• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth in all the World's Religions?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
many of these great "spiritual truths" are little more than common sense to anyone who is not a raving psychopath.

I agree that many of these spiritual truths seem to be common sense. But I believe originally these came from the teachings of the prophets. In another words, I believe the ultimate source was Manifestations of God's teachings.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Investigate Truth what makes Baha'is believe most of the Buddha's teachings have not survived except in distorted versions?

Orias

Left Hand Path
How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences? To use an example, Muhammad. Muhammad put the majority of his life into reforming what was an extremely barbaric society. He did have time to teach good things in-between, but most of us his life had to be devoted to defending himself against attackers. How different would Muhammad have been if he had lived in a society that allowed him to be more easy going? Even Muhammad taught very similarly to other teachers, but cultural differences sometimes obscure that. Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?

I think you are absolute in your proposition.

People take too much time separating the culture, ethics, and even deviance from religions and segregate themselves.

Without even realizing the purpose of their given gnosis.

All religions serve man, for the purposes of spiritual advancement.

It often goes unrealized that all religions and "Gods" consist of stories wrote and told by man, resulting in man fashioned divinity. It's a deceitful form of Autotheism. Commonly overlooked as an individual and certain "truth".

All religions, beliefs, and faiths teach Life from a different perspective. When you take all of them and combine all of the Gods, teachings and such, you end up with the totality of human awareness.

Though, many people will agree that a lot of religions contradict each other, it is often overlooked that religions have a tendency to be in direct Opposition to another. This is for simple reasons, like competition.

This closely relates to pantheism, and panentheism, which I think you would find pretty interesting (if you haven't already researched it).

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Investigate Truth what makes Baha'is believe most of the Buddha's teachings have not survived except in distorted versions?

Well, my understanding based on some Baha'i writings by Shoghi and Abdulbaha, is that, followers of Buddha do not possess his authentic writings.
Buddha lived some thousands years ago, His message could be distorted throughout generations, specially when followers of Buddha do not possess his authentic writings.
For example, Baha'u'llah had always signed and sealed His writings. Abdulbaha also signed His Tablets or Books. But in the case of other Manifestations, that was not done. Many people have some collections of their sayings, which there is a chance that they are not the actual sayings.

having said that, I don't think, the Baha'i Scriptures say that every thing regarding Buddha's teachings are now corrupted.

Also, Buddha promissed that His Faith would be renewed. Shoghi writes in one of his Books called "God Passes By":

"He [Baha'u'llah] alone is meant by the prophecy attributed to Gautama Buddha Himself, that “a Buddha named Maitreye, the Buddha of universal fellowship” should, in the fullness of time, arise and reveal “His boundless glory.” To Him the Bhagavad-Gita of the Hindus had referred as the “Most Great Spirit,” the “Tenth Avatar,” the “Immaculate Manifestation of Krishna.”

You can also read from baha'i libraray regarding baha'i view on Buddha:

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/GPB/gpb-7.html.utf8?query=Buddha&action=highlight#gr15

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/ABL/abl-25.html.utf8?query=Buddha&action=highlight#gr1

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Sadly, many of these great "spiritual truths" are little more than common sense to anyone who is not a raving psychopath. I think that many religions take far more credit than they actually deserve. My thinking is that if a given religion did not echo the entrenched thinking of their day, there is little likelihood that they would have succeeded in swelling their ranks. Their homilies "play to the choir", upon which they can heap their assertions, for which, they have no evidence. It's almost directly from the P. T. Barnum playbook.

" A sucker is born every minute."-P. T. Barnum:thud:

Rainbow Mage

Investigate and where does that leave Buddhists who don't want to become Baha'is because we don't believe Baha'ullah's claims? I don't believe what Baha'ullah or Abdul' Baha claimed, despite my thinking they did teach good things, that I give them credit for. Do you even know the history of how the Buddhist writings were collected? I know Baha'is have to believe most of the Buddha's current teachings are corrupt to make him fit into their worldview, because the Buddha taught things not compatiable with Baha'i thinking like that we ultimately cannot know anything about any god, and any god we worship is based on unverified personal gnosis, because nothing about any god is objectively proveable. Baha'is would find it harder to reconcile Buddha with their faith if they accepted those parts of his teaching.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Investigate and where does that leave Buddhists who don't want to become Baha'is because we don't believe Baha'ullah's claims?

