• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

AdamjEdgar

There is no point for you to write the whole story from Acts here. I have read it a few times.
Yes you have and yet you are incapable of comprehending that tye very history you deny is the same place where you get that history from!

Do you not see the stupidity of your claim here?

Sorry but your argument is flogging a dead horse...its been categorically and comprehensively refuted by the very historical account you are attempting to twist.

Move on or I will simply keep reposting the chapter in Acts that refutes your ridiculous claim

Kfox

a creature from outer space; extraterrestrial.
ALIEN Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com
Outter space being anything beyond Planet Earth

Proof would be testimony like in a court of law.
People convert at the sight of an ancient burial cloth with an image on it, just because someone claimed it to be the burial cloth of Jesus even though no empirical evidence was provided. A voice from the clouds or hijacked media would be far more convincing. However if you want to believe such a miracle would not work; that's fine believe whatever you want; I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
but God is not a creature.
People convert at the sight of an ancient burial cloth with an image on it, just because someone claimed it to be the burial cloth of Jesus even though no empirical evidence was provided. A voice from the clouds or hijacked media would be far more convincing. However if you want to believe such a miracle would not work; that's fine believe whatever you want; I guess we can just agree to disagree.
A voice from the sky certainly would be more convincing to me than the sight of an ancient burial cloth with an image on it, just because someone claimed it to be the burial cloth of Jesus. It'd also be more convincing to be than the Bible.

Kfox

So is your God a plant, or some type of inanimate object?
A voice from the sky certainly would be more convincing to me than the sight of an ancient burial cloth with an image on it, just because someone claimed it to be the burial cloth of Jesus. It'd also be more convincing to be than the Bible.
So you agree a lot more people would convert if a voice came from the clouds?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So is your God a plant, or some type of inanimate object?
I don't know. The Essence of God, God's intrinsic nature, is completely unknowable.
But from what the Bible says, God is spirit, so that means God is not a material being.
So you agree a lot more people would convert if a voice came from the clouds?
I don't know. I would only know if it actually happened.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well...... we both know it will never happen and why, so I guess you will never know.
I cannot say it will never happen because only God knows if it will ever happen.

All I can say is why it has never happened to date.

God chooses not to do it.

Any logical person would understand that the all-powerful God could do it if He chooses to do it, so that means that if God did not do it it is because God chooses not to do it.... This is logic 101.

No logical person would say that God does not exist because God did not do it, because there is no reason to think that God would do it if God exists, but there is a good reason to think that God would never do it. God has had since the beginning of human history to do it and if God has not done it by now there is no reason that God is suddenly going to do it.

So we are back to square one:
All you can say if you care to be logical is that you do not believe that God exists since you don't have the evidence you need to believe that God exists.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the sake of any onlookers, It = God speaking from the sky and saying "I am God and I exist."

Last edited:

Ajax

Yes you have and yet you are incapable of comprehending that tye very history you deny is the same place where you get that history from!

Do you not see the stupidity of your claim here?

Sorry but your argument is flogging a dead horse...its been categorically and comprehensively refuted by the very historical account you are attempting to twist.

Move on or I will simply keep reposting the chapter in Acts that refutes your ridiculous claim
No, you are based on miracles and contradicting fairy tale reports, in the same book. There is no question that none of the Jerusalem Church liked Paul. His claim of Jesus telling him different things during his supposed "encounter", his companions who saw the light (but weren't blinded) and didn't hear the voice, whilst later described as hearing the voice but not seeing the light, his later unilateral teachings, his lies, his arrogant style going against Peter, and especially his cursing of the disciples who were teaching Mosaic Law, were the reasons that it was the Church which changed the Ephesians attitude towards Paul. It's no coincidence that one by one, most of his companions left him and at the very end of his life, he admitted that all had deserted him (not only the Ephesians). The Acts were written by someone close to Paul, therefore would never judge him unfavorably and would find all kind of excuses to make him look good.
You must move on... because Revelation clearly and indisputably calls Paul a false apostle.

