• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth in all the World's Religions?

Orias

Left Hand Path
well, some forms of satanism believe in only the self, while others are completely for self denial

I understand how you could that as being contradictory, but would you please take time to see it from my view.

You are right, some forms of "satanism" do only chose to believe in the self, while others "deny" the self, but by these means they both accomplish one thing, to overcome any Opposition.

Realistically, they are both forms of "self belief", simply because one encourages you to do "good" things and the other discourages you to do "bad" things.

some cliam reality is an illusion while others say this is all there is

Again, I actually see this as two peices fitting together, simply because illusions do not have limits, which makes reality deluded, simply because we do not know.

It goes beyond the physical aspect, and delves deep into the psychological part.

So I have a question for you (somewhat).

Describe power, and what makes one "powerful".

some talk about only loving others, while some actively encourage bigotry...

I find this statement a bit narrow minded.

I love all of my family and my girlfriend.

Sure, it is a different type of "love", but it doesn't mean I love my family any less than my girlfriend.

What I get from your statement is that it's contradictory to love more than one person.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Tarasan can all these things you mentioned still be approaches to the same end? Like the Hindus say: many roads to enlightenment. Can a person believing reality is all there is still achieve the same end as one believing it's an illusion? I would say yes, they could still be two roads to the same thing. Asceticism is about transcendence, and self-indulgence to many is also about transcendence. That isn't to say these two paths are equal in merit or ethics, but they still lead to one end.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences? To use an example, Muhammad. Muhammad put the majority of his life into reforming what was an extremely barbaric society. He did have time to teach good things in-between, but most of us his life had to be devoted to defending himself against attackers. How different would Muhammad have been if he had lived in a society that allowed him to be more easy going? Even Muhammad taught very similarly to other teachers, but cultural differences sometimes obscure that. Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?
They may include global instinctual truths 'enlightened' men and women think of in various societies and cultures across the globe. simple things like the golden rule, be kind to others because it makes sense, don't provoke a powerful enemy- this is one thing both Jesus and some of the Jewish prophets have agreed on.
however, when it comes to 'spiritual' and fundamental truths. no I don't really believe that for the most part.
for example, Jesus might have said many things I agree with. but not because he was holy for saying it, but because its something any decent Jewish man would say and think anyway. Christian dogma as a whole though is something I have pretty much an instinctual knee jerk reaction to, it stands against everything my instincts tell me.
Ironically, while Islam today is the rival of people who carry the Jewish tradition, the basic wisdom of Islam is something that is engraved in my instincts whether I can fight it or not. things like hospitality and manners, passion and respect. however I'm guessing that when it comes to the 'big universal truths' me and the Prophet would not see eye to eye on most things. and that's OK. Saladin, the most legendary Muslim ruler had Maimonides, perhaps one of the most legendary Jews as his court's physician, Maimonides criticized Islamic dogma and justified Jewish one day in and day out.
as long as the alliance and friendship are strong, there is no need to share the same religious dogma.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Heaven forbid that none of them are "true", eh?
Hallelujah!
I think we have a winner.
I think this sums it up quite well. instead of looking why your religious view is 'true', try and examine the possibility that you are all wrong on some of the most fundamental truths or dogmas. or at least need to redefine them and update them from the beta version.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Tarasan can all these things you mentioned still be approaches to the same end? Like the Hindus say: many roads to enlightenment. Can a person believing reality is all there is still achieve the same end as one believing it's an illusion? I would say yes, they could still be two roads to the same thing. Asceticism is about transcendence, and self-indulgence to many is also about transcendence. That isn't to say these two paths are equal in merit or ethics, but they still lead to one end.

All roads lead to Rome :D

How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences? To use an example, Muhammad. Muhammad put the majority of his life into reforming what was an extremely barbaric society. He did have time to teach good things in-between, but most of us his life had to be devoted to defending himself against attackers. How different would Muhammad have been if he had lived in a society that allowed him to be more easy going? Even Muhammad taught very similarly to other teachers, but cultural differences sometimes obscure that. Do you think it's true that all the world's religions contain truth?

Because those who suffer for their beliefs are considered prophets by many, if not the majority of those who believe in religion. We have figures in history pointing at moments in the earths history that coincide with religious events.
That is why the knowledge gained by religions that have been around since the universe began are powerful to those who understand their religions benefits.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I do... I think each religion is meant for the culture it is given to. Creator doesn't have any one version of anything else, why would there be one religion?

The religion of desert dwelling herdsmen isn't necessarily going to work for temperate forest dwelling farmers or arctic hunters and vice-versa.

wa:do

lockyfan

I do... I think each religion is meant for the culture it is given to. Creator doesn't have any one version of anything else, why would there be one religion?

The religion of desert dwelling herdsmen isn't necessarily going to work for temperate forest dwelling farmers or arctic hunters and vice-versa.

The bible tells us that there will be only one religion. Yes they are created for the culture but are the correct one who teaches the truth according to God's Will?

Orias

Left Hand Path
The bible tells us that there will be only one religion. Yes they are created for the culture but are the correct one who teaches the truth according to God's Will?

It is often spoke of that those who follow one book, takes the rest of humankind with them.

