• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 "must watch" movies

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Don't you think history deserves a wee bit more respect?

Not necessarily in a Hollywood movie. If I am watching a documentary, then yes, for sure. If I'm watching a fictionalized version of the story based on the info we have, then I only expect it to be a well-told and good story.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Spirited Away
Pan's Labyrinth
Empire of the Sun
Contact
Boondock Saints

Spirited Away will blow your mind; it deserves a couple of watch-throughs. Pan's Labyrinth I could watch over and over again; so engrossing you forget it's subtitled. Empire of the Sun is a great historical movie about a British boy separated from his parents and put in a POW camp when the Japanese invade Shanghai. Contact doesn't do the book justice, but it will make you think. Boondock Saints has all the action you could hope for, along side an intelligent plot wonderfully produced.

Honorable Mentions for Kung Fu Hustle (it's just insane fun) and I'm loving the love for Neverending Story in this thread.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Random 5 that probably haven't been mentioned.

The Fall
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Terry Gilliam)
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Killing Zoe
Sleep with Me

Rakhel

Okay I have a few British movies I have to add

The Full Monty
Shirley Valentine
The Snapper
Lady Jane
A Fish Called Wanda
Little Buddha(which I could swear was called Siddhartha over here)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Is that the one with Keanu Reeves as Buddha? And there's a kid who's Buddha reincarnated? I've seen snatches of it, and it looked strange, but intriguing.

Rakhel

Is that the one with Keanu Reeves as Buddha? And there's a kid who's Buddha reincarnated? I've seen snatches of it, and it looked strange, but intriguing.
Yes and Yes.Well actually it's 3 kids but focused on one during the film. The parts with Keanu are beautifully done, IMO.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Okay I have a few British movies I have to add

The Full Monty
Shirley Valentine
The Snapper
Lady Jane
A Fish Called Wanda

Oh my, we could have a girls night at the movies. I'll bring the wine.

Loved The Full Monty, Lady Jane, and A Fish Called Wanda. Haven't seen the others, but now of course I'll have to.

Have you seen Little Voice? What about Secrets and Lies? Both are very good.

Oh and what about Calendar Girls?

Rakhel

Oh my, we could have a girls night at the movies. I'll bring the wine.

Loved The Full Monty, Lady Jane, and A Fish Called Wanda. Haven't seen the others, but now of course I'll have to.

Shirley Valentine is about a woman upset with her life always talking to the wall and goes on vacation to Greece.
The Snapper is kinda like Juno only done in Ireland and she isn't in love with the baby's daddy, who is the father of her best friend.

I have never heard of the movies your talking about. I think Calendar Girls was about the 3 guys who went to find Marylin Monroe? If that's it, I've seen it

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Little Voice - Great!
Fish Called Wanda - Uninspired
What say you of....
Room With A View (horror)
My Brilliant Career (sci fi)
Clockwork Orange (romantic comedy)
Gattaca (musical)
Brazil (documentary)
Buckaroo Banzai - Across The 8th Dimension (weepy chick flick)

Last edited:

Sententia

3 Idiots: 3 Idiots (2009) - IMDb
The Princess Bride: IMDb - The Princess Bride (1987)
Fight Club: Fight Club (1999) - IMDb
A beautiful mind: A Beautiful Mind (2001) - IMDb
Runaway Jury: Runaway Jury (2003) - IMDb

There are a lot of movies I think people should enjoy if they can get into them... I have watched so many foreign films now that they are replacing my "pop culture" favs... then I have movies like "Pulp Fiction" and "Heartbreak Ridge" that I loved but I don't think others would really get it... etc etc...

Gemini

If you like Pan's Labyrinth, I would suggest Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children.
For life-affirming silent films that you might be surprised how delightful they are, I'd suggest The Man Who Laughs and City Lights.
If you're interested in Christianity, try The Gospel According to St. Matthew.
For Buddhism, try Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For the East?
You must see Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story, Bicycle Thieves, The Grand Illusion, Sansho the Bailiff, La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, Wild Strawberries, Au Hasard Balthazar, My Neighbor Totoro, Ran, Rashomon, Ugetsu, Persona, and Fanny and Alexander.

Kathryn

Shirley Valentine is about a woman upset with her life always talking to the wall and goes on vacation to Greece.
The Snapper is kinda like Juno only done in Ireland and she isn't in love with the baby's daddy, who is the father of her best friend.

I have never heard of the movies your talking about. I think Calendar Girls was about the 3 guys who went to find Marylin Monroe? If that's it, I've seen it

Little Voice:

18169499.jpg
A telephone repairman (Ewan McGregor) and a music promoter (Michael Caine) play second fiddle to Little Voice (Jane Horrocks), a young woman whose beautiful pipes could pack a thousand cabarets. Trouble is, she can only sing along to records in her room. This British charmer was a sleeper hit among the indie set thanks to its winning mix of romance, hope and humor. Brenda Blethyn and Jim Broadbent co-star.

(Jane Horrocks is "Bubble" in Absolutely Fabulous, and she does ALL of her own singing in the movie - which is amazing. I had no idea her acting skills were so expansive. And Ewan McGregor is darling as a very shy, naive and innocent young man.)

