• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN recommends edible insects

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I haven't eaten any insects. A few guys I knew who went through SEAR training in the armed forces discovered which insects were tasty and which weren't, and told me of a few beetles they liked, how you really can eat worms if you're hungry enough, and which bugs they would rather banish forever from their palate-memory.

I wish I could remember which insects they recommended. One said there was a beetle out there that tastes like lemondrops. I didn't believe him until I saw him gathering these beetles with a super-excited look on his face. :D
If insect diet ever catches up, I'm sure we'll have some interesting menus. I believe that there are indiginous people who eat venomous Brazilian wandering spiders (to date the most venomous spider in the world), and other people who eat scorpions wholesale.
I have to say that many insects are probably much better in taste than the canned spam we ate from the Israeli combat rations, which sadistically becomes a preferred meal of acquired taste.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Never eaten insects. I've tried witchetty grubs a couple of times. I was figuring they'd taste like chicken, since, apart from bacon, pretty much everything does. But they were kinda okay, once you got your head around it. Having said that, I have an English grandfather who taught me to eat all sorts of strange crap.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If insect diet ever catches up, I'm sure we'll have some interesting menus. I believe that there are indiginous people who eat venomous Brazilian wandering spiders (to date the most venomous spider in the world), and other people who eat scorpions wholesale.
I have to say that many insects are probably much better in taste than the canned spam we ate from the Israeli combat rations, which sadistically becomes a preferred meal of acquired taste.

Well, it's entered into the consciousness of many people now, it's just a matter of time. I know it has taken time for people around here to still see eating reptiles as anything besides eating roadkill. A couple of restaraunts around here now offer turtle soup on Fridays along with their fish fry. People talk about how they'd gone south and tried alligator and found it to taste absolutely delicious.

I have seen a documentary here and there that showed indigenous tribes eating those very spiders you spoke of. The more people see it and speak with others who eat insects, the more establishments will find it profitable to distribute them to consumers.

Never eaten insects. I've tried witchetty grubs a couple of times. I was figuring they'd taste like chicken, since, apart from bacon, pretty much everything does. But they were kinda okay, once you got your head around it. Having said that, I have an English grandfather who taught me to eat all sorts of strange crap.

How did you have your grubs? And what kind of strange crap did your grandfather get you to eat? :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't really see anything too gross about it. But then again I've accidentally swallowed many insects before, intentionally ate some, unknowingly ate probably alot of them during my sleep.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Young people in the UK are reported as becoming averse to eating any meat they can recognise as to where it comes from.
But turn it into a burger and they love it.
I suspect the same wold be the case for insects and the like.
Not sure I would be keen to swallow a hornet head first.

Shermana

Heretic
If someone wants to open up a KFC, Kosher Fried Crickets with me, let me know, I may know a few investors.

Shadow Wolf

Reading over this thread it just occurred to me, that because I am going into anthropology I am sure I will be eating all sorts of bugs. And I can't even eat jello or bananas because the texture makes me gag.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Reading over this thread it just occurred to me, that because I am going into anthropology I am sure I will be eating all sorts of bugs. And I can't even eat jello or bananas because the texture makes me gag.

You're studying anthropology? My condolences...horrible species...just horrible...I hope you stick with physical anthropology and specialize in proto-humanity... Neanderthals! Now there's a life form!

Shadow Wolf

You're studying anthropology? My condolences...horrible species...just horrible...I hope you stick with physical anthropology and specialize in proto-humanity... Neanderthals! Now there's a life form!
Cultural, biological, and forensic anthropology is what I'm planning on studying.

Shadow Wolf

It's something with the texture of the food itself. Last time I tried Jello, which was when I was offered a jello shot, it actually started to go down, then back up, then down, back up, down, up, and eventually it finally got down to my stomach.
And I even want to go to Japan, where I'm sure alot of the food is going to be an experience with my ultra-hyper gag reflex.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
If you ever ate a lobster or crab then I regret to inform you that you have devoured a sea roach.

[youtube]czwxrjwSfMM[/youtube]

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I do not mind the idea but I would be hesitant to do so in any urban area given the possibility someone has recently sprayed them and they got away covered with pesticide.

I would like to know more about the potential effects of ingesting such compounds before I considered it - but where I sure that there were no such chemicals I would give it ago... id want them cooked first though x.x lol nice and crispy i think.

Treks

What's different about beetles and wasps compared to crickets and grasshoppers?

I'd love to try an insect (I'll try almost anything once) but the vegeratian in me isn't sure.

Shermana

Heretic
Am I the only one here that would kill for a Chaupuline taco right now?

Fried Mexican Grasshoppers, Chapulines, Will Knock You Out Of A Taco Rut | Food Republic

IMG_3056.JPG

This is one of those uncommon moments I'm jealous of Mexico. Looks like its time to make a foodquest to Oaxaca.