• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touchy Question

gnostic

The Lost One
There's no go to hell whatsoever, in Judaism, because there is no hell. Hell is a late concept. Before than Sheol was where everyone went, regardless of age, rich or poor, pious or impious. Sheol was originally just the abode of the dead, and the final destination for everyone. Sheol was neither heaven nor hell. Sheol was not a place of reward or punishment.

The only people to escape death was Enoch and Elijah, according to the bible.

Any reward or punishment was done on Earth during each person's lifetime.

So the original Abrahamic religion, Judaism, are unlike Christianity and Islam in many way. Heaven and hell were only developed in late Judaism during the inter-testimonial period, such as from the 2 books of Enoch, when it was influenced by Zoroastrianism and Hellenistic mystery religions, and Christian was developed from that.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

I keep forgetting that yall [Baha'is] are Abrahamic... actually, I dont know anything about your faith...

Suffice it to say the Baha'i scriptures state this explicitly:

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

-- (The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, page 114)

Best, :)

Bruce

Booko

Deviled Hen
I see what you mean. In my whoopin 28 years of age I can't say I've read and heard that the West is more exclusive though. In fact it is in the East that religious conflict is more rampant. It is in the East where religions (or religion all together) are more often excluded or banned. I guess "the whole" can very easily be broken into parts when your neighbor annoys you? :shrug:

We do have different cultural views, and it comes across in some places, but certain things about human nature do seem to be rather universal. :)

As for East and West and who does more exclusion, first it's seems pretty difficult to figure out who really has more of a propensity to do that, if anyone actually does. After all, we're most acquainted with our own history, so we would notice it more when we engage in such things. Second, much of that current exclusion in the East may have more to do with a reaction against colonialism. Third, there's an ebb and flow to that sort of thing within cultures, so if there's more going on in the East now, there might've been more in the West a few centuries ago, and when viewed over the long run it may all come up pretty much the same.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
There's no go to hell whatsoever, in Judaism, because there is no hell. Hell is a late concept. Before than Sheol was where everyone went, regardless of age, rich or poor, pious or impious. Sheol was originally just the abode of the dead, and the final destination for everyone. Sheol was neither heaven nor hell. Sheol was not a place of reward or punishment.

So the original Abrahamic religion, Judaism, are unlike Christianity and Islam in many way. Heaven and hell were only developed in late Judaism during the inter-testimonial period, such as from the 2 books of Enoch, when it was influenced by Zoroastrianism and Hellenistic mystery religions, and Christian was developed from that.
Very cool. I still feel that Abrahamic religions can be a bit "members only" like. THOUGH they'd love converts and welcome people who desire a change ;)

rocka21

Brother Rock

O really? where did Jesus get that "crazy" hell idea from?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
We do have different cultural views, and it comes across in some places, but certain things about human nature do seem to be rather universal. :)

As for East and West and who does more exclusion, first it's seems pretty difficult to figure out who really has more of a propensity to do that, if anyone actually does. After all, we're most acquainted with our own history, so we would notice it more when we engage in such things. Second, much of that current exclusion in the East may have more to do with a reaction against colonialism. Third, there's an ebb and flow to that sort of thing within cultures, so if there's more going on in the East now, there might've been more in the West a few centuries ago, and when viewed over the long run it may all come up pretty much the same.
Different cultural views is ok in my book. :)

I sure won't be naive enough to think that the West is immune to it. We have our fair share of exclusivist. Was just sharing my few years of experience is all.

gnostic

The Lost One
I still feel that Abrahamic religions can be a bit "members only" like. THOUGH they'd love converts and welcome people who desire a change
Well, Judaism is definitely "members only". If you have the tiniest fraction of Jewish blood in you, by looking at your genealogy, then they would welcome you as a sister...if you choose to follow their religion.

The Jews are however very willing to share information with all outsiders, but don't seek to convert people who are not born Jews.