• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and the Failure of the Republican Party

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For people committed to democracy, they should be pro-union because unions work on a democratic model with elections that can be monitored by the fed under federal law. They also serve to represent those who otherwise have little voice in their employment, and also they are much responsible for the emergence of the middle class historically.
One thing I have argued on and off over the years is incorporating worker's rights into our various charters and constitutions thereby making it the law of the land and unions largely irrelevant. If the worker is protected by federal law they do not need a union to watch out for them. Collective bargaining would be a thing of the past as wages would be tied to profits... though many on the left may not find that idea terribly palatable.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Read it and weep, Trump haters. Donald just sent me this 10 minutes ago. Just out:

m1e23V.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Read it and weep, Trump haters. Donald just sent me this 10 minutes ago. Just out:

m1e23V.jpg
And quiet a few people saw their polls saying Romney would defeat Obama, and put so much faith in those polls that they were shocked when Obama won, even though most other polls were predicting Obama would win.
And that is one poll of a very large group. The Republican nominee needs specifically Hispanic voters to win White House, and as far as I can tell, at least around here, they hate his guts.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Oh, I don't bet my farm on many of these polls. But it is fun to jerk the chain of some, during the entire primary process we had the Republican establishment shove stupid polls in our face before each state primary on "Trump's negatives", then Trump wins the state and now he has won it all and at historical records and total votes.

But there is a trending coming in focus, I have little doubt if the Dems are so foolish to allow Hillary to get the nomination by hook or crook, Trump is going to defeat her in a landslide. The only hope for the Dems is Sanders.

As far as LEGAL citizens who are Hispanic, I don't know where you live but the one's I know are for either Trump or Sanders. Maybe you are talking to illegals, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway. It's about jobs and the economy.

Shadow Wolf

As far as LEGAL citizens who are Hispanic, I don't know where you live but the one's I know are for either Trump or Sanders. Maybe you are talking to illegals, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway. It's about jobs and the economy.
Actually, it's both. And the ones here illegally aren't voting anyways.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
One thing I have argued on and off over the years is incorporating worker's rights into our various charters and constitutions thereby making it the law of the land and unions largely irrelevant. If the worker is protected by federal law they do not need a union to watch out for them. Collective bargaining would be a thing of the past as wages would be tied to profits... though many on the left may not find that idea terribly palatable.
I really can't agree with that for two main reasons, with one of them being the issue of oversight and the other being the issue of a representation of workers. Without the workers, no business will succeed, so I simply do not agree that all or even most power has to be with the employers.

IMO, an even better arrangement is employee ownership, but that sort of goes beyond the scope of this thread.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I really can't agree with that for two main reasons, with one of them being the issue of oversight and the other being the issue of a representation of workers. Without the workers, no business will succeed, so I simply do not agree that all or even most power has to be with the employers.

IMO, an even better arrangement is employee ownership, but that sort of goes beyond the scope of this thread.
Agreed. There are pro's and con's to each (and every alternative) ...but unions... have pretty well outgrown their usefulness as so many have become bloated bureaucracies in their own right that have the power to destroy the company their members work for. In a civic labor code many of the reasons for unions existence could be enshrined and the companies would be breaking federal laws if they transgressed. The "power" is essentially the workers due to their electing a given government that is looking out for their interests. But.... back to regular programming...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Agreed. There are pro's and con's to each (and every alternative) ...but unions... have pretty well outgrown their usefulness as so many have become bloated bureaucracies in their own right that have the power to destroy the company their members work for. In a civic labor code many of the reasons for unions existence could be enshrined and the companies would be breaking federal laws if they transgressed. The "power" is essentially the workers due to their electing a given government that is looking out for their interests. But.... back to regular programming...
If a union destroys it's own companies, then that certainly would be idiotic on their part, and I really don't see that much happening as unions are much more flexible then when I was younger, plus they are now much more willing to grant concessions, such as what we have seen happening here with the auto industry. Here it seems that bad business decisions have caused more problems than unions have.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
As of today, the Rasmussen Poll out on May 19th, Trump leads Clinton by 5 points nationally. In addition, Trump leads Hillary by 16 points nationally among independents, 46% to 30%. As each week goes by, Trump's lead over Hillary grows following the same pattern as the primaries. She is going to get massacred in the general election, her negatives are huge, she was a disaster as Secretary of State, and about 1/2 of America hates her. She is a loser, and no one wants a Obama third term in Hillary, no one can afford it.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Donald Trump has now grown his lead over Hillary Clinton in Rasmussen Report,
Trump earns 42% support to Clinton’s 37% among Likely U.S. Voters.

Nous

Premium Member
If the worker is protected by federal law they do not need a union to watch out for them. Collective bargaining would be a thing of the past as wages would be tied to profits... though many on the left may not find that idea terribly palatable.
Do you know how easy it is to make a company look unprofitable on paper?

What else would this federal law say to protect workers? Union contracts of usually tendentious, detailed things.