Romans 3:7 "But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?" :laughing::laughing:

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
No, you are based on miracles and contradicting fairy tale reports, in the same book. There is no question that none of the Jerusalem Church liked Paul. His claim of Jesus telling him different things during his supposed "encounter", his companions who saw the light (but weren't blinded) and didn't hear the voice, whilst later described as hearing the voice but not seeing the light, his later unilateral teachings, his lies, his arrogant style going against Peter, and especially his cursing of the disciples who were teaching Mosaic Law, were the reasons that it was the Church which changed the Ephesians attitude towards Paul. It's no coincidence that one by one, most of his companions left him and at the very end of his life, he admitted that all had deserted him (not only the Ephesians). The Acts were written by someone close to Paul, therefore would never judge him unfavorably and would find all kind of excuses to make him look good.
You must move on... because Revelation clearly and indisputably calls Paul a false apostle.

Romans 3:7 "But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?" :laughing::laughing:
I didn't read all of your post; I stopped at " There is no question that none of the Jerusalem Church liked Paul". Clearly you are wrong. The Bible says "On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel for the circumcised 8 (for he who worked through Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also worked through me in sending me to the gentiles), and when James and Cephas and John, who were acknowledged pillars, recognized the grace that had been given to me, they gave to Barnabas and me the right hand of fellowship, agreeing that we should go to the gentiles and they to the circumcised. They asked only one thing, that we remember the poor, which was actually what I was eager to do." Galatians 2:7-10

Clearly, your post is written by someone opposed to Paul, therefore you could never judge him favorably and would find all kind of excuses to make him look bad.

And taking Paul's writing out of context shows your obvious bias. Romans 3:5-8 "But if our injustice serves to confirm the justice of God, what should we say? That God is unjust to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.) By no means! For then how could God judge the world? 7 But if through my falsehood God’s truthfulness abounds to his glory, why am I still being judged as a sinner? And why not say (as some people slander us by saying that we say), “Let us do evil so that good may come”? Their judgment is deserved!".

Clearly Paul is showing that people's judgement of him is clearly unfounded. That includes your biased judgement.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Agreed.
So it seems you are claiming that God is terrestrial...

The definition is not limited to creatures it includes everything and anything that is not from Earth.

the "Not from Earth" is the point, not what it is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Agreed.
So it seems you are claiming that God is terrestrial...

The definition is not limited to creatures it includes everything and anything that is not from Earth.

the "Not from Earth" is the point, not what it is.
Just because God is "Not from Earth" that does not mean that God is an alien, according to the definition of alien that I posted.
I now feel a need to clear up what I believe about God, what we can know about God and what we cannot ever know.

God in the Baháʼí Faith

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Baháʼí view of God is essentially monotheistic. God is the imperishable, uncreated being who is the source of all existence.[1] He is described as "a personal God, unknowable, inaccessible, the source of all Revelation, eternal, omniscient, omnipresent and almighty".[2][3] Though transcendent and inaccessible directly, his image is reflected in his creation. The purpose of creation is for the created to have the capacity to know and love its creator.[4] God communicates his will and purpose to humanity through intermediaries, known as Manifestations of God, who are the prophets and messengers that have founded religions from prehistoric times up to the present day.[5]

The Baháʼí teachings state that there is only one God and that his essence is absolutely inaccessible from the physical realm of existence and that, therefore, his reality is completely unknowable. Thus, all of humanity's conceptions of God which have been derived throughout history are mere manifestations of the human mind and not at all reflective of the nature of God's essence. While God's essence is inaccessible, a subordinate form of knowledge is available by way of mediation by divine messengers, known as Manifestations of God.

The Manifestations of God reflect divine attributes, which are creations of God made for the purpose of spiritual enlightenment, onto the physical plane of existence.[6] All physical beings reflect at least one of these attributes, and the human soul can potentially reflect all of them.[7] Shoghi Effendi, the head of the Baháʼí Faith in the first half of the 20th century, described God as inaccessible, omniscient, almighty, personal, and rational, and rejected pantheistic, anthropomorphic and incarnationist beliefs.[2]

Personal God

While the Baháʼí writings teach of a personal god who is a being with a personality (including the capacity to reason and to feel love), they clearly state that this does not imply a human or physical form.[2] Shoghi Effendi writes:

What is meant by personal God is a God Who is conscious of His creation, Who has a Mind, a Will, a Purpose, and not, as many scientists and materialists believe, an unconscious and determined force operating in the universe. Such conception of the Divine Being, as the Supreme and ever present Reality in the world, is not anthropomorphic, for it transcends all human limitations and forms, and does by no means attempt to define the essence of Divinity which is obviously beyond any human comprehension. To say that God is a personal Reality does not mean that He has a physical form, or does in any way resemble a human being. To entertain such belief would be sheer blasphemy.[15][16]

God in the Baháʼí Faith

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God simply put salvation of the soul into the trust of human scholars. Isn't that wonderful? We need miles of archaeological evidence to get to heaven, and from select sources. Well done!

