• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Truth" What is it?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait, so you believe that some people do have the ability to know and not others?
No, maybe... really I'm not sure... maybe not all have the opportunity, maybe some are given to know and others are not, maybe all have the opportunity but not all actualize it... I don't know.

Well who determines who those people are and how do they somehow rank above others in the ability to know department? What makes them "special"?
God. Special? I wouldn't say so... The Bible actually tells us that knowledge of God is lower in ranking than not knowing.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, reality is subjective as well. How I see things, how I see the world in front of me may vary greatly with how you view it.
Perception does not equal reality.

My experiences differ from yours, so my perceptions of "reality" differ from yours. Which reality must "truth" correspond with? Your version or mine?
Again, perception is not reality. Our perception is true in as much as it corresponds to reality which exists outside of our subjective experiences of it. There are no "versions".

Draka

Wonder Woman
No, maybe... really I'm not sure... maybe not all have the opportunity, maybe some are given to know and others are not, maybe all have the opportunity but not all actualize it... I don't know.
That being the case, isn't it just as likely then, that the ones who actually have the opportunity and the ability to know are...Hindus? Maybe Druids? Unless one can know who has access to "truth" then one must acknowledge that any could have "truth", still making all paths just as valid as another.

God. Special? I wouldn't say so... The Bible actually tells us that knowledge of God is lower in ranking than not knowing.

And how do we mere humans decipher who those people are? As there are many gods that could possibly be doing the choosing, it's kind of hard to tell who to believe isn't it? I mean, the bible is just one of many scriptures/mythology books to go by, so how do we determine what to follow if we don't even know the prime deity to look towards?

This still goes back to having to accept that all paths are valid to follow as "truths" as no one can validate any firm objective "truth".

Draka

Wonder Woman
Perception does not equal reality.

Again, perception is not reality. Our perception is true in as much as it corresponds to reality which exists outside of our subjective experiences of it. There are no "versions".

Then, there is nothing in "objective reality" that corresponds and corroborates any religious "truths".

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Draka said:
Unless one can know who has access to "truth" then one must acknowledge that any could have "truth", still making all paths just as valid as another.
Or one is already among those who have knowledge ;)

Also, as I said before, merely lacking knowledge about the validity of various paths does not mean all paths are equally valid. If Buddhism is true and I reincarnate as a slug, Christianity is not valid... this does not change based on ability to divine that Buddhism is true.

And how do we mere humans decipher who those people are?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait said:
maybe you missed it, she said reality is subjective...
Maybe you missed it, I disagreed.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait said:
doesn't that mean verifiable?
Why would it?

Draka said:
Then, there is nothing in "objective reality" that corresponds and corroborates any religious "truths".
That is not a necessary conclusion from my belief.

blackout

Violet.
doesn't that mean verifiable?

Except that human beings are not capable of verifying every'thing.

Of course we could correspond things to "our collective reality",
where we are at in history, what we currently (think we) know,
(as a society)
but that does not necessarily say anything about the "correctness"
of our "conclusion/s".

We "verify" through systems.
The best we can REALLY say
is that a thing "verifies through our system".

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Or one is already among those who have knowledge ;)

Also, as I said before, merely lacking knowledge about the validity of various paths does not mean all paths are equally valid. If Buddhism is true and I reincarnate as a slug, Christianity is not valid... this does not change based on ability to divine that Buddhism is true.
You seem to confuse the ideas of "absolute truth" and "valid path". Fact of the matter is, since it is impossible to know for certain what any supposed "absolute truth" may be, then all paths and beliefs are just as valid options to follow and consider as "truth" as another.

Look, you don't know for certain that Christianity is the absolute truth of how things are. For all you know the absolute truth could be closer to Animism or Shamanism. However, since no one can validate and know for sure what the absolute truth may be, then your choice to believe that Christianity holds the most truth for you is perfectly valid. Just as someone else finding truth in Buddhism, Wicca, or Judaism. Without firm validation of any absolute...all paths are valid to follow and consider to be truths for the people following them.

Also, it's late and I'm exhausted so I'm heading off to bed now. Will check back tomorrow. G'nite all.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
for example, we dont believe in survival of the soul after death because the bible says "the dead are conscious of nothing"
"you will return to the dust for out of it you were taken"
"his spirit goes out...in that day, his thoughts do perish"
"the dead are conscious of nothing at all"

we believe that when we die, we return to the dust. We cease to exist. We do not live on in some other form...we are not immortal. We believe that is true because God has said it is what happens to us when we die.

I believe the bible is the word of God, i believe what he says to be true.

You still didn't support your claim.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Maybe you missed it, I disagreed.

looks like you agreed....
"perception does not equal reality..."

"reality is subjective as well"

can you explain the difference?
to prove the truth by presentation of evidence
vs.
the state of agreeing or conforming.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Except that human beings are not capable of verifying every'thing.

Of course we could correspond things to "our collective reality",
where we are at in history, what we currently (think we) know,
(as a society)
but that does not necessarily say anything about the "correctness"
of our "conclusion/s".

We "verify" through systems.
The best we can REALLY say
is that a thing "verifies through our system".
i agree,
not everything is verifiable
which is subjective...
we can verify other things, we know we revolve around the sun...
that is objective.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
You seem to confuse the ideas of "absolute truth" and "valid path".
Not at all. I was using valid in the sense that a path is only valid if it leads where you want/expect it to go. If the religions that say we are all traveling towards God on our paths are true, then my Christianity would remain a valid path, even though it would not be absolutely true.

Without firm validation of any absolute...
I have as firm a validation as I do for anything.

Also, it's late and I'm exhausted so I'm heading off to bed now. Will check back tomorrow. G'nite all.
Good night :)