• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umm, a Discussion About Hell

Francis

UBER-Christian
Well, a lot of people here seem to think that Hell is a place of eternal and infinite torment. well, it is. but, people seem to stop the understanding here, and go on calling God names and what-not. Well, not very many people seem to actually understand the entire concept (at least, not as i have been taught). As far as i know, hell is a place of eternal pain and suffering because it is where God is not. Basically, it's existence completely without God. And, he doesn't just throw you into the pit. I'm under the impression that you "imprint" on your mortal sin (whatever that might mean) and reject Him for eternity. Well, at least, that's what I've been taught. Am i wrong? Peace!

.lava

Veteran Member
Well, a lot of people here seem to think that Hell is a place of eternal and infinite torment. well, it is. but, people seem to stop the understanding here, and go on calling God names and what-not. Well, not very many people seem to actually understand the entire concept (at least, not as i have been taught). As far as i know, hell is a place of eternal pain and suffering because it is where God is not. Basically, it's existence completely without God. And, he doesn't just throw you into the pit. I'm under the impression that you "imprint" on your mortal sin (whatever that might mean) and reject Him for eternity. Well, at least, that's what I've been taught. Am i wrong? Peace!

hi :)
everything we have in this world considered as a favor from God. when these favors were taking away, then it is hell and you're right hell is without God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
If one is separate from the Abrahamic God now, are they currently in hell and not aware?
If ones only mortal sin is to reject the Abrahamic God, how is that imprinted on their soul?

.lava

Veteran Member
If one is separate from the Abrahamic God now, are they currently in hell and not aware?

alive people are still living with and in favor of God. i think this is the main point. i mean, food, fruits, water, sunlight, colors...etc everything is a favor as long as we are alive. if one does not believe it is favor from God, then (according to my belief) they would find out it was a favor from God when favor was taken away after death and it would be too late to be thankful for those favors.

in general people call "pleasure" happiness. for us, happiness is peace within one's self. one might get pleaure but pleasure would not give him peace. after pleasure comes pain then pleasure again. so people spend their lives inbetween too and they can not find continues peace which wecall real happiness. i can call that up and downs hell, but it is not real hell. it just shows which direction one takes.

blackout

Violet.

Where is gOd not?

What "stuff" is not by it's very existence "gOd stuff".

What "other" kind of "stuff" is there?

What is "non gOd" stuff made out of?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to believe along the easter line of thought... When we die we all end up in God's love, how we react to that love determines whether we experience heaven or hell...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As far as i know, hell is a place of eternal pain and suffering because it is where God is not.
If that is the case then one cannot say that god is omnipresent, then again, I was never much of a fan of the concept of Hell.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
in general people call "pleasure" happiness. for us, happiness is peace within one's self. one might get pleaure but pleasure would not give him peace. after pleasure comes pain then pleasure again.[/FONT]

Wow. That's awfully reminiscent of Dharmic religions.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

When religion was invented they needed a place of punishment to threaten the masses with that mirrored heaven to which they promised good things if the masses stood in line and didn't complain.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Hell is a man-made concept and something that we subject ourselves and others to by being unkind and selfish, not some hypothetical deity.

Francis

UBER-Christian
Well, i'm really not sure, but i think that it's separate from God because you are continually choosing to reject Him, kinda like what someone else said. It's what you choose that determines Heaven or Hell. And, so i think that hell and Heaven are reqally just what we make them, maybe. peace!

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
alive people are still living with and in favor of God. i think this is the main point. i mean, food, fruits, water, sunlight, colors...etc everything is a favor as long as we are alive. if one does not believe it is favor from God, then (according to my belief) they would find out it was a favor from God when favor was taken away after death and it would be too late to be thankful for those favors.

So... the absence of the pleasures and necessities we enjoy in life is hell.
Is one aware of the absence? Does this absence last for eternity, or is it simply death?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
When religion was invented they needed a place of punishment to threaten the masses with that mirrored heaven to which they promised good things if the masses stood in line and didn't complain.

Except one of the earliest concepts of what would later become the common idea for hell came from a culture that didn't have an overseeing monarchy: the Greeks. They were just city-states.

Now, I wouldn't put it past the early Catholic church to have adopted the Greek Tartarus and use it in their doctrine as a way to control the masses. But not the ones who came up with the early concepts.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well, i'm really not sure, but i think that it's separate from God because you are continually choosing to reject Him,
Are you suggesting that being in hell is dependent on continually choosing? If this is the case that it is a choice, then they could at anytime choose differently (if they can’t choose differently then it is not a choice and they are not continually choosing). So you are suggesting that people in hell could choose to get out of there at any time. Interesting.

Arkwort

Eternal Dreamer
Well, i'm really not sure, but i think that it's separate from God because you are continually choosing to reject Him, kinda like what someone else said. It's what you choose that determines Heaven or Hell. And, so i think that hell and Heaven are reqally just what we make them, maybe. peace!

How do you know your rejecting a real being as opposed to a fairytale?:beach:

Arkwort

Andal

resident hypnotist
we don't believe in eternal damnation. there are hellish worlds one can go to but that is solely dependent on our karma and has nothing to do with our belief or disbelief in God. there is also no where that God is not, including the hells. we go there through the actions we create but we will also leave there and have another shot.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Whoever your master is, looks after you. And you owe him. IF God is your provider and master, you return to god, if satan was your provider you return to him. The lake of fire are for those who owe satan. Heaven is for those who owe god their life. Seems pretty fair to me. The point is that the lake of fire wont be a great place, because satan is a ruthless master. Therefore it will not be very nice to go there. Nor is it smart to owe him.

Heneni

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Whoever your master is, looks after you. And you owe him. IF God is your provider and master, you return to god, if satan was your provider you return to him. The lake of fire are for those who owe satan. Heaven is for those who owe god their life. Seems pretty fair to me. The point is that the lake of fire wont be a great place, because satan is a ruthless master. Therefore it will not be very nice to go there. Nor is it smart to owe him.

Heneni

What if you are your own master? Where do you go then?