• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN recommends edible insects

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Ok, as a person who was previously going to go into parasitology before I chose physics... PLEASE don't eat insects raw. Do you have any idea how many organisms live in there that could potentially be with you for life?

Eating insects is a GREAT idea, but do not eat them raw! That is all. Thank you :cool:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Ok, as a person who was previously going to go into parasitology before I chose physics... PLEASE don't eat insects raw. Do you have any idea how many organisms live in there that could potentially be with you for life?

Eating insects is a GREAT idea, but do not eat them raw! That is all. Thank you :cool:
Before frying my locusts batch (with butter and garlic) I also cooked them in boiling water for 10 minutes, it kills the bacteria and makes it easier for further preparations.

Straw Dog

I'll pass on eating insects.

How do you know you won't like it if you don't try it? :D

I always look forward to my local annual insect fair. I volunteer just so I get early morning dibs on chocolate chirpies.

If people could get passed their irrational cultural barriers then they would realize cooked insects are much less disgusting than eating cows and pigs.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire

Paleontology then physics...that's the best route...especially if the class that hooks you on physics is astronomy. The parasites I learned about in biodiversity class, that's why I can never bring myself to try sushi.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Paleontology then physics...that's the best route...especially if the class that hooks you on physics is astronomy. The parasites I learned about in biodiversity class, that's why I can never bring myself to try sushi.

Just eat California Rolls, they have imitation crab meat.

Me Myself

Back to my username
UN: Eat more insects; good for you, good for world

This could be the way of the future.

Insects are a way more efficient way of obtaining protein and don't produce greenhouse gases.

This could do away with cattle ranches.

I think I'll move on down to Montana, and grow me a crop of mealy worms. I'll eat them using my zircon-encrusted tweezers.

This recomendation was since some time ago. i remember watcng it on my messenger stuff when I still used it :D

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Imitation crab...a.k.a. fish? You may want nematodes and trematodes coursing through your intestinal tract woman, but count me out.

Processed fish. I haven't heard anything about nematodes and the like surviving the manufacture of crabsticks.

Reptillian

Processed fish. I haven't heard anything about nematodes and the like surviving the manufacture of crabsticks.

You never know, natural selection is a pain in the butt. As Ian Malcom pointed out in Jurassic Park..."Life finds a way". Eggs can be durable...they're like plant seeds, but more animally.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You never know, natural selection is a pain in the butt. As Ian Malcom pointed out in Jurassic Park..."Life finds a way". Eggs can be durable...they're like plant seeds, but more animally.

Well then you might as well be worried about cooked food at that point :p

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
So out of curiosity, who here eats insects on regular basis or tried eating insects before? and which insects?
I saw various insects on food markets in Shanghai, anything from scorpions to cicadas. But in the 'developed' world insects as food are still considered exotic.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So out of curiosity, who here eats insects on regular basis and tried eating insects before? and which insects?
I saw various insects on food markets in Shanghai, anything from scorpions to cicadas. But in the 'developed' world insects as food are still considered exotic.

Unfortunately, I've never eaten an insect. I feel as though I'd like to try. I have to admit I'll have to combat the "ick" factor, but if it's properly prepared such that I know I won't get icky parasites from it, then I'm down.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Unfortunately, I've never eaten an insect. I feel as though I'd like to try. I have to admit I'll have to combat the "ick" factor, but if it's properly prepared such that I know I won't get icky parasites from it, then I'm down.
It's not the first time I see articles which discuss the benefits and needs for such reforms in diet. I wonder if we're going to see new adverts which may introduce people to their first insect-munch in the future.

For what its worth, I can recommend locusts. Not only did I not feel repelled to try it, I actually enjoyed it. But still, they could use some more meat on them.

Reptillian

Well then you might as well be worried about cooked food at that point :p

Oh I am worried about cooked food, I am! :) Have you ever thought that maybe domestic herbivores like cows could evolve defenses to our manufacturing processes that might kill off humans or interfere with our population density and help their overall reproductive fitness? My god, that stuff keeps me awake at night! ;)

apophenia

In Australia the usual figure for presence of salmonella in sushi is 80% of samples. I see no reason why it would be different in America. It seems that if you eat sushi, you are eating salmonella, it's just a case of how much. And I'm never really comfortable with rice from fast food outlets either, it can easily culture listeria. The symptoms are usually mild, and may not even be linked to food poisoning, but can be deadly in people with compromised immune systems.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So out of curiosity, who here eats insects on regular basis or tried eating insects before? and which insects?

I haven't eaten any insects. A few guys I knew who went through SEAR training in the armed forces discovered which insects were tasty and which weren't, and told me of a few beetles they liked, how you really can eat worms if you're hungry enough, and which bugs they would rather banish forever from their palate-memory.

I wish I could remember which insects they recommended. One said there was a beetle out there that tastes like lemondrops. I didn't believe him until I saw him gathering these beetles with a super-excited look on his face. :D

Shermana

Heretic
Beetle's and WASPS ain't kosher...

but Crickets and Grasshoppers sure are!

I love me some fried and chocolate covered crickets!