In my opinion, people are free to choose their religion or any belief they want.
But Baha'u'llah encouraged and taught people to investigate the truth independently, and then choose what makes sense to them to be the truth.

So, I supposed if someone investigates different religions and to him, let's say Buddhism is the truth, then so be it.

I don't believe what Baha'ullah or Abdul' Baha claimed, despite my thinking they did teach good things, that I give them credit for.

That's ok. though if any particular reason that you would like to discuss, I'll be happy to.

Do you even know the history of how the Buddhist writings were collected?
I don't know the details of it. My first guess is that, like Christianity, it was written or collected after Buddha passed away.

I know Baha'is have to believe most of the Buddha's current teachings are corrupt to make him fit into their worldview, because the Buddha taught things not compatible with Baha'i thinking

Actually, When people become Baha'is, lets say from a Christian or Muslim background, they also become believer of Buddha. According to the Baha'i scriptures, the spiritual station of all Manifestations of God are the same.

Can you give some examples that the Baha'i teachings and Buddha teachings are not compatible?

like that we ultimately cannot know anything about any god, and any god we worship is based on unverified personal gnosis, because nothing about any god is objectively provable. Baha'is would find it harder to reconcile Buddha with their faith if they accepted those parts of his teaching.

Actually this is somewhat similar to Baha'i view of God.
The Baha’is believe that, God cannot be imagined, therefore to know God is only possible through knowing His Manifestations. Therefore, whatever people think about God, is really what their mind imagines and has nothing to do with Truth.

Rainbow Mage

Can you give some examples that the Baha'i teachings and Buddha teachings are not compatible?

Only with the Baha'i faith's objective claims of truths regarding god. I admit that besides that, they are pretty much compatible. The Buddha, however, did not claim to teach on behalf of a higher power. He did make mention of Brahman and the devas, showing that he personally believed they existed, but he didn't make much mention of their natures or their place in the universe. He taught agnosticism in the matter of god's nature to his followers, in order to allow both theists and atheists to approach his teaching and practice. Does the Baha'i faith do that, make it so that an atheist can be a practicing Baha'i? The Buddha did do that, he didn't want to prevent any from practicing his teaching who wanted to, even if the person was atheist.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
The Buddha, however, did not claim to teach on behalf of a higher power.

I think, the fact that Buddha is believed that was enlightend under the Tree, can say, that He was enlightened by some greater being(s).
I thought that among Buddhists, there is at least a view, that belives in Oneness of God.

Anyways, regarding that, this is what Abdulbaha said:

"The founder of Buddhism was a wonderful soul. He established the Oneness of God, but later the original principles of His doctrines gradually disappeared, and ignorant customs and ceremonials arose and increased until they finally ended in the worship of statues and images." Some Answered Questions

Does the Baha'i faith do that, make it so that an atheist can be a practicing Baha'i?

yes, to some degree. Anybody can use whatever the teachings they like from Baha'i Faith.

there are many gatherings in the Baha'i faith in almost all towns. Most of them even don't require someone to be a Baha'i to attend them.
For example there are devotional gatherings where people can say a prayer from any faith, such as Buddha or just go for social gatherings or festivals.

Now, having said that, to be a registered Baha'i, would require that one believes that Baha'u'llah is the Manifestation of God for this Age. A registered Baha'i can participate in voting and other official Baha’i gatherings, such as the 19-day feast. Also, contributing to the Baha'i Funds is only accepted from a registered Baha’i. Other than these, all other aspects of it can be practiced by non-Baha’i friends.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Now, having said that, to be a registered Baha'i, would require that one believes that Baha'u'llah is the Manifestation of God for this Age. A registered Baha'i can participate in voting and other official Baha’i gatherings, such as the 19-day feast. Also, contributing to the Baha'i Funds is only accepted from a registered Baha’i. Other than these, all other aspects of it can be practiced by non-Baha’i friends.