No the Bible is the only source of evidence for a long list of Godly events that are required belief to get to heaven. Even better! What corroboration! What simplicity! Rubbish actually!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God simply put salvation of the soul into the trust of human scholars. Isn't that wonderful? We need miles of archaeological evidence to get to heaven, and from select sources. Well done!
No, God did not do that.... That is only what Christians would have you believe. :rolleyes:
No the Bible is the only source of evidence for a long list of Godly events that are required belief to get to heaven. Even better! What corroboration! What simplicity! Rubbish actually!
Whether the events in the Bible are Godly or only human remains an open question.
The Bible is rubbish actually, exactly what we would expect to see in a book written by fallible men.

The hundred-dollar question is why a nonbeliever would pay any attention to the Bible. :confused:

osgart

No, God did not do that.... That is only what Christians would have you believe. :rolleyes:

Whether the events in the Bible are Godly or only human remains an open question.
The Bible is rubbish actually, exactly what we would expect to see in a book written by fallible men.

The hundred-dollar question is why a nonbeliever would pay any attention to the Bible. :confused:
Well I grew up with a Bible believing family. It was a dominating influence in the house. I still have a brother who tries to coerce me into being a believer because he cares about me.

I've mostly recognized that it is nonsense early on. However non believers can be influenced by it through endless influences and repetitious teachings.

Question: How does a Ba'hai reject the Bible and Qur'an? I can see the appeal of believing in a non Abrahamic God. I thought Ba'hai's accepted the Abrahamic God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well I grew up with a Bible believing family. It was a dominating influence in the house. I still have a brother who tries to coerce me into being a believer because he cares about me.

I've mostly recognized that it is nonsense early on. However non believers can be influenced by it through endless influences and repetitious teachings.
Well, then that explains it, although lots of people who grew up in a Bible believing family have flat out rejected Christianity and the Bible.
We humans are all different in how we see things. ;)
Question: How does a Ba'hai reject the Bible and Qur'an? I can see the appeal of believing in a non Abrahamic God. I thought Ba'hai's accepted the Abrahamic God.
As I said above, we humans are all different in how we see things, so not all Baha'is view the Bible in the same way.

Baha'i views of the Bible vary widely. My views lie in the middle area, although more and more I am leaning towards the liberal, scholarly view.

Introduction

Although Bahá'ís universally share a great respect for the Bible, and acknowledge its status as sacred literature, their individual views about its authoritative status range along the full spectrum of possibilities. At one end there are those who assume the uncritical evangelical or fundamentalist-Christian view that the Bible is wholly and indisputably the word of God. At the other end are Bahá'ís attracted to the liberal, scholarly conclusion that the Bible is no more than a product of complex historical and human forces. Between these extremes is the possibility that the Bible contains the Word of God, but only in a particular sense of the phrase 'Word of God' or in particular texts. I hope to show that a Bahá'í view must lie in this middle area, and can be defined to some degree.

Conclusion

The Bahá'í viewpoint proposed by this essay has been established as follows: The Bible is a reliable source of Divine guidance and salvation, and rightly regarded as a sacred and holy book. However, as a collection of the writings of independent and human authors, it is not necessarily historically accurate. Nor can the words of its writers, although inspired, be strictly defined as 'The Word of God' in the way the original words of Moses and Jesus could have been. Instead there is an area of continuing interest for Bahá'í scholars, possibly involving the creation of new categories for defining authoritative religious literature.

A Baháí View of the Bible

I agree with his conclusion, although I am not sure I believe that the words of the Bible writers were divinely inspired. Moreover, I believe that some of what is written in the Bible is patently false, so in my mind that could not have been divinely inspired, since God does not inspire falsehoods, only truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Qur'an Baha'is universally view it as authentic and accurate.

