

Artists allude to it frauds attempt to prey upon others about it, confused believers give a huge spectrum of stories and impressions about it a
the mad are lost in it and some don't see it so it must not exist.

So if what I am talking about is true I don't see any easy way to explain it except through art. As soon as we try and "explain" that's not it. A bit like tryi. G to say a metronome isn't needed for a 60 beat.

QuestioningMind

It's a form of self-hypnosis. It's an altered state of consciousness, but certainly not a 'higher' state of consciousness. People can use self-hypnosis to delude themselves into believing all sorts of ridiculous things.