• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transhumanism

Beyondo

Well I said it; Transhumanism! Is it moral? Would you agree to it? What form would you choose? Is smaller better?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Think I will watch The Fly and get a bigger ball cap for the expanded cranium as humans will need the extra capacity to deal with a number of major issues in the future that they could realistically face. I'm not against improving mankind, but can we as humans improve too fast too soon before we are ready?
-NM-

Beyondo

The question for the religious regarding transhumanism is; Is it gods will that humanity can change itself, better still does god allow humanity to transform its physical appearance to the extent where it no longer is in god's image?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
The question for the religious regarding transhumanism is; Is it gods will that humanity can change itself, better still does god allow humanity to transform its physical appearance to the extent where it no longer is in god's image?
I think that there are many in religious circles who interpret "created in God's image" in spiritual terms and not physical terms. So on those grounds enhancing ourselves would not be a problem.

TechTed

I am all for transhumanism and believe it is a necessary step in our evolution.

In one sense, it has already started. How many people do you see everyday with a Bluephone stuck in their ear? How many people are walking around with various implants, artificial limbs / bones / organs? Performance enhancing drug users??

As soon as the means are available, we should go for it. My fear is that growing religious fundamentalism is doing whatever they can to slow down progress in this area. This effort will require massive resources which probably includes more government funding. But it's funny that our founding fathers saw the wisdom in separating church and state, yet stating in public today that you believe in evolution is equal to commiting political suicide.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What exactly is "gods image"? There are faiths out there that think a woman wearing pants is against gods will... like any change in society some will pitch a fit.

But then, I'm also sure there will be a place for "natural" humans in any future we have.

wa:do

MSizer

MSizer
What is the difference between using a computer keyboard to convey information into a machine than having it plugged directly into your nervous system? I see no difference at all.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What is the difference between using a computer keyboard to convey information into a machine than having it plugged directly into your nervous system? I see no difference at all.
Not a lot on many levels... but what if you simply don't want to be plugged in?

I don't like carrying a cell phone, I don't drive a car, I enjoy being in the woods and having as little technology between myself and nature as possible.
I only use the technology I need at the time to do what I want... then I like to leave it alone and walk away from it.

Why should that be a bad thing?

MSizer

MSizer
Not a lot on many levels... but what if you simply don't want to be plugged in?

I don't like carrying a cell phone, I don't drive a car, I enjoy being in the woods and having as little technology between myself and nature as possible.
I only use the technology I need at the time to do what I want... then I like to leave it alone and walk away from it.

Why should that be a bad thing?

I don't think there's anything bad about that.