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words.
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments

Kfox

I cannot say it will never happen because only God knows if it will ever happen.

All I can say is why it has never happened to date.

God chooses not to do it.

Any logical person would understand that the all-powerful God could do it if He chooses to do it, so that means that if God did not do it it is because God chooses not to do it.... This is logic 101.
The problem with your logic 101 is in order to see the logic, you are required to make the leap that God actually exists. You are willing to make that leap, I'm not; this is the crux of our disagreement.
No logical person would say that God does not exist because God did not do it,
It all depends on your description of God. If you claim your God is fair and wise, then logic dictates if your God does exist, he is neither fair nor wise, because if he were, he would behave in a way that was fair and wise so for him to depend on unreliable messengers indicates he is either unfair to his creation by remaining hidden from them, then punishing them for going against his will, or he is unwise and too foolish to understand that if you want something done, it is better to do it yourself rather than depending on messengers that can easily be impersonated by the criminal element giving the wrong message leading innocent truth seekers astray.

Last edited:

osgart

Well, then that explains it, although lots of people who grew up in a Bible believing family have flat out rejected Christianity and the Bible.
We humans are all different in how we see things. ;)

As I said above, we humans are all different in how we see things, so not all Baha'is view the Bible in the same way.

Baha'i views of the Bible vary widely. My views lie in the middle area, although more and more I am leaning towards the liberal, scholarly view.

Introduction

Although Bahá'ís universally share a great respect for the Bible, and acknowledge its status as sacred literature, their individual views about its authoritative status range along the full spectrum of possibilities. At one end there are those who assume the uncritical evangelical or fundamentalist-Christian view that the Bible is wholly and indisputably the word of God. At the other end are Bahá'ís attracted to the liberal, scholarly conclusion that the Bible is no more than a product of complex historical and human forces. Between these extremes is the possibility that the Bible contains the Word of God, but only in a particular sense of the phrase 'Word of God' or in particular texts. I hope to show that a Bahá'í view must lie in this middle area, and can be defined to some degree.

Conclusion

The Bahá'í viewpoint proposed by this essay has been established as follows: The Bible is a reliable source of Divine guidance and salvation, and rightly regarded as a sacred and holy book. However, as a collection of the writings of independent and human authors, it is not necessarily historically accurate. Nor can the words of its writers, although inspired, be strictly defined as 'The Word of God' in the way the original words of Moses and Jesus could have been. Instead there is an area of continuing interest for Bahá'í scholars, possibly involving the creation of new categories for defining authoritative religious literature.

A Baháí View of the Bible

I agree with his conclusion, although I am not sure I believe that the words of the Bible writers were divinely inspired. Moreover, I believe that some of what is written in the Bible is patently false, so in my mind that could not have been divinely inspired, since God does not inspire falsehoods, only truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Qur'an Baha'is universally view it as authentic and accurate.

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words.
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments
My conscience forbids me from accepting the Abrahamic God. Not to mention that it has no divine inspiration.

If there is a God it is the unknown God. And if God is the Truth, then surely there are other Gods that are equal.

The universe is not a benevolent place. I'm more inclined to accept Brahman as the ultimate reality, although all life is eternally separate individual souls, and the ultimate reality is impersonal though purely intelligent, and constantly creating endless possibilities.

This world is a passing illusion; Maya. The universe but one vast drop in the ocean veiling us from ultimate reality.

Beyond that I'd be speculating too much.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My conscience forbids me from accepting the Abrahamic God. Not to mention that it has no divine inspiration.
I would never accept the Abrahamic God based upon the Bible. I only accept that God based upon what Baha'u'llah wrote.
If there is a God it is the unknown God.
God is largely unknown, except for some of His attributes, but I prefer not to slap attributes on God, the way other Abrahamic believers do.
And if God is the Truth, then surely there are other Gods that are equal.
If God is the Truth why would there be other Gods that are equal?
The universe is not a benevolent place. I'm more inclined to accept Brahman as the ultimate reality, although all life is eternally separate individual souls, and the ultimate reality is impersonal though purely intelligent, and constantly creating endless possibilities.
I can certainly agree with that, which is why I question the Christian and Baha'i belief that God is all-loving.
I just cannot make that belief work in my logical mind.