• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth or Propoganda?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Is this poster true or just propaganda?

cant-coexist.jpg

IMO I don't think I have seen so many broad stereotypes and generalizations of so many different groups in such a small package before.

A

angellous_evangellous

I think that it's meant to be entertaining, which to me it is.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
"True" or not, it's still clever. As for the generalizations, you're correct that most of these statements are very broad, though the beliefs and practices of hardline and "fundamentalist" followers of each of those faiths are pretty accurately described, with a few exceptions (for example, I don't think any common form of Judaism considers itself in a cosmic war to eliminate Christians or Muslims, though frequently followers of the latter two feel that way about everyone else).

A. T. Henderson

R&P refugee
Quite a lot of that doesn't even make sense. They've had to stretch pretty far to find problems for some of them, Taoism and Paganism in particular, while ignoring the fact that the same arguments ought to apply to the Peace and Gay Rights things as well.

It's definitely ignoring the interpretations of all of the listed belief systems which do allow for perfectly reasonable coexistence. and more damningly, it skips over the conclusion that, while they say only humanism and atheism allow for coexistence, that directly implies that neither can coexist with any of the represented faiths.

So yeah, it's propaganda. And sloppy propaganda at that.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Jewish person claim Judaism is the only way - it's just their own God's preferred way, which isn't terribly surprising given that they made the God so they get to decide what he/she/it likes - just like everyone else.

I think the point of the poster is that religion can be very divisive and polarizing. That's generally true when it is taken too seriously or is based on an egocentric or ethnocentric and disrespectful view of others. But religion doesn't have to be approached that way, and increasingly isn't as we get to know each other better.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It didn't mention Buddhism.

I will throw something and go sulk in a corner now hoping someone will notice me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It didn't mention Buddhism.
I will throw something and go sulk in a corner now hoping someone will notice me.
Now you know how Revoltifarians feel.
We aren't hated or feared....we aren't even noticed.
But I notice Buddhists because they're so unnoticable. (That's a good thing.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Now you know how Revoltifarians feel.
We aren't hated or feared....we aren't even noticed.
But I notice Buddhists because they're so unnoticable. (That's a good thing.)

Hmmmm, you may have a point. I am a ninja, you know.

Okay. I'm done hijacking another thread and making it all about me. You all can now go back to your regular programming.

Carry on.

Propaganda! Whoot!! :bounce