• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sides of a coin?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are they? ;)

Yep. I believe I have five fingers on one hand. Now I believe I have six. Now seven. That doesnt change the Fact I have five.

A persons religion is not beliefs but its that one fact that whatever they hold true is reality. To switch reality is like my trying to put an extra finger on my hand.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe you could have a break from trying to find a religious identity, and just be yourself for a while?

This is an observation. This has nothing to do with what I believe; what I see as fact in terms of religion.

Can you see my confusion, though?I believe religion is a fact to the person who lives it. (Say me) to change my belief is tonadd that extra finger.

My OP is, how can people do that? The key: In such a short time period

(My questions arent for myself unless I actually say that)

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
My OP is, how can people do that?
(My questions arent for myself unless I actually say that)

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about yourself. Well, presumably it means that people are holding beliefs lightly, or maybe trying beliefs out for size. In any case they're not defining themselves by what they believe.

A Vestigial Mote

Its an observation and general question of how one can believe in X then change to Y which is completely contrary to X then say they are Z but then go backnto X again.

Religion is a persons life. If one day you are bowing to Christ and another to Vishnu (and my point= and you go to Buddha and then to God of abraham), what does thst persons reality look like? How do they live these beliefs if they dont let one change them before switching to the next?

I think it is going too far to say that "religion is a person's life". I would certainly never make such an assertion. I don't believe that statement in the slightest. Religion is certainly not my life... at all.

And the example you gave - that person's reality looks like whatever it looks like to them. And they are allowed their reality. We can judge them all we want - ridicule them for their flippant choices - and indeed, I wouldn't personally think that person had all their marbles in-hand, but am I the authority on their reality? No, I am not. I don't get to impose what I feel comfortable with on their decision-making process. They are allowed their delusions, whether transient or not - just like everyone else.

Do you believe that just because a person's delusions about the possibilities of an all but unknowable realm are more consistent for a longer period of time that they trump others' delusions that are more erratic?

Rick O'Shez

That is one thing religion is, a persons life.

But surely it's a question of degree. Just labelling oneself as X or Y religion doesn't necessarily mean that one is practising that religion in any serious way. Some do, many don't.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about yourself. Well, presumably it means that people are holding beliefs lightly, or maybe trying beliefs out for size. In any case they're not defining themselves by what they believe.

Which is, well, confusing. How can one not. I mean, I know you cant answer for everyone, but if religion/beliefs they choose are not something they want to live their life by, why choose it? What is the definition of belief/religion to a person who can choose it on whim?

Interesting.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yep. I believe I have five fingers on one hand. Now I believe I have six. Now seven. That doesnt change the Fact I have five.

A persons religion is not beliefs but its that one fact that whatever they hold true is reality. To switch reality is like my trying to put an extra finger on my hand.
I think you are allowing your words to lead you....

I have five fingers ...both hands....
but do so many various skills.
most of my peers are well to accomplish any one skill

the number of fingers are the same.....
but they would have to change their mind set....sharply.....to catch up to me!

Rick O'Shez

...if religion/beliefs they choose are not something they want to live their life by, why choose it?

Not everyone takes religion that seriously. It's like politics, some people join a party and get really involved and go door-knocking before elections, others just cast their vote every 4 or 5 years.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you believe that just because a person's delusions about the possibilities of an all but unknowable realm are more consistent for a longer period of time that they trump others' delusions that are more erratic?

Religion as in a core set of morals you hold important in your life. It can be your family. It could be yourself. It could be god. However you follow those core morals: taking csre of family. Take care of self. "Or" Worship god. Is religion.

If my core morals is to worship Christ then Vishnu wouldnt be my reality. If I changed overnight to Vishnu, Christ wouldnt be my reality.

My reality no matter what colors I paint it will always be plain underneath. To change whats under the colors without growing into that change "staggers" me.

No opinion if its good or bad to view that way.

(Observation not judgement)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But surely it's a question of degree. Just labelling oneself as X or Y religion doesn't necessarily mean that one is practising that religion in any serious way. Some do, many don't.

Exactly. Do you think people Can change that fast in a serious way or maybe its coping to change? Practice is important true.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Religion as in a core set of morals you hold important in your life. It can be your family. It could be yourself. It could be god. However you follow those core morals: taking csre of family. Take care of self. "Or" Worship god. Is religion.

If my core morals is to worship Christ then Vishnu wouldnt be my reality. If I changed overnight to Vishnu, Christ wouldnt be my reality.

My reality no matter what colors I paint it will always be plain underneath. To change whats under the colors without growing into that change "staggers" me.

No opinion if its good or bad to view that way.

(Observation not judgement)
are you focusing on the shallow mind and heart?
like those mentioned in the parable of the Sower

A Vestigial Mote

When a brain injury sustained in but a fraction of a second can destroy nearly all that you once were and leave you without any of the above things you listed, or incapable of reclaiming your endeavor for such things, I think it is pretty safe to say that human experience can (and has) run the gamut of why such a change happens, when it happens, how it happens, how long it takes, etc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That may well be true for you. It is not for everyone, though.

People may and do change emotional state for various reasons or even for no discernible reason, sometimes abruptly. Religious belief is somewhat different, but sometimes not that much.

Is it conceivable that you have a set of moral and/or religious values and has been blinking in and out of certainty that those are strictly connected to God?

I suppose that may feel disturbing, but it is (IMO) no big deal really. Then again, I am quite certain that God is a personification of values and therefore a matter of personal style as opposed to an actual need.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
are you focusing on the shallow mind and heart?
like those mentioned in the parable of the Sower

Its like saying that "It is a fact that god exist" then saying "it is a fact he does not" in a short time frame. Yet, facts dont change. So, unless they know both are facts or both or not, how can one change from one fact to its polar opposite?

In religion, we grow into it when we adopt a faith. That should be our fact (imo) our reality. Just as god is to a christian. To change my belief (OP-In such a small time period) is confusing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
When a brain injury sustained in but a fraction of a second can destroy nearly all that you once were and leave you without any of the above things you listed, or incapable of reclaiming your endeavor for such things, I think it is pretty safe to say that human experience can (and has) run the gamut of why such a change happens, when it happens, how it happens, how long it takes, etc.

I dont understand how that relates to religion. We grow in religion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That may well be true for you. It is not for everyone, though.

People may and do change emotional state for various reasons or even for no discernible reason, sometimes abruptly. Religious belief is somewhat different, but sometimes not that much.

Is it conceivable that you have a set of moral and/or religious values and has been blinking in and out of certainty that those are strictly connected to God?

I suppose that may feel disturbing, but it is (IMO) no big deal really. Then again, I am quite certain that God is a personification of values and therefore a matter of personal style as opposed to an actual need.

Its an observation, really. If you know god exists. Then tomorrow, you know he does not. Then the next you know Ordin exist. The next everything is consciousness, that dramatic switch in different belief systems in a short time period staggers me.

I mean, I can close my eyes real tight, belief in my heart of hearts that my ancestors are not alive in me, and that wont make it all of the sudden false. I just wouldnt believe it anymore. Since I know. I cant change that fact. I can ignore it. Practice something else. Believe its something else. That doesnt change the fact it is not something else.

I notice people who believe in god (in person) really know whst they believe is a fact. That is their life. If I asked them to change their belief in a day, theyd look at me crazy. I understand why.