Calendar Girls:

60031286.jpg
The members of the Knapely Women's Institute of North Yorkshire are resourceful and refined -- and they're about to shock the residents of their little English town with a daringly bare philanthropy project. When one of their own (Julie Walters) learns her husband has cancer, the group decides to spice up their yearly calendar fundraiser by forgoing the usual images of the Yorkshire dales and gracing the pages in the nude. Helen Mirren co-stars.

Secrets and Lies:

60010872.jpg
A family confronts shocking secrets and long-forgotten lies in this bittersweet drama. With no man in her life, single mom Cynthia (Brenda Blethyn) finds life with her sullen daughter, Roxanne (Claire Rushbrook), one big disappointment. But everything changes when Hortense (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) shows up claiming to be the daughter Cynthia gave up for adoption -- a revelation that shakes Cynthia's entire family. Timothy Spall co-stars.

Funny thing is, after reading your suggestions for Shirley Valentine and The Snapper, I went to Netflix to order them - and realized that they are already both in my queu!

Oh, and here's another movie from the UK that's excellent:

954249.jpg

Ewan McGregor stars in this grimly comic tale of three roommates who find their enigmatic new flatmate dead in his room with a stash of drugs and a suitcase full of cash. What will they do with all that money -- and the corpse? Things get even more twisted as drug dealers and the cops start snooping around. Directed by Danny Boyle, this pitch-perfect dark comedy also stars Christopher Eccleston, Kerry Fox and Ken Stott.

Kathryn

3 Idiots: 3 Idiots (2009) - IMDb
The Princess Bride: IMDb - The Princess Bride (1987)
Fight Club: Fight Club (1999) - IMDb
A beautiful mind: A Beautiful Mind (2001) - IMDb
Runaway Jury: Runaway Jury (2003) - IMDb

There are a lot of movies I think people should enjoy if they can get into them... I have watched so many foreign films now that they are replacing my "pop culture" favs... then I have movies like "Pulp Fiction" and "Heartbreak Ridge" that I loved but I don't think others would really get it... etc etc...

Pulp Fiction is one of my alltime favorite movies, and I also really enjoyed Heartbreak Ridge, the Princess Bride, Fight Club, and a Beautiful Mind. Haven't seen Runaway Jury, but now I'll have to!

Kathryn

Oh and here's an excellent movie that I haven't seen anyone bring up yet:

The Constant Gardener
2005R129 minutes

Justin Quayle (Ralph Fiennes), a member of the British High Commission based in Africa, launches a quest for the truth and begins his own international investigation when his wife (Rachel Weisz, in an Oscar-winning turn) is murdered. Not even the rumors of his wife's infidelity will stop him from uncovering what really happened to her -- a conspiracy that's much more dangerous than he ever imagined.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

Also:

Tom Berenger, John Lithgow, Kathy Bates, Darryl Hannah, and Aiden Quinn - what a great slate of actors! For some weird reason, though, you can't get this one on Netflix.

Martin and Hazel Quarrier are small-town fundamentalist missionaries sent to the jungles of South America to convert the Indians. Their remote mission was previously run by the Catholics, before the natives murdered them all. They are sent by the pompous Leslie Huben, who runs the missionary effort in the area but who seems more concerned about competing with his Catholic 'rivals' than in the Indians themselves. Hazel is terrified of the Indians while Martin is fascinated. Soon American pilot Lewis Moon joins the Indian tribe but is attracted by Leslie's young wife, Andy. Can the interaction of these characters and cultures, and the advancing bulldozers of civilization, avoid disaster?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101373/plotsummary

Another excellent movie I haven't seen mentioned yet is:

70045268.jpg

Shunned by a husband (Edward Norton) who's more interested in his scientific research, simpleminded Kitty Fane (Naomi Watts) embarks on a quest for life fulfillment, igniting a passionate affair with dashing womanizer Charles Townsend (Liev Schreiber). But Kitty's plan takes an unexpected turn when her husband forces her to help him fight a cholera epidemic. Diana Rigg co-stars in this period drama based on W. Somerset Maugham's novel.

Oh and what about this fantastic movie:

70095140.jpg

After coming within one question of winning it all on the Indian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?," 18-year-old Mumbai "slumdog" Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is arrested on suspicion that he cheated his way to the top. While in custody, he regales a jaded inspector (Irfan Khan) with remarkable tales of his life on the streets and the story of the woman (Freida Pinto) he loved and lost. Danny Boyle directs this Oscar-winning Best Picture.

Last edited:

Two-bit guru

Little Voice:

A telephone repairman (Ewan McGregor) and a music promoter (Michael Caine) play second fiddle to Little Voice (Jane Horrocks), a young woman whose beautiful pipes could pack a thousand cabarets. Trouble is, she can only sing along to records in her room. This British charmer was a sleeper hit among the indie set thanks to its winning mix of romance, hope and humor. Brenda Blethyn and Jim Broadbent co-star.

(Jane Horrocks is "Bubble" in Absolutely Fabulous, and she does ALL of her own singing in the movie - which is amazing. I had no idea her acting skills were so expansive. And Ewan McGregor is darling as a very shy, naive and innocent young man.)

Little Voice is a terrific movie. Seeing Michael Caine as such a sleaze was a delight. Jane Horrocks is a triple delight!!:)