God's will...please, truth is the necromancer of the dead. All senses are belittled and distored by what we call perception.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The Bible says a lot of things... like how to own slaves and how best to kill people. I think we should be careful before we declare our books the truth about "God's Will".

lockyfan

The Bible says a lot of things... like how to own slaves and how best to kill people. I think we should be careful before we declare our books the truth about "God's Will".

It also tells us useful things like how to live our lives comfortably and how to show others respect. It is more about good then evil!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How true do you think this is? That all the world's religions probably have some truth, and all the founders of those religions taught a similar message, except for cultural differences?

All over the earth we see religious culture or cultural bias.

So, what we need to do is step back and look at the BIG picture by tracing mankind's religious family tree back to its roots in Mesopotamia.

As the ancient peoples migrated from ancient Babylon they took with them their old religious customs and practices and spread those concepts and ideas world wide into a greater religious Babylon or Babylon the Great.

After first-century Christianity ended, those ancient non-Christians beliefs crept into and became mixed with what is now more of a large scale 'so-called Christianity' differing from what Jesus taught.

-See Matthew chapter 7

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

How does one kill people according to: Matthew 26v52; Rev 13v10?

'Thou shall not kill' is quite different from an 'execution' for justice sake.
-Isaiah 11v4

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How does one kill people according to: Matthew 26v52; Rev 13v10?

'Thou shall not kill' is quite different from an 'execution' for justice sake.
-Isaiah 11v4
Ah, because killing a young woman for not being a virgin or not shouting loudly enough while being raped is "just".... Ok.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm going to post this in its entirety instead of just posting a link, since I think it's more likely people will actually read it this way. Please don't assume from the title that it pertains only to Christians. It is written by Daniel Peterson, a professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic at BYU.

Trying to make their view seem merely a minor logical extension of my own, several atheistic acquaintances have assured me that there is little difference between us: They just happen to disbelieve in one more god than I do.

They seem to imagine that being a Latter-day Saint entails rejecting all non-Mormon religious experiences and disbelieving every doctrine of every other faith. This, however, is not true.

When Joseph Smith learned that the then-existing Christian churches were corrupt, that didn't mean that they were totally wrong. To say that something is "corrupt" means that it has been damaged. We speak of "corrupted texts" or "corrupted files," intending to say that they have been infected or tainted — not that their original content has been replaced by something completely different.

In fact, many mainstream Christian doctrines were and are substantially correct. There is indeed a God. He has a divine Son who came to earth, atoned for our sins, rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of his Father. Those who taught prayer, preached of the Savior and translated the New Testament during the centuries between the early apostles and the Restoration preserved and transmitted many central gospel truths.

But what about non-Christians? Do they worship false gods?

Jews certainly don't. Believing Jews accept the Old Testament, venerating the God who brought Israel out of Egypt, spoke through the prophet Isaiah and was proclaimed by Jesus (a Palestinian Jew).

But what of Islam? Isn't "Allah" a false god? No. According to the Qur'an, Allah created the earth in six days, placed Adam and Eve in Eden, and then inspired prophets like Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus. Sound familiar?

"Allah" is simply the Arabic equivalent of English "God," related to the Hebrew "Elohim." Moreover, Allah is the God not only of Muslims but of all Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews. "In the beginning, (Allah) created the heavens and the earth," reads Arabic Genesis. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with (Allah), and the Word was (Allah)," says the Arabic version of John 1:1. "We believe in (Allah), the Eternal Father," says the first Article of Faith in Arabic, "and in his Son, Jesus Christ."

Muslims, Christians and Jews disagree about God, but that doesn't create numerically different gods. My neighbor regards Senator Foghorn as the greatest orator since Daniel Webster; I think he's a noxious windbag. But there is, mercifully, only one Senator Foghorn. Our different opinions don't spawn multiple senators.

But what of the non-Abrahamic religions? Are they too far wrong? It seems presumptuous to declare that mistaken but sincere devotion means nothing to our loving Father in Heaven.

In fact, Christians have been quite willing over the centuries to equate Zeus, the supreme ruler and father of the Greek Gods (the Romans' Jupiter or Jove), with the God of Christian belief. Shakespeare's Juliet chides Romeo from her balcony with a close paraphrase of the pagan Roman poet Ovid: "At lovers' perjuries, they say, Jove laughs." The great medieval Christian poet Dante says that it was Jove who died on the cross ("Purgatorio" 6:118-119).

When the apostle Paul, preaching on Mars Hill, sought to connect with the pagan Athenians (Acts 17:24-28), he identified Zeus with Israel's God: "For in him we live and move and have our being," he taught, quoting the words about Zeus of a sixth-century B.C. Cretan philosopher. "As some of your own poets have said," he continued, citing a third-century B.C. philosopher's verse about Zeus, "'we are his offspring.'"

In the final volume of C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia," a Calormene soldier named Emeth (= Hebrew "truth") has been a sincere worshiper of the false god Tash all of his life. When, at the end, he meets Aslan and recognizes the true God, he expects severe punishment. But Aslan graciously reassures him that "all the service thou hast done to Tash, I accept as service done to me," explaining that, although Emeth had been unaware of it, his honest devotion was actually to Aslan, rather than to Tash. "No service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him."

God's sheep recognize his voice, even when it's in a different language or imperfectly heard. They follow him as best they can and will not lose their reward.