Nous

Premium Member
As of today, the Rasmussen Poll out on May 19th, Trump leads Clinton by 5 points nationally. In addition, Trump leads Hillary by 16 points nationally among independents, 46% to 30%. As each week goes by, Trump's lead over Hillary grows following the same pattern as the primaries. She is going to get massacred in the general election, her negatives are huge, she was a disaster as Secretary of State, and about 1/2 of America hates her. She is a loser, and no one wants a Obama third term in Hillary, no one can afford it.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Donald Trump has now grown his lead over Hillary Clinton in Rasmussen Report,
Trump earns 42% support to Clinton’s 37% among Likely U.S. Voters.
For what it’s worth, of the 60-something polls collected at Real Clear Politics since May of last year, in a general election race between Trump and Clinton, only 8 have shown Trump with bigger numbers. In at least a couple of those, the difference was within the margin of error. In contrast , many of them show Clinton winning by more than 10 points: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ral_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html#polls

In such polls it’s easy to get different results using the same methodology.

I’m not sure that a poll at this point--of a thousand people, no less--is very informative (especially since Trump is a loose cannon).

blue taylor

I think you're being fooled. Republicans cut the taxes on the wealthy markedly and leave to the Democrats to try to pay the bills:
800px-Historical_Marginal_Tax_Rate_for_Highest_and_Lowest_Income_Earners.jpg
Someone who knows their stuff. I showed a chart sort of like this to a tea party guy and he refused to believe it. Even when I showed him it was from the governments own website!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think you're being fooled. Republicans cut the taxes on the wealthy markedly and leave to the Democrats to try to pay the bills:
800px-Historical_Marginal_Tax_Rate_for_Highest_and_Lowest_Income_Earners.jpg
The above is a chart which doesn't mean what many think it does.
As someone with a lot of experience paying income taxes over many decades,
one thing I've learned is that nominal marginal tax rates (from tax tables), & the
actual marginal tax rates can be greatly different. The tax tables make up only
a few of the over 100,000 pages of the tax code. Along with rate changes, the
fed also changed allowable tax avoidance mechanisms. When the nominal
rates were higher, there were generous things like accelerated depreciation
without recapture upon sale. In my experience the actual rates didn't change
much for those who play the game.

Btw, I favor lower marginal rates, & getting rid of tax avoidance schemes.
It makes for better economic incentives, it's fairer, it removes the advantage conferred
upon sophisticated tax dodgers, & it saves us money wasted on accounting tricks.

Shadow Wolf

And both nominees need women voters. Every woman I know uses profanities when speaking of Trump.
And I know a ton of women who shudder in disgust even if they just hear the name Trump. Trump has a serious deficit when it comes to women. Plenty of polls are showing that women just don't like him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And I know a ton of women who shudder in disgust even if they just hear the name Trump. Trump has a serious deficit when it comes to women. Plenty of polls are showing that women just don't like him.
There has been a concerted campaign in the leftish media to paint him as a misogynist.
But with the recent outing of NY Times dishonesty in this area, his lot with gals might improve.

Also, women know that they've a special place in Hell if the don't vote for the woman, ya know.

Shadow Wolf

There has been a concerted campaign in the leftish media to paint him as a misogynist.
Campaigne? They don't have to do anything because all Trump has to do is open is mouth. That's like saying the Left is on a campaign to make Fox look Conservative.
Also, women know that they've a special place in Hell if the don't vote for the woman, ya know.
I wish I could meet those second wave nuts just so I could tell they aren't the first ones to tell me I'm going to hell, and they certainly aren't the first to make me care.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Campaigne? They don't have to do anything because all Trump has to do is open is mouth. That's like saying the Left is on a campaign to make Fox look Conservative.

No, I've heard NPR misquote him, & the NY Times just got its tit in the wringer for a phony hit piece on him.
I wish I could meet those second wave nuts just so I could tell they aren't the first ones to tell me I'm going to hell, and they certainly aren't the first to make me care.
There's a lot of sexism going around, & Hillary's appears worse than Trump's.
Still, it's a horrible choice to face.
But then, this is typically the case.
McCain was even worse than Trump.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
It is fun to watch the far left which so many are on drugs and delusional. The fact is obvious - Trump is trending up and Hillary is imploding. This is going to be fun to watch the general election, Hillary who herself led the attack on women who were raped and serially abused by Bill Clinton who used his position of power as well to treat women like chattel. Hillary is going to be slaughtered in the general election and women will help take down Hillary that disgusting politician who even underpays her own female staff and over pays men and has a husband who should be in prison for his abuse of women.

Bill Clinton visits the island of a child abuser who has underage girls as slaves - my God, I guess Hillary endorses that, too. As we move into the general, we see Trump overtaking Hillary and will easily defeat her.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is fun to watch the far left which so many are on drugs and delusional. The fact is obvious - Trump is trending up and Hillary is imploding. This is going to be fun to watch the general election, Hillary who herself led the attack on women who were raped and serially abused by Bill Clinton who used his position of power as well to treat women like chattel. Hillary is going to be slaughtered in the general election and women will help take down Hillary that disgusting politician who even underpays her own female staff and over pays men and has a husband who should be in prison for his abuse of women.

Bill Clinton visits the island of a child abuser who has underage girls as slaves - my God, I guess Hillary endorses that, too. As we move into the general, we see Trump overtaking Hillary and will easily defeat her.
It could be that the thread's title might change to....
Trump & The Rebirth Of The Republican Party

But I make no predictions....anything can happen that far in the distant future.