See I already know that. I have Baha'i friends and attend Baha'i functions here. I think you guys are wonderful folks, even if I don't believe like you. What I said is I believe Buddha intentionally left god for the most part undefined and undiscussed, so that Atheists could also approach his message. Spirituality is important, even for Atheists. Buddha was one of the first world teachers to acknowledge this, that even Atheists desire spirituality, and he made his message able to accomadate such. I am not denying Buddha may not have been illumined by a higher power, but Buddha didn't say that, so I can only speculate. As for Buddhists having statues, we don't actually worship the statues, at least not of Buddha. Bowing is a gesture of respect in eastern culture, and bowing to a statue of someone you respect is quite common. It doesn't necessarily entail worship.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think, the fact that Buddha is believed that was enlightend under the Tree, can say, that He was enlightened by some greater being(s).

I have never heard any reference to that supposed greater being.

The idea doesn't fit at all well with what is actually in the Tipitaka, either.

You could claim that it is not specifically denied, but really, that is grasping at straws.

I thought that among Buddhists, there is at least a view, that believes in Oneness of God.

Again, that is not specifically forbidden. But I am not aware of true concepts of God in Buddhism.

Even the Hinduist deities that we inherited are basically said to not be true deities, and in fact to be at a handicap of sorts compared to human beings.

Anyways, regarding that, this is what Abdulbaha said:

"The founder of Buddhism was a wonderful soul. He established the Oneness of God, but later the original principles of His doctrines gradually disappeared, and ignorant customs and ceremonials arose and increased until they finally ended in the worship of statues and images." Some Answered Questions

That sure reminds one of the Muslim opinion about Christianity and Judaism: it used to be correct, but lost its way, so follow us instead.

I guess everyone is free to believe in that, but really, it is much like wanting to have the cake and eat it too.

Sometimes I wonder why the Bahai Faith claims influence of the Dharmic religions. It's very Abrahamic approach to religion really makes one wonder if it even understands what Dharma is.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Sometimes I wonder why the Bahai Faith claims influence of the Dharmic religions.

Actually the Baha'i Faith does not claim to be influenced by any religion.
The baha'i Faith claims that, it is an independent world religion, that has the most recent message for the humanity, and It 'confirms' other Manifestations of God to be the True Manifestations from the same God.

Senedjem and LuisDantas; But I am just wandering for my own learning. Isn't it the Buddhist belief that, there would be a Promissed One that would come and teach again?

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Senedjem and LuisDantas; But I am just wandering for my own learning. Isn't it the Buddhist belief that, there would be a Promissed One that would come and teach again?

There is a traditional narrative that says upon the time of the Buddha's death he spoke of one called the Maitreya who would come and teach the dharma in a time the world had no more dharma, but was in a complete state of no religion. This is a traditional narrative and not to be taken at face value. Other narratives about the Maitreya give certain signs of his birth and death, and the number of followers he will have. I personally speculate, but claim with no certain knowledge, that Jesus may have been the Maitreya, but not the Christian Jesus, the Gnostic one. The differences between Buddhism and Gnosticism are about the difference between salt and crystal.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
There is a traditional narrative that says upon the time of the Buddha's death he spoke of one called the Maitreya who would come and teach the dharma in a time the world had no more dharma, but was in a complete state of no religion. This is a traditional narrative and not to be taken at face value. Other narratives about the Maitreya give certain signs of his birth and death, and the number of followers he will have. I personally speculate, but claim with no certain knowledge, that Jesus may have been the Maitreya, but not the Christian Jesus, the Gnostic one. The differences between Buddhism and Gnosticism are about the difference between salt and crystal.

Ok, so, seems like Buddha had predicated the need for someone to come again.
Did Buddha give any signs that would be used to recognize the Maitreya?

Actually, Baha'u'llah also talked about another Manifestation who shall come in 1000 years or so.

Last edited: