• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN recommends edible insects

apophenia

UN: Eat more insects; good for you, good for world
ROME (AFP) - Beetles, caterpillars and wasps could supplement diets around the world as an environmentally friendly food source if only Western consumers could get over their "disgust", the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said on Monday.
"The main message is really: 'Eat insects'", Eva Mueller, director of forest economics at the FAO, told a press conference in Rome.
"Insects are abundant and they are a valuable source of protein and minerals," she said.
"Two billion people -- a third of the world's population -- are already eating insects because they are delicious and nutritious," she said.

This could be the way of the future.

Insects are a way more efficient way of obtaining protein and don't produce greenhouse gases.

This could do away with cattle ranches.

I think I'll move on down to Montana, and grow me a crop of mealy worms. I'll eat them using my zircon-encrusted tweezers.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The cultural shock is a given, but there is really nothing wrong with the recommendation. It does make a lot of sense.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
UN: Eat more insects; good for you, good for world

This could be the way of the future.

Insects are a way more efficient way of obtaining protein and don't produce greenhouse gases.

This could do away with cattle ranches.

I think I'll move on down to Montana, and grow me a crop of mealy worms. I'll eat them using my zircon-encrusted tweezers.

From friends who have eaten insects, or are currently enjoying various insects as part of their diets or as the occasional delicacy, I hear they're delicious.

I admit I've never tried any.

apophenia

From friends who have eaten insects, or are currently enjoying various insects as part of their diets or as the occasional delicacy, I hear they're delicious.

I admit I've never tried any.

I decided to eat a caterpillar which I found I had steamed with my broccoli. It was quite pleasant. Sweet and meaty. I also ate a few caterpillars from bottles of Mezcal Tequila. I can't remember anything about them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let the poor eat this.....
bowl%20of%20worms.jpg

I'll stick with this....
bacon.jpg

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Vegetarians, what do you think about munchin' on a widdy bitty beetle?

Personally, I believe them to be less sensitive than vertebrates, so they sit somewhere between plants and vertebrates when it comes to the convenience of avoiding eating them.

So it is much like eating meat in general; it should be avoided, if it is not too much disconfort.

Kerr

The cultural shock is a given, but there is really nothing wrong with the recommendation. It does make a lot of sense.
Lol, yeah, but it still seems a bit... weird... to me. Thats the cultural shock speaking, btw. And the vegetarian in me.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Sustainable, Free-range, Organic Locusts.....

The kids will love it.

Honestly, roasted in a little oil and garic, I'd get a second scoop.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you eat fast food, you've eaten bugs.
Bug parts are in all grain based products. They never bothered me.

Hey! It occurs to me how to sell bug food.....mash'm up, pour on the gravy, & call it Michigan Poutine!